Incoming Ludwig Classic-need help with bass head selection

First of all, great kit! It's beautiful!

When you mention the pedal bounce feeling different, I'm guessing your last bass drum had a port hole. Drums with a solid front head are going to have more rebound than a drum with a ported reso.
The 20” was not ported and had a super kick ll for the batter. So I think it’s a combination of a thinner skin on the bigger 24” which seems to give it a more trampoline effect.
With that said, I got a couple hours in with Speed King that arrived yesterday. Just a turn and a half back on the springs and it’s pretty good. My foot will acclimate.

IMG_4055.jpeg

You’re all hooked up now, eh? Nice!
I am man. Thank you! Totally loving it too. I’ve re-tuned the Tom’s several times and have them at a medium setting about a minor 6th apart but sound really good together in all fill and rhythm formats/genres. Finally got the Speed King spring set to where it works for me, doubles are comfy, power when needed, and everything else falls into place pretty good. Just a little more time until my foot fully acclimates. And the Supraphonic is just amazing not to mention the thump of the 24” bass too. Happy happy!

A PS3 Felt Tone or PS3 with a felt strip could be a good middle ground. Bonzo used an Ambassador with a felt strip IIRC

congrats!! :D

i would go with an aquarian superkick 2 or 3 over a white ported regulator, open that beauty up! :D
A PS3 Felt Tone or PS3 with a felt strip could be a good middle ground. Bonzo used an Ambassador with a felt strip IIRC
I’m not opposed to porting the reso. Just for micing. It did come with a ring too so that’d be a quick fix.
As it is, to my surprise, I’m totally happy with the boom to punch ratio.

So guy brings home a New mercedes. 1st thing he does. Takes off the tires and replaces them with what was on his old car. Then paints it another color blue why? his last car was blue. then tears out the interior puts in beige seats why? thats what he used to..
Why get a new set if you're just going to 'go back' to what you were 'used to' is my thought. The idea of a new set is advancing to somewhere you mightn't (new word) been used to would have to be my look/approach to new.

So many guys rip off the heads on their new (good hi end) sets just to revert; I don't (I do but..) get that,
Play them how they sent you. May elevate you to a new place

So guy brings home a New mercedes. 1st thing he does. Takes off the tires and replaces them with what was on his old car. Then paints it another color blue why? his last car was blue. then tears out the interior puts in beige seats why? thats what he used to..
Why get a new set if you're just going to 'go back' to what you were 'used to' is my thought. The idea of a new set is advancing to somewhere you mightn't (new word) been used to would have to be my look/approach to new.

So many guys rip off the heads on their new (good hi end) sets just to revert; I don't (I do but..) get that,
Play them how they sent you. May elevate you to a new place
What if the heads suck?

What if the heads suck?
then you bought a lower end drum set OR the company doesn't care what it puts on it's hi end sets and I doubt that this here is the case

"Give the past a slip"

Last edited:
Stik2it: just in case you haven't seen this: https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/blog/vintage-pink-oyster

"....A COVETED RETRO FINISH RETURNS!....

Arguably one of the rarest Ludwig finishes makes a triumphant return! Originally cataloged for one year in 1960 as"Oyster Pink Pearl," this wrap came into production in 1958 and until 1963, with an estimate of only 100 kits ever made....."

You've got a very beautiful setup. (y)

First of all, great kit! It's beautiful!

When you mention the pedal bounce feeling different, I'm guessing your last bass drum had a port hole. Drums with a solid front head are going to have more rebound than a drum with a ported reso.
You know what you were right. I did a search and someone reported the same problem so they ported it and fixed the bounce issues.
So I ported mine, readjusted the kick pedal and full control has returned. I do remember I had just a little control issue with the 20” too. But a smaller bass drum was not as drastic as the 24”. IMG_4106.jpeg

Back