Practicing s-l-o-w-w-w

TheDrumster

I really want to nail the timing on my beats and develop razor sharp control with my limbs. Does it make sense to practice my beats to a very slow BPM? Most of the grooves I play are between 80 - 150 BMP. Is it worth the time to practice those beats at, say, 30 BPM (and every 10 BPM increment above - including actual tempos and above), or will that be an inefficient use of my time?

Any other advice to help me achieve my goal?

Thanks!!

I really want to nail the timing on my beats and develop razor sharp control with my limbs. Does it make sense to practice my beats to a very slow BPM? Most of the grooves I play are between 80 - 150 BMP. Is it worth the time to practice those beats at, say, 30 BPM (and every 10 BPM increment above - including actual tempos and above), or will that be an inefficient use of my time?

Any other advice to help me achieve my goal?

Thanks!!

Slowing down grooves can be really helpful. The slowest I usually hit is 1/4=40 - I got this tempo from the book, The Essence of Jazz Drumming.

Playing slowly is great for control, will help you with time, feel, balance, technique, dynamics... You'll will notice things in your grooves that were getting glossed over at the original tempo.

Practicing slow is very beneficial.

Uncle Larry started a thread on here about practicing ridiculously slow and it detailed a lot of the benefits and his philosophy behind it. Sorry I don't have time to dig up the thread link.

Search larryace threads and you'll find it. I try to do the Larry slow practice method once a week and it has helped me a lot for all the reasons Cornelius just mentioned.

Kudos to Larry for bringing up such a topic. But what really blows my mind is how we all know "you can't run before you walk" in all things. Playing sports? Dancing? Learning a foreign language? Doing math problems? Everything we've ever done in life has started at a crawl.

Then we get drums and for some reason the "walk before you run rule" is ignored and thrown out the window. How does this happen?

Kudos to Larry for bringing up such a topic. But what really blows my mind is how we all know "you can't run before you walk" in all things. Playing sports? Dancing? Learning a foreign language? Doing math problems? Everything we've ever done in life has started at a crawl.

Then we get drums and for some reason the "walk before you run rule" is ignored and thrown out the window. How does this happen?

I think quite many of us try to run first when attempting sports, dancing, languages, and math ;). Honestly though, I think it's due to commitment. If from day one we would spend hours just doing a single stroke roll at 40 bpm, or a similar exercise, we would spend weeks, or even months, without ever touching the kit. I think none of us could bare that, we just wanted to drum. Also, it's not like we can't run. We just have a weird limp that is more obvious when we " run slowly ". In other words, we have a skill that is not perfect, works quite well, and which is not a problem, untill we start playing with musiscians of a higher skill level. Then we get comments on our timing. Or when we record ourselves, and hear that somethings not quite right with our groove. It's only then that we start working on our limp.

I think quite many of us try to run first when attempting sports, dancing, languages, and math ;). Honestly though, I think it's due to commitment. If from day one we would spend hours just doing a single stroke roll at 40 bpm, or a similar exercise, we would spend weeks, or even months, without ever touching the kit. I think none of us could bare that, we just wanted to drum. Also, it's not like we can't run. We just have a weird limp that is more obvious when we " run slowly ". In other words, we have a skill that is not perfect, works quite well, and which is not a problem, untill we start playing with musiscians of a higher skill level. Then we get comments on our timing. Or when we record ourselves, and hear that somethings not quite right with our groove. It's only then that we start working on our limp.

Ahh. True. So back to my question....is practicing extremely slow the faster way to lessen our limp? Or is there a better way?

I think if you haven't tried it yet, meaning practicing s--l--o--w-- then yea, IMO, it is the best way. It reveals things.

Ahh. True. So back to my question....is practicing extremely slow the faster way to lessen our limp? Or is there a better way?

Going slow, the only way to go ;).

So yes it is. By practicing at extremely slow tempos you train your time feel. You also slow movements down to a point that you can more clearly hear your mistakes. If you have a mirror, you see small mistakes in your movement. You drill yourself into being a rock, moving, yet un-moving from your groove.

My final tip is: Learn how to love to make something sound beautiful. Don't think about speed, don't think about where you want to go, just sit there and make that pattern, your exercise, or rudiment, sound great. Once it feels great, don't walk away. Stay there. Keep it going, beautiful, for as long as you can. Best way to improve. Did wonders for me, and made me like practicing a lot more than just trying to push my upper limits the whole time.

Almost everything I play is in that 80-150 bpm category as well. I used to always try to play fast, and I couldn't for the life of me. I was also into trying to get more limb control...and well I thought at first I was going slow...at like 100 bpms. Being told to practice slow my whole life, that seemed like a decent tempo to start at. Well I had been practicing this Rhand Lhand Rfoot Lfoot pattern, Cycling diddles through it and I couldn't for the life of me play it. So one evening I was sitting there baked outta my mind wondering why I had such a hard time with this stuff...I had recently become slightly fascinated in wing chun/tai chi and qigong martial arts...and using those principles where you want to stay very relaxed through all the motions and go slow, I decided to try to exaggerate my strokes and play at i think it was like 20 bpm...well after a few hours I was finally playing it up at like maybe 50 bpms, and I practiced that started at 20 bpm for a few night and i think eventually got up to 80 bpm or so before I lost interest( i have a tendency to lose interest in things quick).

Well ever since proving to myself that i could play these things I once thought impossible, I have always started at SLOW bpms whenever i think something is very difficult.

It gives you time to internalize it. I was always told if you can say it, you can play it. And from what I've found it's very very true. Eventually i got myself to start counting EVERYTHING in practice(this is after like 10 years of not counting). Mike Johnston made a video on something similar to this, I'll see if i can find it.

He was saying all these students were coming to him and going "can you teach me to play faster?" and after awhile of not understanding why nobody was progressing he asked some of his students to play as fast as they can with 1 hand. He noticed most of them were just as fast, and some even faster...and then when he asked them to play a paradiddle as fast as they could, they were at half speed at least. He realized they did not have the paradiddle truly internalized.

The other thing, is playing really slowly, and repetitively, really helps me to memorize it. I'd always had a harder time memorizing drum parts. I could memorize a 10 minute long song on guitar, but you asked me to play something like that if it had more than maybe 5 or 6 parts in it and i'd mix them up and down and backwards and be totally lost.

from what i've read Alan Dawson would have his students play rudiments from VERY slow, to as fast as they could, and back down again, gradually. The idea was so that you could get used to playing the rudiment at any given tempo within your speed. Try it and tap your foot to it. Though I find my feet can't keep up with my hands a lot of times.

I think after awhile as you progress you become more capable of starting at higher tempos. Playing slow is good but I think starting very slow (where it is almost hard to keep the timing) and gradually increasing the speed until it is hard to keep the time and holding it there for a few bars and then slowly lowering it back down again,has helped my hands more than anything...

One day I'll get around to using my feet hopefully...So much to practice, so little time :(

My final tip is: Learn how to love to make something sound beautiful. Don't think about speed, don't think about where you want to go, just sit there and make that pattern, your exercise, or rudiment, sound great. Once it feels great, don't walk away. Stay there. Keep it going, beautiful, for as long as you can. Best way to improve. Did wonders for me, and made me like practicing a lot more than just trying to push my upper limits the whole time.

It's nice to see this in print. Excellent point. Make it feel great. Words to make music by.

Going slow, the only way to go ;).

So yes it is. By practicing at extremely slow tempos you train your time feel. You also slow movements down to a point that you can more clearly hear your mistakes. If you have a mirror, you see small mistakes in your movement. You drill yourself into being a rock, moving, yet un-moving from your groove.

Well said, you must be the Dutch version of Larry ;-)

It's nice to see this in print. Excellent point. Make it feel great. Words to make music by.

Wish I could claim that idea though. I stole it off Tommy Igoe.

Well said, you must be the Dutch version of Larry ;-)

Wish I was as good a drummer as him! But thanks for the compliment :).

Because drums are just so damn fun to sit down and shred all over! At least, that's how I felt when I finally bought my first set. I wasn't concerned with anything else, yet.

Practicing slow was some of the best advice I got from lessons. I do my entire rudiments routine and warmup using the click, usually set somewhere between 50-80bpm, keeping a Samba pattern going w/ my feet. About a year ago, I set my metro to only play the "1", forcing me to keep time more accurately between the spaces, rather than relying on the machine. It's worked wonders, especially at super-slow tempos!

It also doesn't help that I can go to YouTube at any time and see a kid who is 1/3 my age playing faster than I can even think.

A drum teacher of mine told me, "Practicing slow is like putting a magnifying glass on your playing. It shows you all the things you are doing wrong at the faster tempos, but may not notice as much because of the narrower space between the notes".

This has definitely held true for me and playing slow will take your playing to a new level, if you can become relaxed and comfortable. If you're struggling, you need to keep going. It's hard work so be prepared for disappointment and frustration!

The flipside is that you need to practice fast too, if you want to play faster tempos. But you'll find once you're comfortable slow, the speed almost comes all at once. Once I figure something out slow that has been plaguing me, I find I can almost instantly bring it up to full speed. Your body just suddenly "gets it". Just make sure you stick it out long enough at the slow tempo that you're sure your body has the movement down pat. Then I suggest increasing in increments of 5 or 10 to bring it up.

This is an exercise that helped me on so many levels to conceptualize time and I have my students do this as well.

Start at that 80bpm. Start with Quarter notes (1) Then to eighth-notes (2), Eighth-note triplets (3), Sixteenths (4) Quintuplets (5), Sixteenth-triplets (6), Sextuplets (7), Thirty-Second notes (8), Nonuplets (9's), etc...

This essentially gives you a theoretically unlimited mastery of the space between the quarter note. Sure, Frank Zappa is dead, so you are unlikely to need to play 13's, but the ability to do so creates a concept of time that can make time your servant rather than your master.

:)

Practice time slowly is practicing time more quickly.

A quarter note at 40 BPM is an 8th at 80 and a 16th at 160, etc.

Slow practice allows you to work the physical kinks out. You can work on synchronous movements between limbs, stick height and path, reducing tension and more.

Slow practice allows you to work the mental/emotional kinks out. It's nigh-on impossible to play steady time at 40 BPM while distracted, mind racing and anxious. You have to collect yourself and stay on task.

Physical tension and emotional tension are connected and - at least in my experience - are the barriers to fluidity of expression at standard performance tempos. Slow practice is the best place to start attacking these obstacles head on.

Once I figure something out slow that has been plaguing me, I find I can almost instantly bring it up to full speed. Your body just suddenly "gets it". Just make sure you stick it out long enough at the slow tempo that you're sure your body has the movement down pat. Then I suggest increasing in increments of 5 or 10 to bring it up.

Myelin wrapping, baby.

Back