I'm an idiot and feel bad (new band didn't work out)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I really thought I could be patient and work with this new band that wanted to play the blues. But in the end, I had to leave. I just didn't have the time to play with people learning how to play the blues. In my current world, the blues is what the band would play at the end when they ran out of stuff to play and it gave everybody a chance to stretch out and solo (like a time filler). I appreciate real blues, but I just could not stay in a "student" blues situation. I really thought I could, but just ran out of patience.

They did find another guy more at their level and they're happy. I just don't know if I should feel bad for wasting their time, or wasting mine. Does that sound mean?

No, you should not feel bad. Sometimes bands do not work out for various reasons. Stuff happens. You probably did not waste their time. Peace and goodwill.

At one point I played with a couple of friends who could only get Hey Joe and random blues jams together. Nicest guys, but it was the most monotonous playing I've ever experienced. Really it ruined the blues for me. So yea, get yourself out of there and don't feel bad. As you said, it's better for everyone now anyway.

When I was about 17 I was in a covers band. We did a lot of rehearsing but never played out - at least not with me. An interesting set list, numbers by The Who, Dire Straits. All good stuff. Except they had a number of Oasis songs in there. I hate Oasis.

The point where I knew it wasn't for me was when they turned around and asked me - 'Hey, Duncan. How do you know all of these songs? We're just calling them out here!'

I bluntly turned around and said 'It's because they're all the same.'

I think that was my last rehearsal with them. And no, I will not play &%*^ing 'Wonderwall' ever again. I'd still play Dire Straits though. 'Romeo and Juliet' was great fun.

With the preface that I'm not implying I am some super fantastic drummer or musician in general: I left a band after a couple years because my skill level was much further ahead of the other musicians. Really nice dudes and we did some fun weird stuff but at the end of the day I can't sit down and play a basic 4/4 for an hour while two dudes are trying to figure out scales and are not yet to a level of understanding that they were not even in tune. Everyone starts somewhere, I'm not knocking beginners. But I am at a point in my personal journey with music that I need to share the stage with somewhat competent players.

The Blues ain't nothing but a good short guy feel'n bad..
I am singing the blues about quitting a student blues band ;)
Also it's worth noting that blues is only really truly fun for the guitar player. Everyone else is super bored.
I dunno - when the whole band is into it, the blues can be pretty magical (if they're all at the same level). I see it as a platform for all the musicians to show off their playing - and it equalizes everybody since everyone knows the song form so well, if they play anything weird or too outside, it will be heard by everybody. Kinda' like when, after a concert, Elvis and his band would stay up singing gospel songs til dawn ;)

I am singing the blues about quitting a student blues band ;)

I dunno - when the whole band is into it, the blues can be pretty magical (if they're all at the same level). I see it as a platform for all the musicians to show off their playing - and it equalizes everybody since everyone knows the song form so well, if they play anything weird or too outside, it will be heard by everybody. Kinda' like when, after a concert, Elvis and his band would stay up singing gospel songs til dawn ;)
I'll give you that, good point

You feel bad?...why?..they now have a drummer without your experience so things will most likely just disintegrate. You could have single handedly put them on another level but you left. They now realize that they are nothing but average without your experienced groove ability. You can actually sleep tonight?..after reading your post I felt pure evil in the atmosphere. And you feel bad...isnt that special. Bo..id have done the very same thing.. 😃.

Also it's worth noting that blues is only really truly fun for the guitar player. Everyone else is super bored.
As long as the guitarist/organist/singer have the blues (really HAVE the blues) they can take everyone else along for the ride and it is spine tingling

You don't have to do much but being in the boat and helping it happen is far from boring for me

I understand completely. I can't be in bands with terrible vocalists. I've stuck it out a few times in the past to "be nice" but no more. I just find a graceful way to exit and then move on.

Dang Bo sounds like you got the blues man. Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 7.41.56 PM.png

I guess I’m lucky…I’m playing in a blues band with two superb front guys, one who plays guitar and harp, the other who plays guitar like nobody I’ve seen. And the drummer used to tour with Joe Louis Walker, and everyone sings. And then the guitar/harp guy and I have an acoustic act with a super finger picker who plays like a cross between Robert Johnson and Jorma Kaukonen. And sings.

I’ve discovered that playing blues with newbs isn’t a lot of fun, but with dudes like these, it’s a lot of fun and quite challenging. So don’t give up hope for the blues quite yet!

Back