I know this is a drum forum but... what are your favorite guitar solos?

doggyd69b

Gold Member
Drums alone don't make a band.
So, what are your top 3 guitar solos?
Mine are:
1. Cinderella the song Don't know what you got till it's gone.
2. Whitesnake the song is this love.
3 Guns n roses the song November rain.

Very simple solos but very memorable to me.

Of course, I'm not discounting anything from Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, EVH, Dimebag, etcetera.

Which ones are yours?

Just examples of course, but off the top of my head....Sultans Of Swing by Mark Knopfler, Stratus by Tommy Bolin and Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield are three guitar solos I can sing by heart, not because I consciously learnt them, but simply because somehow they got stuck in my memory.

Edit : of course there's a part two in Sultans Of Swing that is equally iconic to me.

oh gawd....that is hard

1. La Villa Stangiato, live from Exit Stage Left- Alex Lifeson - Rush
2. Wasted Years - Dave Murray/Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
3. Awakening - Grant Truesdell/Andrew Kingley - Unleash The Archers
4. Diary of A Madman - Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne

this might be a harder questino for me than most favorite drum solos!!!

This is another one of those solos that is just etched in my brain...the great Eddie Van Halen

And before I forget it....just about every guitar solo on this album by Jeff Beck

Same. I could sit here all night racking my brain on this one. I mostly drum to and listen to "guitar music" lol.

same here...it is actually weird that I never even remotely wanted to learn to play guitar. All of this guitar laden music, and I was drawn to the drums and bass instead...which means it is also drums and bass music too!!

Three that come to mind.

Hereafter - Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse
Hazard Profile - Soft Machine, Allan Holdsworth
Tommy - Focus, Jan Akkerman

I'm a guitar fan from way back and there's tons that I enjoy about the same - Tommy Bolin in Stratus, about 10 Beck solos and three or four each by Uncle Frank, McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Larry Caryell, Fripp and Steve Hillage. Neil Schon in Journey's Topaz or Santana's Batuka. Pat Thrall in Stomu Yamashta's crossing the Line.

The big rock guys like Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy page, Dave Gilmour, Angus Young, Robin Trower, Tony Iommi, Eddie VH, Slash, Prince, Carlos, and so many others have played fantastic solos through their whole careers. That's not counting monster fusion players like Daryl Steurmer, Ray Gomez, Andy Summers, Stev Khan, Larry Carlton (Point It Up), Lee Ritenour (Captain Fingers!),

The question is not fair. Should have been the top 300 solos :)

Last edited:
Favorite question ever..on a drum forum. I'm a wannabe guitarist and there have been solos that will always be with me..usually very simple. The solo on Nowhere man (Beatles) is one. I was driving around town one summer 🌙 night and a tune by Bachman Turner Overdrive called Down down was playing..Randy Bachmans solo as simple as it was riveted me. #3 and I love it to this day is the solo on Frees Alright now. Can I mention a fourth?..Ritchie Blackmores solo on Deep Purples No no no.

Neil Young's simple, single note guitar lead on "Cinnamon Girl"

I'm partially kidding, but I have to give him credit for not showing off lol.

I don't have a favorite drummer but I have a favorite guitar player.

It's not Neil.

Neil Young's simple, single note guitar lead on "Cinnamon Girl"

I'm partially kidding, but I have to give him credit for not showing off lol.

I don't have a favorite drummer but I have a favorite guitar player.

It's not Neil.
Larry..i gotta press reply...possibly one of the simplest solos of all time yet amazingly effective. I didn't want to list to many but that is easily in my top 5.

Knowhere Man?.......Absolutely!!!....that tone and pling and clang.
Cinnamon Girl?........Iconic!!......we all wait for that part in the song.

Knowhere Man?.......Absolutely!!!....that tone and pling and clang.
Cinnamon Girl?........Iconic!!......we all wait for that part in the song.
The tone on Nowhere man makes me think that Harrison's strings were glass!. Like you said..not only the solo but that sound! 🎶 😃.

Back