fell into drumming, now addicted, please help

Hello everyone!
I am new here. I always wanted to try drums, but never got to it, there was always a bill to pay or a job to do, or something that'd get in the way.
Anyway, recently moved into a new house and there's loads of stuff been left behind by the previous owners... including some drums!
So I took a trip to the closest drum shop and bought a seat and some sticks and started trying to play along with stuff that I like. It's fun. It's great fun! I can drum for a couple of hours and more without stopping smiling.
I don't actually know any real drummers, and when I looked for lessons I discovered we don't live near any so I have looked for beginner videos on youtube and similar. There are loads on hand technique and loads on foot technique. But HOW do I separate the hands and the feet?!? I must have some weird tendon or something in my body that connects my right hand to my right foot so my hi hat playing gets thrown when I play a double on the kick pedal. How do you folks stop this happening?!? It's doubly strange because if i play an intentional double on the hat my foot doesn't mirror it on the kick. Is there a particular routine I can use to practice my way out of this or some special trick that drummers know? It's driving me beserk!

I must have some weird tendon or something in my body that connects my right hand to my right foot so my hi hat playing gets thrown when I play a double on the kick pedal. How do you folks stop this happening?!?
Nothing weird about that - we've all been there. The answer to most coordination problems is isolating the problem, slowing the part down and repeating it (maybe to what seems painfully slow. Don't worry - it's about precision and getting it right, so slow tempos give you the opportunity to really pay attention to your placement and sound). Get it right a couple of times and you'll quickly see results at faster tempos! So your personal exercise could be something like Bass+Hat, only Bass, only Hat, rest - that would be four 16th notes (including the rest) with the Hi Hat playing continuous 8th notes.
You'll find a lot on independence, interdependence and coordination in books and online. The terms are sometimes used to talk about the same thing, but they can also lead to some debates. Independence does not mean that the different hands and feet have nothing to do with one another, but that you can play e.g. a rhythm with your right foot without messing up your right hand and vice versa.

You can use books and videos to point you in the direction of limb independence, but you will always need to sit at the kit and work it out. Every drummer has done this! Start slowly with the “money beat” (kick on 1 & 3, snare on 2 & 4) and it will slowly unfold for you. As you gain independence you can then work on more difficult patterns.

And welcome to the wonderful world of drums, where every band needs one and no neighbor wants one.

But HOW do I separate the hands and the feet?!? I must have some weird tendon or something in my body that connects my right hand to my right foot so my hi hat playing gets thrown when I play a double on the kick pedal. How do you folks stop this happening?!?
Its completely normal for beginners to have trouble with the whole left/right hand/foot thing. Nothing to worry about. Most people drive their cars without even thinking about it and that has a similar choreography between the limbs to it. Well, atleast in europe it does, where practically everyone drives manual shift.

SLOW SLOW SLOW!

Did I mention slow? Did I mention you should do it painfully slow?

There's no easy shortcuts to learning. You start with the most basic of single stroke rolls at a very slow tempo for a little, gradually work in the bass and hi hat (I was told to do bass first, then add hi hat when you get comfy with the bass foot. It's a process but it won't take forever.

Practice, practice, practice. Since it sounds like it's something you love doing, it won't even seem like work. Also, watch out for the neat drum stuff bug that quite often comes around and bites you. It makes you spend money and puts a smile on your face from ear to ear. That son of b*tch bit me in the a** many years ago and has stayed with me ever since. H*ll, he's now part of the family. He even has his own spot at the supper table.

There is no cure for this addiction but what better to be addicted to-I’d go with it. The only downside is if you don’t wear hearing protection like I never did doing anything loud. I had super hearing at one time-hear a gnat fart but now I can’t hear a tornado. Have fun -protect hearing.

Last edited:
Don't forget to buy a life jacket, because you're gonna be drowning in women. ;)
[feels skeptical, realizes he's married and has four daughters]

000.gif

Slow down, create your own exercises. Play quarter notes on hi hat while playing double on kick drum. Practice every day. You won't learn the skill in one day, but after a few days you should notice that you are better at it.

But HOW do I separate the hands and the feet?!?
I use the following method. It's ALL in the brain. If you can play 2 things at a time but the 3rd thing is throwing you off for instance, play the 2 things you can play with no problem...and without playing the "problem" limb at all (just rest it), vocalize the 3rd part (or the 4th part).

If you're like me, even thinking about the problem part..while I'm playing the other 2 parts...throws my other limbs off. That's normal.

What I do, is to simply try and vocalize the problem part. (Just thinking the part is the pre-cursor) Once I can vocalize it without it throwing my other limbs off, only then will I start to actually play it. This takes me like 5-30 minutes of laser focus, And I sound like a blithering idiot in those minutes. But then I have it for life.

This is how I overcome all my coordination issues, by vocalizing the problem part until I get it right while playing the other parts that I can.

You are wiring/forging brand new electrical pathways/circuits in your brain when you do this, so allow the process to unfold organically.

Another thing that helps me...Working on something for like 10 laser focused minutes, not getting it, then taking a 20 minute break and trying again. My brain continues working out the problem even after I take the break, and when I come back, it's much easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging and supportive replies!
Welcome DWTBE! Others have suggested in other threads here on DW that it can help to develop the weaker side by doing other daily chores/activities with the non-dominant hand/foot. Like brushing teeth, shaving, carrying, etc. Make it a conscious effort to include your (presumably) left side in all activities previously excluded only for the right. As you progress in 'separation', you will achieve various moments of triumph, followed by subsequent intervals of new challenges - all of which may be overcome with enough desire and practice. Rock on.

But HOW do I separate the hands and the feet?!?
I started playing drums when I was 21. It took about three months before I could play a basic box beat with ride, kick and snare. Some people can do it the first time they're shown.

I gotta say, though, after learning to play the kit, learning to drive a vehicle with a standard transmission was a piece of cake.

Here's an exercise. Rub your belly and pat your head at the same time. Now do while walking (or stepping), and set up a rhythm. If you can do that, you can play a drum kit. If you can do that while counting out loud, "1, 2, 3, 4", you've got it made.

There is no cure for this addiction but what better to be addicted to-I’d go with it. The only downside is if you don’t wear hearing protection like I never did doing anything loud. I had super hearing at one time-hear a gnat fart but now I can’t hear a tornado. Have fun -protect hearing.
Unfortunately they didn't have IEM's back in the day. My musician parents (78-80 years old), have hearing issues; my dad (guitar and bass) has serious tinnitus and my stepdad (drummer) is nearly deaf. I agree with @GetAgrippa, protect your ears.

I use the following method. It's ALL in the brain.
:love:
You are wiring/forging brand new electrical pathways/circuits in your brain when you do this, so allow the process to unfold organically.
:) It takes time so don't rush it
Another thing that helps me...Working on something for like 10 laser focused minutes, not getting it, then taking a 20 minute break and trying again. My brain continues working out the problem even after I take the break, and when I come back, it's much easier.
The brain is an amazing thing and can, along with those limbs, conquer any task you set before it with enough tenacity and diligence

:love:

:) It takes time so don't rush it

The brain is an amazing thing and can, along with those limbs, conquer any task you set before it with enough tenacity and diligence
Agreed. Amazing tool that I'm trying to gain some control over.

I find that it's really quite imperative to word requests using positive (desired outcome) language, not "don't let this happen" language.

Words have real power

Agreed. Amazing tool that I'm trying to gain some control over.

I find that it's really quite imperative to word requests using positive (desired outcome) language, not "don't let this happen" language.

Words have real power
Excellent observations @larryace. The power of a positive attitude beats the *eck out of negative reinforcement any day. I have never asked myself "what's the worst thing that could happen during this gig?", instead focusing on 100% total preparation of the material so that my confidence does not allow for any doubt. Perhaps I was often over confident, but confidence is what drives a band (as long as the drummer doesn't rush!).

Now that I'm not gigging professionally my 'day job' is in commercial real estate which does not allow for passivity or negativity, but only positivity and confidence (even in the face of losing a deal). Those are key elements for any successful musician or performer, so knowing the music 'by heart' is essential to my personal confidence whilst playing. I'm still game for sitting in with an unfamiliar band if they are all competent players...and IF I know the material.

Back