Easy survey on Drum brands

Would : Gretsch, Tama, Premier of course if they’re still in business.
Wouldn’t : Mapex, Yamaha, Sonor
still i don’t see the point of this survey ?

yep...I am a stats nerd for sure. part of my OCD thing...
So we are at 5 pages do you have any broad generalization of note? Inquiring minds want to know. Cough it up man-we want a powerpoint presentation-with graphs. LOL

Yes: Tama, DW, Pearl

No: Any boutique brand, DDrum, PDP

Just in addition; I have 2 Mapex kits that i love, but their brand has gotten gimmicky over as past few years. I can't take Mars line and Armory line seriously. The Saturn is fine but the Black Panther line has failed to make a dent as far as top tier kits go. The Orion series was discontinued and never really replaced. I think their marketing needs to change and I'm not sure I'd buy them again.

So we are at 5 pages do you have any broad generalization of note? Inquiring minds want to know. Cough it up man-we want a powerpoint presentation-with graphs. LOL

as of superman's post above.....
biggest trends:

Sonor, Tama and Gretsch are huge leaders

DW, Ddrum and Mapex are not desirable, with Ddrum getting NO positive votes and Mapex only getting 2

the "mass market" brands:

Yamaha had more likes than hate
Pearl has less likes than hate

British Drum Co. has the most likes of the boutique companies

will post a link to a spreadsheet in Google Sheets later on tonight (after my next round of lessons is over)

Gosh I've played Pearl for decades-why all the hate. It's those damn tom arms isn't it? Big waste of resources and looks like a gun, but they sure are steady. Just took Pearl forever to figure how to suspend toms on those suckers. The Pearl ISS mounts were a disaster, then the Optimounts (I just can't help but get visions of Steve Martin in the Jerk). The mounts they have on my Pearl Decade are actually an improvement-sort of a hybrid optimounts. I was always surprised the Reference with optimal mixing of birch, maple, African mahogany and changes in wall thickness-did they change bearing edges too? Anyways had about every bell and whistle you can think of. And everyone hates it-ain't that a hell of a note. IF they had just added Bubinga-then they'd get the love-heck they even added a layer of gum in a new line-but no one must like the flavor. Is it that fake cherry or licorice.

Gosh I've played Pearl for decades-why all the hate. It's those damn tom arms isn't it? Big waste of resources and looks like a gun, but they sure are steady. Just took Pearl forever to figure how to suspend toms on those suckers. The Pearl ISS mounts were a disaster, then the Optimounts (I just can't help but get visions of Steve Martin in the Jerk). The mounts they have on my Pearl Decade are actually an improvement-sort of a hybrid optimounts. I was always surprised the Reference with optimal mixing of birch, maple, African mahogany and changes in wall thickness-did they change bearing edges too? Anyways had about every bell and whistle you can think of. And everyone hates it-ain't that a hell of a note. IF they had just added Bubinga-then they'd get the love-heck they even added a layer of gum in a new line-but no one must like the flavor. Is it that fake cherry or licorice.

most of the complaints about Pearl have been the hardware....

most of the complaints about Pearl have been the hardware....

Now that's preposterous! I know the tom mounts are commonly despised, but I don't use them. (My only "rack tom" is in a snare stand.) As for stands, pedals, and thrones, Pearl's excellence is tough to match. Their gear is supernaturally resilient. Nothing I've owned has ever malfunctioned. Pearl hardware could support Mount Rushmore.

Pearl must the diamond in the rough. That might give one a complex. Hardware I knew it! Those ISS mounts were like a huge negative 50 points so like a Scarlet letter. I think it's oystersaritisphobia-fear of Pearls. So like a pathological condition-actually I think Tesla had it? Anyways obviously the disease is pretty common among drummers-I find solace "those in know" know so all well all good. Isn't there some saying casting Pearls before swine ROFL. I got your back covered CM and Mr Polack. Pearl haters are delusional!

A few random thoughts . . .

DW acquired the Slingerland brand recently, and Gretsch earlier. Will their lines maintain separate identities?

I don't think DS (from Italy) has been mentioned. They make gorgeous drums. Will they find their way into the US market?

It seems like A LOT of the national touring drummers I see in the US use either Yamaha or DW kits. I've wondered why that seems to be the case.

Now that's preposterous! I know the tom mounts are commonly despised, but I don't use them. (My only "rack tom" is in a snare stand.) As for stands, pedals, and thrones, Pearl's excellence is tough to match. Their gear is supernaturally resilient. Nothing I've owned has ever malfunctioned. Pearl hardware could support Mount Rushmore.
Pearl must the diamond in the rough. That might give one a complex. Hardware I knew it! Those ISS mounts were like a huge negative 50 points so like a Scarlet letter. I think it's oystersaritisphobia-fear of Pearls. So like a pathological condition-actually I think Tesla had it? Anyways obviously the disease is pretty common among drummers-I find solace "those in know" know so all well all good. Isn't there some saying casting Pearls before swine ROFL. I got your back covered CM and Mr Polack. Pearl haters are delusional!

I have never had a problem with Pearl hardware. I have the ISS mounts on my drums, and I think they are WAY better (looking and sounding) than those RIMS mounts from back in the day...I guess hardware never figured in to the equation when I was shopping for drums

The only drums I would consider buying at this point would be a copper, brass or aluminum set.

Echo, Q, Oriollo perhaps. Something like that.

What a great bass and tom sound metal offers

I just put a link to the spreadsheet with the count of this informal poll so far in my first post on page 1!!!!

I have never had a problem with Pearl hardware. I have the ISS mounts on my drums, and I think they are WAY better (looking and sounding) than those RIMS mounts from back in the day...I guess hardware never figured in to the equation when I was shopping for drums
My son-in-law has my old Pearl Vision kit-it has ISS mounts. I gave it to him when I got my Pearl Decade. Every time I visit him and play it I'm thinking dang this kit sounds fantastic. Maybe I should have kept it. LOL

Would: Pearl, DW, Dixon.

Would not: none here.

At any given moment, any kit from just about any brand is in contention. I think all the manufacturers are making quality stuff, and I'd be evaluating the particular kit, not the brand.

Having said that, I would add that the support I have received from Pearl over the years has been stellar.

My son-in-law has my old Pearl Vision kit-it has ISS mounts. I gave it to him when I got my Pearl Decade. Every time I visit him and play it I'm thinking dang this kit sounds fantastic. Maybe I should have kept it. LOL

Many years ago when I was taking a break from drumming and selling my equipment ...

I hadn't played the kit in a while. I put it up for sale, and someone was on the way over. I played the kit and thought - what am I doing, this kit sounds great, and I'm basically giving it away. :) Significant mistake. [I have made many.]

Would : Gretsch, Tama, Premier of course if they’re still in business.
Wouldn’t : Mapex, Yamaha, Sonor
still i don’t see the point of this survey ?
I don't see the point of putting a company that's not in business in either of your answers so I guess we're even?

Back