First time using Remo Black Dots. Love them!

10ml, 1 ply, 5ml Control Sound (or Dot).

I haven't used in forever. I might go back to these. The dot is a target with added durability with the 2 ply. Noice.

I like to try a single ply head but also get nervous about durability. This could work for me actually. 🤔

I'm usually an Evans guy, but went with these because they don't have an equivalent. The fat sound I get with these is like no other.
I'm a whatever sounds good guy.
Lately I have been skewing towards Remo heads as they have just that little bit extra "life" in their sound that Evans lacks.
I'm a huge fan of Evans EQ3 batter on the bass drum however, the Powerstroke 4 is enticing me..

Another view of the kit. Still can't believe I paid under a grand (US) for the shell pack, brand-new. I added the snare and 14" FT later.

They sound just as good as my Renowns, honestly. Say what you will about DW, they know how to make maple drums.

View attachment 131859
What a killer Design kit; love it!

I’m very happy with my current head choices on my Design kit. Haven’t used black dots in decades, but you’re tempting me!

Another view of the kit. Still can't believe I paid under a grand (US) for the shell pack, brand-new. I added the snare and 14" FT later.

They sound just as good as my Renowns, honestly. Say what you will about DW, they know how to make maple drums.

View attachment 131859

Oh yeah, i spot a Novo China there ;)
I have the 20" (too). Great china!
Back to topic: i had a clear CS on my snare for a while and i concur that it sound fatter than a regular Amabassador.

Oh yeah, i spot a Novo China there ;)
I have the 20" (too). Great china!
Back to topic: i had a clear CS on my snare for a while and i concur that it sound fatter than a regular Amabassador.
Good eye! I love the Novo China. I like effects cymbals in general.

• Like!!
Reactions: iCe
They really just set off the vibe of your drums man.

I just love the look of the clear black dot heads.

Total eye candy.

The black dot heads make any drum kit so playable and hitable.

I rediscovered these a few years ago when putting together a kit for a Stones tribute. Stop sign Gretsch with Black Dots top and bottom? Yup, there's that sound! I won't put anything else on it now.

I even put a Black Dot back on a bass drum of mine for a while. It's not just an aesthetic thing(as you know).

Dan

I'd never tried the Black dots either but I did I guess a year or so ago. Sadly shortly after putting them on my Pearl Decade 10/13/16/24 kit I had to store them because of a complaining neighbor (bought an ekit). I made a video/audio with old Zoom of my kit with the Black dots noodling around kit.

Attachments

• blackdot2.mp3
    1.9 MB
Last edited:
What a killer Design kit; love it!

I’m very happy with my current head choices on my Design kit. Haven’t used black dots in decades, but you’re tempting me!
Thanks! Credit goes to Bo Eder for alerting us (me) to the deal on the piano black Designs. My dealer had a set in stock and ready to go.

Out of curiosity, what heads are you using? I have tried and loved clear Pinstripes and coated Ambassadors. Curious to learn what others are using.

Thanks! Credit goes to Bo Eder for alerting us (me) to the deal on the piano black Designs. My dealer had a set in stock and ready to go.

Out of curiosity, what heads are you using? I have tried and loved clear Pinstripes and coated Ambassadors. Curious to learn what others are using.
I have the 13-16-22 Design kit that was discontinued a while back.
I have coated emperors over clear ambassadors on the toms. Bass drum is a clear Powerstroke 3 with stock reso and a travel pillow I got from Walmart for $3. The drums sound fantastic; I absolutely love this kit.

• Like!!
Reactions: I-P
There's just something especially cool about CS black dots on black drums. Great looking kit!

The first thing I did when the covid shutdown happened was change heads on my '78 black cortex Ludwig kit to black dots (resos too). I hadn't used them since the 80s, so they took some getting used to, but they looked great.

18in6plyFT_3_sm.jpg

There's just something especially cool about CS black dots on black drums. Great looking kit!

The first thing I did when the covid shutdown happened was change heads on my '78 black cortex Ludwig kit to black dots (resos too). I hadn't used them since the 80s, so they took some getting used to, but they looked great.

View attachment 131911
Thanks, Amy! Black dots look awesome on your Ludwig kit. There's just something so right about black drums and those heads!

Back