Ignorant Noob Question... Again. Is This "A Thing"?

Jeremy Crockett

I have a set of pedals like these and never really considered that the rod connecting the two pedals would be fragile?

DrummerPSA.jpg

Is this accurate?

I wouldn't say the connecting rod is fragile, but if those u-joints develop play in them, that means more sluggish response from the slave pedal. Therefore, I certainly wouldn't manhandle the thing, nor would I carry the pedals by the linkage on the regular. I wouldn't be afraid to carefully handle it now and then, though. It's not going to break, it's just a matter of potential premature wear.

I wonder how many people think that the snare wires are the handle. honey...ive got your snare for ya....thanks dear.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iCe
My bass player used to do this constantly. Driveshafts should have a bright orange "NOT A HANDLE" printed on them.

Im having a hard time coming up with a scenerio where the pedals woud be assembled sitting in the middle of the floor? I connect the main pedal to the bass drum, add the shaft, then connect the slave pedal. why would anyone assemble it and try to move it as one piece?

Im having a hard time coming up with a scenerio where the pedals woud be assembled sitting in the middle of the floor? I connect the main pedal to the bass drum, add the shaft, then connect the slave pedal. why would anyone assemble it and try to move it as one piece?
I never disconnect mine. Just carry them by the two hex shafts.

Reactions: iCe
I never disconnect mine. Just carry them by the two hex shafts.
See mine were transported in their case so they had to be taken apart, if you leve them assembled, why wouldnt someone assume that they coul be picked up by the shaft. and to carry them with two hands by the hex shaft is just silly, its like your carrying a hot pan or something.

See mine were transported in their case so they had to be taken apart, if you leve them assembled, why wouldnt someone assume that they coul be picked up by the shaft. and to carry them with two hands by the hex shaft is just silly, its like your carrying a hot pan or something.
It doesn't seem silly to me. Wouldn't it support the weight of the pedals and minimize torque on the u-joints? You're basically carrying a pedal in each hand, with the drive shaft between them...

Mine didnt come with a case. I've never had a pedal come with a case actually, new or used.

I received a Trick driveshaft as a gift a couple years ago. Its built like a tank. I still wouldnt use it as a handle. It didn't come with a case either.

It doesn't seem silly to me. Wouldn't it support the weight of the pedals and minimize torque on the u-joints? You're basically carrying a pedal in each hand, with the drive shaft between them...
so you carry the double pedal into a gig like its a little baby in your arms, I have never seen a drummer do that before. why waste an entire trip loading in or out just for the predals? Thats insane.

Mine didnt come with a case. I've never had a pedal come with a case actually, new or used.

I received a Trick driveshaft as a gift a couple years ago. Its built like a tank. I still wouldnt use it as a handle. It didn't come with a case either.
mine were pearl eliminators, they always come with a case? if you feel the shaft ends are so fragile/weak, buy a case to save a trip with the pedals only in your hands. If i saw a drummer loading in and making a special trip just for their pedals that were pre-assembled assembled i would honeslty laugh.

so you carry the double pedal into a gig like its a little baby in your arms, I have never seen a drummer do that before. why waste an entire trip loading in or out just for the predals? Thats insane.
I don't think C Dave Run gigs anymore, so he's just moving them around his house. That's why we are thinking about it differently, I bet. I'm picturing him moving them across the den, you're picturing him loading in, lol.

mine were pearl eliminators, they always come with a case?
Nope, mine had no case. I bought them in the 90s when they first came out.

I don't think C Dave Run gigs anymore, so he's just moving them around his house. That's why we are thinking about it differently, I bet. I'm picturing him moving them across the den, you're picturing him loading in, lol.
Yes, they move maybe 10 feet now once every few months.

If i saw a drummer loading in and making a special trip just for their pedals that were pre-assembled assembled i would honeslty laugh.
So now we have transportation haters, on top of DW haters, on top of Stage Custom haters...

I haven't had a double pedal since around '93, but prior to that I wouldn't have carried the pedals by the center shaft.
I can't recall seeing others do it, but know it happens.

I've worked on becoming proficient with a single pedal over the years, and I've been thinking to get a DP again for creating different feels, and it'd be nice for endings, ruffs, etc...
On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to deal with the set up, carrying, let alone getting into drive shafts and all that--because I would $$$ gearhead disease haha!
I've been bringing two identical single pedals (one case) to shows for decades. Snares too, in one case.
Maybe exceessine to some, but I've never had to stop/slow a performance because of gear failure.
That's worth my 1 extra trip loading in.

Well, here’s an even bigger noob question: what’s a noob doing with a double pedal anyway? Having a double pedal in the beginning doesn’t do a new player any favors because he gets distracted from the fact that he needs to be able to play solid time. And that doesn’t happen when you give a double pedal to anyone.

So the connecting Rod isn’t an issue to me because there would be no connecting rod to begin with.

I've owned 3 Tama double pedals and all the linkage was steel and it didn't bother me to carry them like that at all. However I've seen some, notably drum workshop that looks like they're aluminum and I would worry about those or if I had a trick drive shaft that had nice bearings and I would not want to carry my pedals like that. I don't think the weight of those pedals is even close to the the pressure and friction that we put on them playing double kick especially if you dead head.

Back