A possibly flaming thread

Kinda strange comments in this thread about who hears the sound of the drums. The most important guy who hears the sound in me!!! I want then to sound how I want them to sound. When they sound killer to me most others like em too. If I have to sometimes spend a little money to get that sound I do. It is my money.

Nothing elicits responses like a thread pointing to DW...lol.

play what inspires you. If it’s a 1997 DW set w Keller shells, then rock on. I’ll argue that a player sounds his/her best when playing an instrument they love.

Hi, I would like your opinion on this possibly related issue.

If much of high end drum kit benefits are lost in the live mix, how would you estimate the loss of benefits of high end cymbals?

In other words, in the live mix after processing, do the values of high end cymbals significantly reduce as in the case of drums?

Thanks
So in my opinion, cymbals and drums are two different animals. Each cymbal even from the same line is unique, and even after it's run through processing the sounds of a cymbal will alter the overall band sound a lot more drastically. I think it's because of the sonic space they take in the band mix tending towards being more "separate" from the other instruments while the deeper and more short tom sounds kinda blend more with the band's tones. Some cymbals are described as being more "cutting" and what that refers to is their ability to be heard through the wall of band sound.

To that end I find that the "darker" more subdued cymbals do seem to lose more when a band gets going, but even so the choices of cymbals tends to affect the music a lot more than the tubs themselves which are a lot more one-dimensional.

Bo, you bring up this same topic at least 3/4 times a year, why?
Always the same argument/rant/post - everything is good, nothing matters, we all play Mustang Sally, who cares ?

I care. Lots of us care. This is the section of the website ( Drum Gear/Drums) where we discuss DRUM GEAR.
What we like, don't like, details, tips, tricks, history, vibe, brands, construction, shell types, hoops, heads, etc etc....all the finer points of the gear. There are plenty of other sections to discuss all other things as they relate to drums. Why piss on the parade? And about DW drums, which you just happen to currently own....really?

Bo, you bring up this same topic at least 3/4 times a year, why?
Always the same argument/rant/post - everything is good, nothing matters, we all play Mustang Sally, who cares ?

I care. Lots of us care. This is the section of the website ( Drum Gear/Drums) where we discuss DRUM GEAR.
What we like, don't like, details, tips, tricks, history, vibe, brands, construction, shell types, hoops, heads, etc etc....all the finer points of the gear. There are plenty of other sections to discuss all other things as they relate to drums. Why piss on the parade? And about DW drums, which you just happen to currently own....really?
Who’s this?

Back