I broke my first pair of sticks!

StefaniB

I've been using these VF sticks exclusively since I picked up my starter snare drum I think at the end of September/early October 2020. I was working on 'Voices Carry' by Til' Tuesday when this happened. I don't know if I should be proud or sad.

sticks2.jpg

I've been using these VF sticks exclusively since I picked up my starter snare drum I think at the end of September/early October 2020. I was working on 'Voices Carry' by Til' Tuesday when this happened. I don't know if I should be proud or sad.

View attachment 104832

Let me formally invite you to the club!

View attachment 104832
That's from drumset playing, right? The shank on the hihat? Because if that is from just playing on that starter snare drum you mentioned, that's the weirdest wear I've ever seen on sticks

View attachment 104832
Well played!! I cried when I broke my first stick 😂 ...it’s lovely to see that you’re putting the work in and smashing it! @StefaniB !(y):D

Congrats! And the stick wear does look unusual. As Sebenza asked, is that from your hi-hat play?

That's from drumset playing, right? The shank on the hihat? Because if that is from just playing on that starter snare drum you mentioned, that's the weirdest wear I've ever seen on sticks
Sorry! I didn't provide enough context in my original post. I purchased a drum kit in January and was practicing on it last night.

As a do-it-yourselfer kind of student.. I would like to ask the collective mind, in your opinion, what would cause a pair of sticks to wear like those exactly?

Just in case you haven't done so already, angle the bottom hi hat cymbal a bit with the screw below its plate and loosen the top felt a little bit. That way you'll get more sound out of the hi hat without hitting as hard. That should reduce stick wear a little bit and usually sounds better.

And maybe put the stick shoulder a little more on top of the cymbals rather than into the side edge. As GruntersDad said, lowering the hats can help with this too. I suppose some hat are more destructive--ones with a little "flair" along their edge, like Sound Edges.

Congratulations, you did it!

If I were to diagnose, I'd say that wear pattern is mostly from the hi hat.

Unless you bashride the ride a lot. If you're playing Till Tuesday...I'm guessing it's from the hi hat.

Check and make sure you aren't holding your sticks too tight. Your fingers are the shock absorbers. If the stick is mashed up against the palm, like holding a hammer, then the fingers can't absorb the shock. That will cause problems down the road. Look into this sooner rather than later. Hey I could be totally wrong, but it won't hurt to analyze your grip to be on the safe side since you're fairly new at this. Learning a bad technique could be worse than not playing at all. Shock absorption using the fingers..that's the goal. Don't let the shock transmit into your wrists and forearms through the palms. Use the fingers like springs to absorb the shocks.

I can't believe that stick didn't break earlier, judging from the surviving stick.

As a PSA, VF uses a 6% moisture content for their sticks. As per the furniture manufacturing industry.

Vater uses an 11% moisture content for their sticks, as per the striking tool industry. Which makes more sense, considering that we definitely do strike things with them.

The result is that Vater sticks last twice as long as VF. All while maintaining the same balance feel as VF, important.

Former VF user here.

Last edited:
Back