Wondering what everyone has to say about trying to make a living drumming?

What do you think makes a mid level band? Between what and what per gig?

Well, I guess it's subjective. I was a bit surprised that the writer thinks $600 is mid-level, when that's the kind of money (and more) that my local, non-touring bands make. Yet I wouldn't consider them mid-level.

One band playing 1200 seat theaters may be at their peak, and another playing 5,000 seaters may lament that their career is on the skids. Indeed, a small theater is mid-level for one band, while a shed is mid-level for another.

When I think mid-level, I think of theaters and large clubs, like 600-1500 capacity. Moneywise, it's hard to say what that means, especially to one or two supporting bands.

I suppose I should reserve my incredulity for bands that think $600 is the big time!

Bermuda

couldn't be more wrong

ever heard of the Funk Brothers?........Booker T & the MGs?.....Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew?

they are only on pretty much every record you ever heard from that era and all read and were trained musicians

Yep, and even the ones that started out without formal music educations learned as the years went on. The ones that sustained careers in music learned theory and composition and even if they couldn't sight read at Wrecking Crew levels, most of them learned to read and write music. Yeah, there were some drugged out cavemen jamming in the studio until they came up with something, but most folks knew much more than they let on. It just wasn't "counter-culture" enough to admit to having learned music.

couldn't be more wrong

ever heard of the Funk Brothers?........Booker T & the MGs?.....Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew?

they are only on pretty much every record you ever heard from that era and all read and were trained musicians

In a way he is correct though. This is why the Funk Brothers, BT&MGs and the WC were on everything. I'm not saying all groups from the time were incapable of recording, but there is a reason these guys and gals were the first calls. There are many more musicians now who have been trained, through school programs and the like, than there were at that time.

it is much easier to bob and weave your way into making a living as a single entity and not as a band

I learned that the hard way

there is much more work for an available drummer than an available band

Hey Gvdrummasum. Exactly what do you mean by this? I guess on craigslist your ad wouldn't say "Drummer looking for band" but what's an example of what it would say?

I'm gonna guess that, in the 60's, even in the studio, most rock musicians didn't read music....especially drummers. I've read stories that even bass players just showed up and played "something".

Today, new bands are actually paying to play.

couldn't be more wrong

Which technically goes to New Tricks point, not takes away from it.

Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, etc, were on everything because drummers in so many bands were untrained.

Prime example is the Beach Boys. Dennis Wilson was not a trained drummer. Dennis was on the album covers, promo shots, and live gigs, but it Hal was in the studio.
Same thing with Paul Revere & the Raiders, and other bands Hal played in the studio for; he was replacing the untrained guy.

But of course, you knew that.

The problem with making money in from drumming (or in music in general) is supply and demand.

There are far more musicians who wish to make a living from music than there are gigs.

Some can carve out a living by a mix of teaching, being a drummer for hire for both live and studio work.

Some have other sources of support, i.e. a day job, a side business, rich family, or wife that has a good career.

As far "how does that guy have the money he has" keep in mind, much of it is image. You'd be surprised the number of music stars who have a nice car, have a nice wardrobe, but live in a dingy apartment with roommates, or still live at home, or have some sort of day job or side business that supports them in-between paying situations.

My wife as stories of her younger days of going to see the band at the club (and not a local band, but a band with a record deal, and a following) and then going to the mall the next day where said band members all had retail jobs they worked at when not on tour.

Hey Gvdrummasum. Exactly what do you mean by this? I guess on craigslist your ad wouldn't say "Drummer looking for band" but what's an example of what it would say?

I would never put an ad on craigslist

what I meant in that post was....it is easier to weave your way as a single drummer....a hired gun with a good reputation who plays many styles than a band of guys who offer one brand of sound

sort of like trying to fit 5 guys through a single door way.....or just one guy comfortably

I am finding it much easier since becoming a freelance musician independent contractor than when I was in a band with a label and management and other band members all involved in my lifes decisions ....I started to outgrow the "all for one" attitude in my early 30s

my yearly gross income has also just about quadrupled as well since going out on my own

I charge a fee that is based on the material, distance traveled, time, and my desire to be involved ....and it's usually on my terms unless there are auditions involved....

plus working with different people all the time is amazing..

I meet so many great players on record dates and get more jobs networking through them

sure I stick with certain acts because guys that I have known for years are involved ...but I make no long term commitments

I spent too much of my life tied into musical situations ....touring ....coming home broke ...sleeping in the RV night after night ....playing the same tunes night after night

I needed a change and I got it

couldn't be more happy

I have some pretty big things coming up in the new year that I am very excited about and hopefully as soon as contracts are signed I can tell you guys the details

but even in that case .....no long term commitments involved

and I am free to roam as I please

Which technically goes to New Tricks point, not takes away from it.

Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, etc, were on everything because drummers in so many bands were untrained.

Prime example is the Beach Boys. Dennis Wilson was not a trained drummer. Dennis was on the album covers, promo shots, and live gigs, but it Hal was in the studio.
Same thing with Paul Revere & the Raiders, and other bands Hal played in the studio for; he was replacing the untrained guy.

But of course, you knew that.

good points

I was thinking of what he said in a different way

I agree with you, Bermuda. $600 seems awfully low for what I would suspect a mid-level band to bring down a night. My band does much better than that, and that's not counting merch sales. I wouldn't consider us mid-level, but much lower.

That was interesting what the O Sleeper guy wrote, but I think they pay too much for shirts, shouldn't pay any kind of "merch tax" to the clubs [we never do], probably shouldn't be including their merch income in as "guarantie" money, but should instead keep it separate, so that the tour isn't relying on it so heavily. They're making $300 a night, paying 4 people who don't play, and I believe their costs outweigh their asking price. And band manager taking 15% net profit of merch? Sounds like someone let themselves be stepped on a bit.

Their cost for shirts is high, because they're getting small quantities. But overall, it does seem like they got in over their heads moneywise.

Al's very first tour was pretty spartan 30 years ago, we weren't technically the headliner, there was no merch to boost income, and we were playing clubs... and we did better than $600 back then selling $4-10 tickets, and without label support.

I know that things don't always improve over time, but that band was taking a real beating on their tour. I'm not surprised he's bitter, but I also don't think he speaks for all bands.

BTW, just curious what became of the band, as that story was written over 2 years ago. They're touring Australia by way of Hawaii and New Zealand starting in January! Granted, they're still playing clubs & pubs, but the money has obviously improved if at least the five of them can travel halfway across the globe and back. I conservatively estimate the flights alone at $3000 a head, not counting any flying within Australia (although they should be able to drive everywhere, and they're not playing Perth.)

I'd hope the guy would post an update that they're obviously doing better now. They certainly can't do what they're doing grossing $600/show!

Bermuda

Last edited:
Back