Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,
Two questions:
Do you have advise for playing the attached backbeat by hitting the second ghost note evenly (left hand) without making it sound like two accented notes? You do it so effortlessly and I've been trying to work on this for a while. I realize practicing over and over is probably the key but wanted to see what you are thinking or feeling when you play it.

Also, will Terry Branam be transcribing any "Pineapple Thief" songs in the future? I always liked his work that he did with you.
Thank you,
Stuart

1711285872633.png

Do you have advise for playing the attached backbeat by hitting the second ghost note evenly (left hand) without making it sound like two accented notes?
I guess it's something I have been doing for so long I stopped thinking about it. However - depending how hard you hit that first snare accent (and I do tend to rimshot 99% of my snare accents) the second note is almost inaudible. If you do rimshot the accent and tap the following ghost note - the volume difference should be pretty extreme.
Also, will Terry Branam be transcribing any "Pineapple Thief" songs in the future? I always liked his work that he did with you.
It is a plan we have been thinking about. Stay tuned !

cheers
Gavin

My teacher suggested that when I play a ghost note after a full hit, to loosen the grip and let the stick sort of drop. It worked for me. I hope it helps.

I guess it's something I have been doing for so long I stopped thinking about it. However - depending how hard you hit that first snare accent (and I do tend to rimshot 99% of my snare accents) the second note is almost inaudible. If you do rimshot the accent and tap the following ghost note - the volume difference should be pretty extreme.

It is a plan we have been thinking about. Stay tuned !

cheers
Gavin
Thank you Gavin!!!

My teacher suggested that when I play a ghost note after a full hit, to loosen the grip and let the stick sort of drop. It worked for me. I hope it helps.
Thank you Lunasee! That's exactly how I do it but the rebound seems to be just high enough to not be even (or consistent) with the rest of my ghost notes. I'm just going to make it a repetition "thing" and keep working on it. Thanks again.......

Hey Mr. Gavin,

do you know the record Yellow Moon by The Neville Brothers?

I think you might enjoy it :D

Last edited:
Gavin, do you have a particular approach to dominant/ non-dominant leading hand? I've seen you switch to playing grooves or fills leading with the left hand so you can orchestrate your right hand more freely, but as far as rolls, etc, do you err more toward phrases like left-leading up the kit, or arranging so that it's more comfortable with the right leading? (ie: adding foot rolls to cover the transition). I feel like I've passed the bell curve on trying to become ambidextrous, and now trying to lead with my weaker hand on stage/ while recording is sabotaging me more than it's helping me

do you know the record Yellow Moon by The Neville Brothers?
I do now. Thanks.

do you have a particular approach to dominant/ non-dominant leading hand? I've seen you switch to playing grooves or fills leading with the left hand so you can orchestrate your right hand more freely, but as far as rolls, etc, do you err more toward phrases like left-leading up the kit, or arranging so that it's more comfortable with the right leading? (ie: adding foot rolls to cover the transition).
I don't really have a particular approach. If I'm riding with my left (on the hi hats or left side China cymbal) I might hit the downbeats on the crash (in front of me) with my left. When I play fills up the toms I still lead with my right hand - and therefore start with the hands split between two floor toms so they don't fall over each other (if you see what I mean). In fact I tend to keep my hands split between toms even if I make an ascending fill. I just prefer the sound of that.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin, hope you’re well! Few things to ask :

1) When you do a flam where both sticks hit the snare, is the softer hit of the flam still a rimshot like the louder stick? The example in my head would be “Blackest Eyes” where you flam solely on the snare a few times both in the intro and outro.

2) While watching the C/C Live Blu-ray, on “Chimera’s Wreck” I was wondering which model of brushes you were using.

3) I noticed in several of your Vic Firth YouTube performances of The Pineapple Thief tracks, that it seems like sometimes your usual bass drum strokes appear to be followed by soft hits such as about 18 seconds in to this “Rubicon” video. Are you doing that as a nod to feathering the bass drum like in your jazz gigs in the past or is that happening due to pedal settings?

As always, thank you for your time! Also seen you twice with Porcupine Tree and twice with The Pineapple Thief and will see you again in NYC November!

- Salvador

1) When you do a flam where both sticks hit the snare, is the softer hit of the flam still a rimshot like the louder stick? The example in my head would be “Blackest Eyes” where you flam solely on the snare a few times both in the intro and outro.
Yes, in the case of 'power flams' (like the intro of Blackest Eyes) both strokes would be rimshots.
2) While watching the C/C Live Blu-ray, on “Chimera’s Wreck” I was wondering which model of brushes you were using.
They are the Vic Firth Rute 505 model
3) I noticed in several of your Vic Firth YouTube performances of The Pineapple Thief tracks, that it seems like sometimes your usual bass drum strokes appear to be followed by soft hits such as about 18 seconds in to this “Rubicon” video. Are you doing that as a nod to feathering the bass drum like in your jazz gigs in the past or is that happening due to pedal settings?
Well spotted. No, they are just accidental notes of my foot resting the beater - but of course inaudible in a really loud song like this.

cheers
Gavin

All makes sense, thanks! Did you find those accidental notes occurred when using Axis or other pedals too or is that specific to the Speed Cobras?

- Salvador

Back