Heaviest piece of gear you've had to move when gigging?

I once bought a large hardware case around 1990 that fit everything. That was back when I used extremely heavy duty hardware. The case was so big and heavy, I could barely move it alone. I remember going down a flight of stairs at our practice space and the case has so heavy, it pulled me down right on top of it. I wasn't injured, but it went up for sale the next day.

I've also owned PA speakers that I had to move alone. Those days are over.

Last edited:
Occasionally I help mount a speaker on a stand. :)

This is the worst job, by far. Last Summer my band played a big biker club. Our lead guy is a local legend, and respected (feared) by all. He's getting on in years and I was laughing as he was struggling to lift a 15" speaker cabinet atop a stand. He was cussing like the proverbial sailor. I jumped in to help him. Trying to get that stupid peg in the stupid hole while you're lifting a heavy object shoulder height while the other guy is releasing a string of expletives is no fun, but still very funny. :)

The dude is hilarious! He thinks that if you scream at the inanimate object loud enough it will magically levitate, position itself and gently rest atop the stand without incident. Lifting PA speakers on a stand is the worst. I'll carry the bass amp or the drum hardware case any time!

Last edited:
What's the heaviest piece of gear you've had to move or help move at a gig?

No forklifts allowed!

Here is my submission. We used to haul around an old Peavey Versarray system. The sub cabs were 204 lbs each. Each mains cabinet was 65 lbs, and you have to lift them over your head to mount them.

I don't know much those amp racks weighed, but they were nothing compared to these. It sounded fantastic but it simply wasn't worth the sore backs and frustration. I loved unloading these in the gravel then having to carry them to where we were going. Ugh.

View attachment 144806

We used to haul around an old Peavey Versarray system. The sub cabs were 204 lbs each. Each mains cabinet was 65 lbs, and you have to lift them over your head to mount them.
Which is exactly why we offered a Vermette lift with them ;)

Well lads....first it was the B-3's.
Then it was the "Stonehenge" prop....once they got the dimensions correct......it was very heavy.

Well lads....first it was the B-3's
My first band, back in high school, we hauled around an A-100 (the full cabinet + speaker version of the B-3) plus a Leslie.

As far as my own gear, I remember my old fiberboard trap case was a back breaker. Probably why my back’s so messed up now.

But for the actual drums… Remo Acousticon kit. Gotta be just about the heaviest drums ever made.

I realize that’s nothing compared to the porky one’s original post… but he asked, I answered.

Where is @TheJarvis ? Would love to see a pic of that badass 400 snare drum on this heavy lifting thread!!:love:(y)
And here I am, besides a cast snare drum a Yamaha PHX bass drum is up there but nothing compares to a SKB case full of DW 9000 hardware up three flights of stairs.

Last edited:
And here I am, besides a cast snare drum a Yamaha PHX bass drum is up there but nothing compares to a cup SKB case full of DW 9000 hardware up three flights of stairs.

That 9000 hardware ain't no joke! Mine stays at home now. Back when we were traveling with a trailer all of the time, I used a big, heavy duty SKB hardware case. I don't know if a hardware soft case would have handled it all. I don't even know if I could have lifted it into the car.

That 9000 hardware ain't no joke! Mine stays at home now. Back when we were traveling with a trailer all of the time, I used a big, heavy duty SKB hardware case. I don't know if a hardware soft case would have handled it all. I don't even know if I could have lifted it into the car.
I didn't try the 9000 stuff in my Protection Racket trolley bag but the Yamaha heavy hardware wore that thing out in about 3 years, SKB is 10 years old and still going strong. I did lend it to a friend for one gig, he dragged it on one wheel giving it a flat spot but besides that....it's amazing.

Back