Which headphones do you use to practice?

Atl MM

I wanted to know if you had any recommendations for practice headphones. I like to play/practice listening to songs with either earbuds or over the ear style. The earbuds are not loud enough and the over the ear headphones keep me from hearing the drums. Do they make headphones specifically for drummers to resolve this? Thank you!

I use Sony earbuds and they are plenty loud. I have to turn the volume down a bit to get a nice balance between the drums and music.

Hi Atl MM. Take a look at Vic Firth's Isolation Stereo Headphones. I have had mine for about ten years now and still sound as good as the first day I received them.

Hi Atl MM. Take a look at Vic Firth's Isolation Stereo Headphones. I have had mine for about ten years now and still sound as good as the first day I received them.

+1 on the Vic Virth's. There may be better sound quality-wise, but I find these are an economical compromise between protection and sound quality.

Here is the "trick" to using full-cup isolation headphones like the VFs-

You need to pull the cup\s slightly off your ear to balance the kit and the music content (or click). I find that I can get a great mix this way that is more satisfying than earbuds or even IEM (in ear monitors).

They will also clean up the overall tone of your kit and cymbals a little bit-like getting free compression.

I second this.....I don't play to a click or anything...but I play to CDs....just plug these into the cd player and away you go.....they're a little pricey but well worth it.....plus they can be used in the studio when recording.

I just got a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3. I wanted wireless headphones and with the noise-canceling on you can still hear the drums and the music. If I'm practicing without music I just put them on and don't even turn them on and it still muffles enough to protect my ears but I can still hear the drums fine. They are expensive though!

On the phone side I've used a pair of Ultrasone Pro 550s for the last 5 years. They don't isolate as much as typical drummer phones, but they work in my room. Basically, inexpensive studio phones with some extra bass.

I still recommend mics and a mixer/interface if you can. I just mic the BD + OHs for practice. Solves all balance issues and gets you used to recording situations.

Last edited:
I don't play very loud music, so I just use some old Sennheiser headphones. I've had Beyerdynamic isolation headphones before but they took away too much of the drum sound and I often ended up playing way too loud and with bad tone. Unless you play really loud music, I think that headphones that don't cover your whole ear or regular loud speakers are the best choice. That way you'll practice with the same volume that you'll use when playing with other people.

I use an inexpensive Sony model that is more for protection, with good enough sound, and 28 Db of dampening. At one time I was using Apple phone ear buds, cheap ones, and my shooting ears for protection.

same here. One of the top 3 "best investments" I have made for my drumming. I now don't have to blast the music as loud as possible, to then play the drums as loud as possible.

I use basic earbuds with industrial defenders, the kind you'd find at firing ranges, placed over them. This arrangement provides maximum hearing protection.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for playing along to music. Nice amount of noise isolation. Closed phones.

Sennheiser HD600 for critical listening or sheer musical enjoyment. Open phones.

Some Bose wired buds. We have Apple Air Pods but the Bose sound quality and ability to seal in my ears keeps them as my No. 1 option.

Pete

Back