Drums on soft carpet.

Ozerrobzz

Hi people just poking around for some advise rather than going down the trial and error route, but I have an electronic kit and since I've moved it to a different room with thicker softer carpets I've noticed that I'm getting more movement on my double bass pedals which is affecting my playing, what can I do to prevent this? Was thinking of getting a sheet of ply/mdf underneath and either putting some really thin carpet on top of the sheet wood or a drum mat, would this be the ideal solution?
Thanks.

Place a brick or something heavy in front of your pedals to stop things from creeping forward and moving around. This will probably increase impact vibration, so put some rubber in between everything to minimize it.

It's worth a try. Is there another room that you can move to?
No unfortunately not, the room it was in has now been turned into a nursery and there's no where else for it to go lol
Place a brick or something heavy in front of your pedals to stop things from creeping forward and moving around. This will probably increase impact vibration, so put some rubber in between everything to minimize it.
I've got the bass pad's up againt the wall, it's movement from side to side which is the problem

When you say "soft" do you mean that the carpet is really plush and deep? If so, I can see where your pedals won't feel quite as fixed or planted as they would be on thinnner carpet, even if the bass drum isn't creeping. I just think that the best material for drums is a carpet with a low "pile" or even just a rubber matt. I'm guessing you aren't liking that when you press down on the pedals there is extraneous movement and therefore it negatively impacts your action and the accuracy of your playing. Find a better surface to put your drums is my suggestion.

I have my kit on carpet too, and it's a problem for the bass drum pedal. The heel is pushed up by the carpet, and playing the bass drum makes the whole thing rock and move around. I solved it by cutting a piece of 1/8" hardboard and placing it under the pedal. It keeps the pedal flat on top of the carpet.

I've used one of the clear office mats that going under your desk chair, and worked "somewhat" ok. There are different types though, and you would want the kind that are stiff. Some are more flexible and soft so those wouldn't work well. I think a 1/2" sheet of plywood or something like that would be best if you are particular about the feel.

Back