TINA TURNER: R.I.P - my story....

Larger than life singer. One of the best, for sure. RIP.

My Tina Turner Story:

A Big Swiss Insurance Company (where I worked then) made a big party with clients and staff in Küsnacht and hired a Hit-Cover Band for this evening. They were asked to prepare or playing some Tina Turner songs, because the CEO likes her very much. They didn't do that or forgot, because they had no female singer.

Anyway, in the middle of the evening, the real Tina Turner appeared and entered the stage to sing some songs. The band was not able - even the simplest Blues. So after 5 minutes she had seen enough and left - it was unbelievable frustrating - what a chance and what a shame for the band! They could have put on their flyer "Tina Turner Backing Band". Tina Turner was there, because she lived in Küsnacht and had just a very good mood.

And this: at the end of the evening the bandleader said, that he doesn't want people - eventually drunk - come on stage and sing and didn't believe it was really Tina - but it was Tina Turner of course in person!!!!

Bernhard

Last edited:
My Tina Turner Story:

A Big Swiss Insurance Company (where I worked then) made a big party with clients and staff in Küsnacht and hired a Hit-Cover Band for this evening. They were asked to prepare or playing some Tina Turner songs, because the CEO likes her very much. They didn't do that or forgot.

Anyway, in the middle of the evening, the real Tina Turner appeared and entered the stage to sing some songs. The band was not able - even the simplest Blues. So after 5 minutes she had seen enough and left - it was unbelievable frustrating - what a chance and what a shame for the band! They could have put on their flyer "Tina Turner Backing Band". Tina Turner was there, because she lived in Küsnacht and had just a very good mood.

Bernhard
Absolute muppets!! 😩

My condolences to her friends and family. I saw her in 1973 at Valdosta State College. The city really went all out and made it a Nutbush City limit extravaganza as well as all over the campus. It was my first year of college and I was living in Possum Hollow apartments with a couple of other delinquents. Streaking was popular the same year I recollect. Tina was quite the entertainer and hugely popular.

My Tina Turner Story:

A Big Swiss Insurance Company (where I worked then) made a big party with clients and staff in Küsnacht and hired a Hit-Cover Band for this evening. They were asked to prepare or playing some Tina Turner songs, because the CEO likes her very much. They didn't do that or forgot, because they had no female singer.

And this: at the end of the evening the bandleader said, that he doesn't want people - eventually drunk - come on stage and sing and didn't believe it was really Tina - but it was Tina Turner of course in person!!!!

Bernhard

I'd sell all my gear, buy a fishing rod and head to the lake for the rest of my days.

My Tina Turner Story:

Bernhard

how come you didn't offer to step in and at least try to save the drum parts?

and yes...what a sad, legendary loss! I hope she passed peacefully. I grew up playing along to many of her songs as she was one of my dad's favorite.

I remember her as always being popular from the time I became aware of her and how she was spoken of/treated with reverence for talents and for domestic strife endurance abilities. In the early 70s she was presented that way from the females in my life.

The BBC spot I saw yesterday was falsely stating that she wasn't popular in the US, but was in Britain. They featured a song out of chronology, it seemed to insinuate that it wasn't popular in the States which made me ponder that the reporter hadn't lived in the US to hear the radio saturation of the song.
I clearly remember the media blitz and how successful she was in the moment. The BBC failed at their attempt, at least with me.

I remember her as always being popular from the time I became aware of her and how she was spoken of/treated with reverence for talents and for domestic strife endurance abilities. In the early 70s she was presented that way from the females in my life.

The BBC spot I saw yesterday was falsely stating that she wasn't popular in the US, but was in Britain. They featured a song out of chronology, it seemed to insinuate that it wasn't popular in the States which made me ponder that the reporter hadn't lived in the US to hear the radio saturation of the song.
I clearly remember the media blitz and how successful she was in the moment. The BBC failed at their attempt, at least with me.
Working at a US pop radio station at the time that her Private Dancer album was released, I find this to be...confusing? ;)

She was played in hot rotation all over the country, 4 songs deep. MTV had her on ALL the time. The singles from the subsequent albums also got heavy play, if not as much as the Private Dancer tracks. What's Love Got To Do With It was in good standing among the "song of the year" candidates, in a VERY big pop music year.

BBC is usually looked to, from "over here", as a good alternative resource to the reporting we get stateside. That is disappointing.

Working at a US pop radio station at the time that her Private Dancer album was released, I find this to be...confusing? ;)

She was played in hot rotation all over the country, 4 songs deep. MTV had her on ALL the time. The singles from the subsequent albums also got heavy play, if not as much as the Private Dancer tracks. What's Love Got To Do With It was in good standing among the "song of the year" candidates, in a VERY big pop music year.

BBC is usually looked to, from "over here", as a good alternative resource to the reporting we get stateside. That is disappointing.

Especially at that time she was among the biggest of the bigs and Private Dancer was the video displayed as the reporter insinuated that it was flat to like warm in the US.
Her/their Proud Mary (recorded in the early portion of her career) was a staple in the US and in contrast to CCR's version was what you spun up if you wanted fire in your day. I dont suppose it's ever been out of favor with female performers.

Especially at that time she was among the biggest of the bigs and Private Dancer was the video displayed as the reporter insinuated that it was flat to like warm in the US.
Her/their Proud Mary (recorded in the early portion of her career) was a staple in the US and in contrast to CCR's version was what you spun up if you wanted fire in your day. I dont suppose it's ever been out of favor with female performers.
When we play Proud Mary, we do it mostly like the CCR version.... but before we go into the last chorus, we do 4 bars of the Tina "do do doo do"s on the way out, everybody sings along

I just watched a video interview of Tina explaining that she was much more popular in Europe than in the US. Not that she wasn't popular in the US, but that she was far more popular in Europe, which is why she decided to move there some time ago. I wonder if the BBC somehow mucked that up saying that she wasn't popular in the US.

My Tina Turner Story:

Bernhard
Unbelievable. Makes me wonder if the band hired was even vetted for the event. Not that they know she was going to be there, but any band worth their meddle to be hired for an event like that needs to have adaptability skills.
Even the heaviest metal guitar shredder can remove the distortion off their guitar & play clean blues.

Wow.

An experience none of them will ever forget or be forgotten of.

I just watched a video interview of Tina explaining that she was much more popular in Europe than in the US. Not that she wasn't popular in the US, but that she was far more popular in Europe, which is why she decided to move there some time ago. I wonder if the BBC somehow mucked that up saying that she wasn't popular in the US.

I can obviously believe that. In my little corner of the States she was always popular though.

Tina Turner was electric, and embodied the kind of energy any front-person performer should show onstage.
She had all the mojo and pipes too. Class act.

Back