Chicago Drum Co

basset52

I play classic rock and blues and considering buying a vintage wooden snare that will give me that look and feel. I have a couple of metal snares. I know, to an extent that any good snare can probably get to that sound. I ran across this company on a search. Their products seem to hit the mark for me and I won't have any issues with "vintage" issues so to speak. I live in Australia and so if I went with one of their products it would be sight unseen. What are peoples experience with the Chicago Drum Co products and service? I have been in contact with them and they do ship international. Any comments appreciated.

I can vouch for both their workmanship and customer service. I ordered a custom 5.5 x 14” maple/poplar snare from them in 2018. I dealt with the company owner, Jim Moritz, directly, and he was very helpful and easy to work with. Their turnaround time was impressive, as well.

The drum is the same configuration as one that they had on display at NAMN in Nashville in 2018. After playing it at the show, I was sold.

I play mostly classic rock and pop, along with some studio work, but this snare will do anything that I’d want out of a wooden drum. You can tune it up very high for a clear, singing jazz sound, or tune it down a bit for a meatier rock tone. Between this and my Ludwig Supraphonic, I’ve got almost every base covered for most gigs.

I would love to find an excuse to get a whole set from them, but can’t justify it right now.

I play classic rock and blues and considering buying a vintage wooden snare that will give me that look and feel. I have a couple of metal snares. I know, to an extent that any good snare can probably get to that sound. I ran across this company on a search. Their products seem to hit the mark for me and I won't have any issues with "vintage" issues so to speak. I live in Australia and so if I went with one of their products it would be sight unseen. What are peoples experience with the Chicago Drum Co products and service? I have been in contact with them and they do ship international. Any comments appreciated.
I found that Sakae Trilogy snares are exactly the sound you're after. They are on eBay and Reverb you can find them even though Sakae is not making drums anymore. New so there are no hardware or snare throw issues. I'm with you on that, too: don't want an old Ludwig throw to fail at a gig.

I can vouch for both their workmanship and customer service. I ordered a custom 5.5 x 14” maple/poplar snare from them in 2018. I dealt with the company owner, Jim Moritz, directly, and he was very helpful and easy to work with. Their turnaround time was impressive, as well.

The drum is the same configuration as one that they had on display at NAMN in Nashville in 2018. After playing it at the show, I was sold.

I play mostly classic rock and pop, along with some studio work, but this snare will do anything that I’d want out of a wooden drum. You can tune it up very high for a clear, singing jazz sound, or tune it down a bit for a meatier rock tone. Between this and my Ludwig Supraphonic, I’ve got almost every base covered for most gigs.

I would love to find an excuse to get a whole set from them, but can’t justify it right now.

Attachments

• 20A0A625-DEB8-4271-94D4-95ED494421DD.jpeg
    20A0A625-DEB8-4271-94D4-95ED494421DD.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 7
I found that Sakae Trilogy snares are exactly the sound you're after. They are on eBay and Reverb you can find them even though Sakae is not making drums anymore. New so there are no hardware or snare throw issues. I'm with you on that, too: don't want an old Ludwig throw to fail at a gig.
Thanks - I've checked them out. They do sound exactly what I'm after. They get good reviews everywhere. Now to find one!

Thanks - I've checked them out. They do sound exactly what I'm after. They get good reviews everywhere. Now to find o
I found one - bloke here in Australia has a few MIJ left at good prices . Thanks.

Back