You know you're a drummer when...

Sitting on the paper-covered table in that little room in the doctor's office, you set up a complex pattern with your heels against the side of the table, one hand slapping the paper covering, and the other hand beating the vinyl upholstery ... then get irritated when the doctor walks into the room during your solo.

I'm annoyed when my windshield wipers are out of time with the music that's playing on the radio... Which is always.

...you take a solo and everyone abandons you.

...your choice in housing is dependent on whether or not you can practice there.

...when the click sound of the turn signal become the click for your random drumming on the dashboard of your car.

I had a Mazda 323, that was great for playing the drums when the turn signal was clicking. It had a great hollow sound over the steering wheel column that sounded like a drum. I miss that car and the drum solos I did at the stop lights.

Of course I always got strange looks from people who never associated with drummers.

You drive geezer station wagons (or hatchbacks) to fit your gear into. The upright bassist can relate...

I had a few FUGLY station wagons in my day....

You're pretty excited about going on holiday until you realise there will be no drums there...
And after about 36 hours you start experiencing drumming withdrawal symptoms...
Like missing your drums and and an urge to tap on anything...

...when the click sound of the turn signal become the click for your random drumming on the dashboard of your car.

tumblr_n4lscg84M41rhavdko1_400.gif

funny stuff.

Hearing the beat of well anything!

Thanks for the comment about vacation. I am going in 5 weeks and now feel meloncholy about it!

You know you are a drummer when you are explaining to your non musician partner how the drum and base are working together on a particular song.

Your parents constantly tell you to stop tapping/beatling on EVERYTHING!

When you stop and watch any drummer, anywhere, playing anything!

when you are in three bands and still have to come to a drum forum to talk music with people that understand your POV.

When a sign of wear on your instrument gives you a sense of accomplishment like the stick patterns on drum heads do for me.

You're pretty excited about going on holiday until you realise there will be no drums there...
And after about 36 hours you start experiencing drumming withdrawal symptoms...
Like missing your drums and and an urge to tap on anything...

Awww chicken! This is why God created the practice pad. Which is no substitute for the real thing, but is better than nothing for a week or two when you're desperate.

... You repeatedly get told by strangers on the train to stop tapping hands and feet...

... Your parter finds increasingly creative ways if being out of the house when you have to practice...

... Your non-drummer parter can hold a conversation about cymbal making...

:)

I was trying to communicate with my special lady friend that Ringo's bell sound, during Hey Jude, on his ride sounded strained and thin. Then I grabbed a 24" Zildjian Medium Ride to show her what I meant. To which she just said it sounded fine...

Who else hears that, right?

I think the next time someone tells me to stop tapping MY hands and feet, I will politely smile, say, why don't you start tapping yours?

You get a call to sub from people you don't know very well. That always makes me smile.

You subdivide your walking pace into odd odd note groupings and polyrhythms (played against the hand tapping on the thigh).

Back