Alan Dawson plays Take 5

Is that a concert tom Fibes kit? This is fabulous, I approve too....of the playing, not Brubecks pants, I just want to be clear about that.

Looks like concert toms. What a sound. Those early jazz recordings with just a couple of mics just work. I had pants like that in the seventies.

Looks like concert toms. What a sound. Those early jazz recordings with just a couple of mics just work. I had pants like that in the seventies.
Is that a concert tom Fibes kit? This is fabulous, I approve too....of the playing, not Brubecks pants, I just want to be clear about that.
That´s hardy an EARLY Jazz recording, haha!

This version came out on record inmediately after it happened live WORLDWIDE, and was one of the first ones I had WHEN I STARTED DRUMMING. I was familiar with the original Morello version, but what Dawson played was a complete other dimension, specially LISTENING TO IT (there was no way to see those things in the 70´s unless you were there, live at the concert, and also you have to think that drumming was completly different back them).

Special notice, that here is not so evident but it is on the record, deserves his the use of hi-hat. Of course at the 70´s you already had some great "hi-hat artists", like Tony, Jack, Joe Chambers, Roy Haynes, Elvin, etc. but his style was quite other...

Dawson was a Fibes endorser, those are regular two head drums, only the tom-tom does not have the the resonant skin on.

Last edited:
I think I borrowed an album of this same concert back in the 70s. The solo sounded very familiar. Gerry Mulligan sat in as guest.

Thats so cool Alex, I want a copy now too. I sorta only know Dawson as an educator, haven't heard much of his playing besides a few clips here and there. Any other Dawson recommendations?

Very interesting tidbit pointing out the hi hat work. Its great to put things in a timeline to know ur history and the development of our craft. Great post Alex

Back