Update on my Tama Starclassic kit

Try hanging your toms lower and to the left, use the bass drum mount, or hang a tom off a stand on either side of your bass drum. I used the offset toms with both racks low and to the left of my bass drum (same height as snare) and it worked awesome!

Nice! Is that a Tama bass drum mount on the bass drum? Maybe you should find a tom holder for it, see if you're a traditional tom mount kinda guy, eh? But yeah, get those toms positioned and it'll be stylin'!

Depending on the drum's tom mount bracket and the size and length of the tubes, one can also pull the top tube or two off of the tom stand and drop it into the bass drum.

Mounting those toms upside down on the L-arms is asking for trouble.They were not designed to be mounted that way..Even with memory locks,they can slip,and can be damaged or damage the bass drum.The arms are suppose to face up.This isn't something that's optional..Forget the putting mounted toms almost on the floor drum fashion nonsense.I would hate to see anything happen to those beautiful drums.

Steve B

Take this for what it's worth, or even if it's true or not (some more educated fold here would know, I'm looking your way KIS) I bought a kit from a custom maker, and we shot the shit a couple of times before our deal was finished. He told me that bubinga is a very porous wood, and that bubinga drums are 60% wood, and 40% plastic filler, which is one of the reasons that they are so heavy. Now I don't know if that's a difference between ply and stave, ply being so much thinner than stave, therefore needing to be filled, or what.
Sorry for the side discussion, but I've only just seen this. Whoever told you that bubinga is 40% plastic filler should be shot. Absolute BS of the highest order. Bubinga is heavy because it's dense - that simple. It's not overly porous either. Some manufacturers using plies or veneers do seal this wood's pores, but that's only because it's a/ very thin, or b/ poor quality wood. Good quality bubinga looks nothing like some of the processed crap you see around. Here's a natural bubinga heartwood/sap wood bookmatched stave shell snare. No filler! Argghhh, misinformation makes my blood boil!!!!!

Attachments

• Bubinga.jpg
    Bubinga.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 731
Back