A&F drums

Sometimes a boutique brand gains a great foothold in market, first one I remember was Orange County drums, I remember thinking they were way over priced for what they were and was surprised that the younger demographic they appealed to could afford them,but they had a good 10-12 year run.They had excellent marketing utilizing the internet and their endorser roster.I think A+F has done something similar,it will be I interesting to see if they can sustain it.
They had travis barker which certainly helped haha.

I love the look of A&F, and I would enjoy playing their low toms and kicks. Probably their cast snares too if the quality were good enough.

Antique effect drums for an 80s synth band? 🤔

Had three snares. Aluminum, Brass and Steel, very capable drums but had issues with durability, sent it back to A&F for repair free but once or twice a year is a PITA so I ended up selling it.

Nine more pages.

It actually makes sense if you listen to the sounds used in those days and what A&F drums sound like.

You need a lot less processing.

Brody is a perfect example of that.

The problem with this line of thinking, though, is that the gear is going to go through processing no matter what if it's run through a PA or a recording device. I can get that particular "modern" sound a la A&F very easily using my Yamahas, but I can also get a million other sounds out of my Yamahas that one couldn't get out of A&Fs. Having an A&F kit like that Tears for Fears guy is like having an amp with just a volume knob. The amp may do that one thing really well, but that's the only thing it does.

The problem with this line of thinking, though, is that the gear is going to go through processing no matter what if it's run through a PA or a recording device. I can get that particular "modern" sound a la A&F very easily using my Yamahas, but I can also get a million other sounds out of my Yamahas that one couldn't get out of A&Fs. Having an A&F kit like that Tears for Fears guy is like having an amp with just a volume knob. The amp may do that one thing really well, but that's the only thing it does.
If your yamaha is made of a metal shell.

Probably.

If not, it wont.

Especially under mics.

Just as you can’t get the fundamentals of a metal shell out of a wood shell either.

Otherwise we would still beat a wooden log 😬

It works for him, and after he played a maple collectors kit for a long time this must be the/the band/the engineer is/are is after for this tour.

I wont ever own one. Their build quality is very fragile and poor, I've looked at them very closely and was disappointed but, maybe that's what they were going for? Hard to say really. Some of them did sound good but, WAY over priced for what your getting. Maybe they just have high overhead ? I've had a few clients that bought them and they all regretted spending the money. I definatley wont be adding one to my snare locker anytime soon.
Well said.
I know 2 players that just bought the snare and the honeymoon period was quickly over. They didn't like the hoop hooks and felt the shell was WAY too fragile for regular bar bashing.
Me thinks it'll be regulated to a studio queen kit and not leave the building like Elvis. :LOL:

If your yamaha is made of a metal shell.

Probably.

If not, it wont.

Especially under mics.

Just as you can’t get the fundamentals of a metal shell out of a wood shell either.

Otherwise we would still beat a wooden log 😬

It works for him, and after he played a maple collectors kit for a long time this must be the/the band/the engineer is/are is after for this tour.

I think you're missing my main point, which is that the A&F kit is not particularly versatile. It does one thing. I may not get EXACTLY the sound of that kit, but I'd be willing to bet that I could get reasonably close even in my little home studio.

I wont ever own one. Their build quality is very fragile and poor, I've looked at them very closely and was disappointed but, maybe that's what they were going for? Hard to say really. Some of them did sound good but, WAY over priced for what your getting. Maybe they just have high overhead ? I've had a few clients that bought them and they all regretted spending the money. I definatley wont be adding one to my snare locker anytime soon.
And its personal but i dont like their looks either

Sometimes a boutique brand gains a great foothold in market, first one I remember was Orange County drums, I remember thinking they were way over priced for what they were and was surprised that the younger demographic they appealed to could afford them,but they had a good 10-12 year run.They had excellent marketing utilizing the internet and their endorser roster.I think A+F has done something similar,it will be I interesting to see if they can sustain it.
While I agree, I honestly can’t name more than two artists who play their stuff. Dan Mayo and the dude who plays for Tears for Fears. I feel like OCDP had artists from the biggest bands playing their stuff. Haha.

I mean, I hope they can sustain it, but yeah, it’s almost too niche in my opinion as someone who doesn’t make drums and has only ever bought 1 new drum kit or snare (and lots of used stuff). Lol.

-Jono

If I'm gonna play old-looking drums, I think I'll just play old drums. Older kits can sound incredible.

Here's the Drummer's Review video @mikyok mentioned...

I've had the chance to play two different A&F snares, and a Maple Club kit. Nolly's observations of this snare's build quality, and tuning range, apply to those drums as well.

Wow, the tuning for this drum seems really limited. The low tuning sounded really bad. I don't know if it is the reviewers' tuning skills or the drum, but I'm not impressed. The high tuning wasn't much better. The medium tuning sounded useable, but this drum is an ugly one trick pony in my opinion.

A&F drums are for cork-sniffers and collectors.

Back