Is Cakewalk confusing or am I a moron?

If your computer "sees" the hardware via USB, then take a look at Cakewalk's preferences and how it interfaces with the computer/USB/audio interface. If you have four channels, you might need to add channels to the project you're working on.

For midi I'm just running via USB, for any actual audio I'm using a basic small powered mixer via USB. I did the same (less midi of course, previously ran the ekit through 'live' signal outs) into audacity and was able to quickly dial in a rather impressive sound so I think I'll be able to take it a bit further with cakewalk. I'm familiar with all of the basic principles of what I'm trying to do, I just need to learn cakewalk and learn how to improve my processes and projects with a program that has more features. Computer wise it's a ten year old HP laptop running windows 7 (lol).
For midi I'm just running via USB, for any actual audio I'm using a basic small powered mixer via USB. I did the same (less midi of course, previously ran the ekit through 'live' signal outs) into audacity and was able to quickly dial in a rather impressive sound so I think I'll be able to take it a bit further with cakewalk. I'm familiar with all of the basic principles of what I'm trying to do, I just need to learn cakewalk and learn how to improve my processes and projects with a program that has more features. Computer wise it's a ten year old HP laptop running windows 7 (lol).
An old laptop can get new life pretty easy by just upgrading the drive to an SSD

first buy the SSD:

and a cloner box :
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exte...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Then remove the old drive,
Place the old drive in slot 1 in the cloner box, the new drive in slot 2 and clone.
Then install the new drive in your laptop and enjoy the performance improvement.

The only thing you have to ensure is that the new drive is at least the same size as the old one if not bigger ie: 500Mb to 1tb or from 1tb to 1tb or from 1Tb to 2 Tb.
Tutorials on how to do this are of course in Youtube. It is a pretty easy pretty straightforward process.
I upgraded my wife's old laptop. It took me 2 min to open it, 2 min to remove the hard drive and take out of the enclosure, about 20-25 min to complete the cloning process, and another 5 min to reassemble and test.
My wife used to hate that laptop now she loves it.

One more thing, the reason for the need for a cloner is that you need to copy the entire drive (which is not done correctly if you were to connect the new drive via USB and try to copy all the folders as there are a lot of hidden folders that also need to be copied hence the word cloning vs copying).
The advantage of having that cloner box is that you can still use your old drive, just put it in a slot in the box and plug the box via USB, your computer will recognize it.

I've had very good luck with Reaper. I've used it for years, but I've never done full-band projects with it. It's been great for acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments though.

I've had very good luck with Reaper. I've used it for years, but I've never done full-band projects with it. It's been great for acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments though.
I have also used Reaper for years, I like how simple the workflow is, but how you can also do a lot of things that are more advanced (for example changing your guitar signal chain automatically according to the song parts as if you had a pedalboard). This is done by selecting your desired vst, then selecting the song part where that will be used and muting it after it is no longer needed, a new track needs to be added for each of the extra effects such as lead or rhythm and so on. for a good tutorial on how to do that look in YouTube in Killerbuckeye's channel.
I just downloaded Cakewalk because it was free, and it seem to offer some decent vst's with it. and sometimes is good to have an alternative.

Back