whats your fav drum head

whats your fav drum head manufacturer and what do they do better than the rest.

• remo

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • evans

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • aquarian

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • attack

• ludwig

• Total voters

Fluffster

oh i do love doing some good old polling. put what it is you like about them as well. i only know 4 makes so tell me if theres some ive missed ive no doubt there is.

Remo. Why? they aren't "Evans" 😁
"Evans" was a family that lived across the street or later on a Breakfast sausage
plus too smooth too white too perfect and don't get me started on glued foam ring weather stripping that belongs to seal around windows . Or something.
Now Remo? ...ah it just sounds like a drum.

I've used REMO, Evans and Aquarian over the years. But for most of my drum applications it will always be Aquarian. I still have some snare drums set up with REMO, but over the years I've distanced myself from Evans. I honestly no longer care for their sound. Aquarian has everything I want and need.

Reactions: I-P
I tend to go back and forth between Remo and Evans. Although I’m playing Evans currently on my Ludwig kit, my Rogers kit has Remos. Evans seems to have better quality control, but their lifespan is shorter than Remo (in terms of singing tones).

Remo for their liveliness and the way they keep on going. And at this point, my overall familiarity with the brand and their lines makes it an easy choice for me.

Most of my go-to heads are Aquarian. I like their tone, the coating lasts forever, and they have a wide variety of models, coatings, and ply-layups that no one else offers.

Some of my favorites are the various Modern Vintage models, but I just re-headed one of my kits with a mix of Classic Clear, Super 2, and Response 2, doing the graduated thickness thing and my toms sound incredible.

Their quality control also has been, in my experience, far beyond anyone else.

I do use some Remo heads also, specifically Fiberskyn (nothing quite like 'em) and I'm a recent convert to the Ambassador X reverse dot head for snares.

My favorite snare heads are Ludwig Weather Masters, for lively tone and easy tuning. When those got harder to find I went through a phase of Aquarians because their coating lasts forever. But I found they were giving me some grief on snare batter tuning specifically, and I went back to Ludwig. However I recently tried Attack, and they give me the tone and easy tuning of the Ludwig for half the price. I haven’t tried them on toms yet, and my Aquarian tom heads haven’t lost any tone, no need to change them; but when I do eventually, I will try Attacks there too. Probably the “Thinskin 2” model on batters. For bass I tried many and settled on an Aquarian batter and a Remo Fiberskyn reso, and I have no reason to change them, they’re perfect.

I can’t answer one because I think they all do different things great.

Aquarian has the best kick heads

Remo coated heads are my favorite. If I’m using a coated Tom head or snare it will be remo

Evans has the best Reso heads for Toms, the best clear heads and the best pre muffled Tom heads (EC2S)

Don’t care for attack tho

Depends on the drum . I have Evans coated G12 on my batters on toms on 2 sets. Remo clear Diplomats or Evans EC reso's on the bottom. Remo coated Ambassadors or Controlled sound on my snares.

hmmm this has been illuminating, i thought evans would be way up there. i just play evans at the moment

Last edited:
My favorite snare heads are Ludwig Weather Masters, for lively tone and easy tuning. When those got harder to find I went through a phase of Aquarians because their coating lasts forever. But I found they were giving me some grief on snare batter tuning specifically, and I went back to Ludwig. However I recently tried Attack, and they give me the tone and easy tuning of the Ludwig for half the price. I haven’t tried them on toms yet, and my Aquarian tom heads haven’t lost any tone, no need to change them; but when I do eventually, I will try Attacks there too. Probably the “Thinskin 2” model on batters. For bass I tried many and settled on an Aquarian batter and a Remo Fiberskyn reso, and I have no reason to change them, they’re perfect.
added an extra option just for you

Remo. Why? they aren't "Evans" 😁
"Evans" was a family that lived across the street or later on a Breakfast sausage
plus too smooth too white too perfect and don't get me started on glued foam ring weather stripping that belongs to seal around windows . Or something.
Now Remo? ...ah it just sounds like a drum.
ha its funny you should say that. evans does sound like a hardware store brand to me, probably with a logo with mountains and giant conifer treees beside it.

Been a big fan of Evans for many years, but I have been more towards Remo in the last couple of years. Emperor or Pinstripe on toms, CS Reverse Dot on snare, PS3 on the bassdrum. I'll gladly use Evans again, but I'm enjoying a Remo period for the moment. It's harder to get a hold of other head manufacturers here, but I guess I'm a bit vary of going with anything else than Evans or Remo...

i dont have much drum head experience anyway. ive used remo and evans. i'm gonna vote evans because ive got my toms to sound amazing with evans heads. something which eluded me before, but who knows probably if i tried again with any other make now i know more about tuning heads it would work spectacularly

Calfskin for me.
Haven’t bought a plastic head in years.
Last I bought was a Remo Skyntone, also plastic, but still better than the competition.

you get them calfskin off the internet?
No, off a calf. ;)
Just kiddin'
Since I’m located in Europe, the best source for me was/is Litik with their Easy Tuck hoops.
There’s a percussion workshop near my house who caries them.
The guy who runs it is great and gave me lots of tips on how to tuck the heads, but honestly with these easy tuck hoops it's about as difficult as changing a tire on your bike.

Back