Is Premier back?

Dude, the new Premier are massed produced mass marketed products owned by a conglomerate with no ties to anything that has any relationship to the Premier of old other than the name.

They "look" the same build as as they were? Dude, they're using shell molds in Asia and labor in Asia and parts from Asia - ain't nothing about them that is like vintage Premier builds.

I own several made in Asia kits. I like them. A lot. But I'm not about to say my Gretsch Cat kit has any similarity to a Gretsch kit from the 60's other than the name. And I looked at one of the new Premier kits and was close to buying it because it had a 20x8 kick (bass for you jazz cats lol) with kick mounted rack tom, but rack was only an 10" and I want a 12" rack. So I'm not saying this to denigrate the marque, only pointing out that Premier of new doesn't have any relationship to original Premier UK.

Come on, JDA.
Interesting to see how it upsets you.

The gretsch comparison is idiotic btw, just like calling him dude a few times to support your point and try to make it a fact.

Its an opinion and thats ok, but repeating it over and ovr doesn;t make it a fact.

The full Maple with painted badge, yes.

BB/WB models with thick badge I would call them upper mid level.
I beg your pardon, but that's utter nonsense. Other than the Maple shells being a tad thinner and having fully lacquered wood hoops, there is NO difference in craftsmanship at all. I do own SC B/B, SC Maple and Star Bubinga drums, so I do know about their quality and the differences.

I'm no Premier expert, but weren't the 90's Genistas birch?
Yes and still
There's two Genista's now
the classic (birch) and maple
click on learn more for spec

The maple Genistas sound great (I know for a fact) but I'd just put tube lugs on them and call them Signias if I were in charge of the company. I totally understand that it's a bit "fake" to see the Genista name on maple drums however good they sound. I'd make it crystal clear that it's a reissue made in an OEM factory, too, so as not to depreciate the value of vintage Signias from their loving owners.
To me, the Catalinas are not as much "fake" Gretsches as delibrately designed low-end Gretsches that do the job without the bells and whistles. What's a "fake" big name? Ludwig Evolutions.

The full Maple with painted badge, yes.

BB/WB models with thick badge I would call them upper mid level.
I’d sorta agree. I own the BB . Fantastic sound and superb build . On second thought , instead of saying upper mid level , I’d class them as bottom top level 😉.

As far as old premier compared to newer ? I haven’t a comparative clue . But I will say ….
My old made in England marcher is built like a freakin tank . Weighs as much as one too 😂. But I love it 🙌🏼

IMG_9686.jpeg

Last edited:
The maple Genistas sound great (I know for a fact) but I'd just put tube lugs on them and call them Signias if I were in charge of the company. I totally understand that it's a bit "fake" to see the Genista name on maple drums however good they sound. I'd make it crystal clear that it's a reissue made in an OEM factory, too, so as not to depreciate the value of vintage Signias from their loving owners.
signia have Rings. Genista Maple don't

Elite - the old Premier Series
has the Rings

but they did have "Signia Marquis" for a while without rings.
that's the series I couldn't think of; I remember the Ads.. and what were the Gen-X

and what were the Gen-X
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Remember that drop cover ad
(2006)
that was easy

pretty popular

Last edited:
the gretsch comparison didn't belong; if Gretsch "had" died and came back very similar; it would have.

Calm down boys. The Premiers, if they are well made and sound good, will have a place in the heart of someone for sure. Nostalgia rules. Where they are made, is secondary. It is the craftsmanship and sound that counts. And if the Premiers are midline drumsets at an absurd price, they won't survive. It's that simple. If they have a fair pricepoint, then they will probably stay. And we all know, that a well made midline-Drumset, even an affordable lower level drumset like the Yamaha Stage Custom is more than capable of performing adequately in almost every situation. Comparing the new Premiers to anything is ... well... rather pointless. They are good drums - or they are not. I am pretty sure, that they are quite good.

what were the Gen-X
IMG_0161.jpeg
My Prem Gen X was built to my own specs (24, 12, 13, 16, maple/birch hybrid, and bespoke white lacquer finish)...they were built by Kath Burrows and Erica Smailes at the legendary Blaby Road factory in Wigston UK c.2004…they’re lovely to play and look at; what more could I want*? :unsure: :)(y)

Last edited:
My 1980’s Premier APK 1006 COS snare that I picked up for fun a couple of years ago! I gave it to a friend’s son who was just starting out…here it is restored…best chrome in the world mate (my mum worked at the plating factory in Wigston during the 80’s). :) (y)
View attachment 140516
Gorgeous! I can see your emotional attachment to Premier, and rightfully so! I wish I had the coin in the 90's to buy a set of them, but life happens. The US distributor, at the time, was not too far away from me in New Jersey.

Last edited:
Back