Tightest Fitting Heads

If Evans = Fail and Remo = Pass, then is it the head or the drum?
When it comes to fit, I don't think you can say. There is such a variety of bearing edges, outer diameters, hoop shapes, etc that head manufactures have to make a product that fits most and allows for some variation.

When a head doesn't work with a given drum, I don't think it's a failure on either part. It's just a mismatch.

If Evans = Fail and Remo = Pass, then is it the head or the drum?
If you want to try and simplify it to this point, then sure...it's the drumhead. But what if the head works fine with plenty of other hoops? Then it's the hoop?

Realistically, the potential scenarios I described are what we're really seeing here. Ultimately, this may have absolutely nothing to do with quality control and everything to do with spec/tolerance incompatibility. The point I was making is that people tend to immediately gravitate towards "QC issue" or "bad batch" when that's not always the case.

If you want to try and simplify it to this point, then sure...it's the drumhead. But what if the head works fine with plenty of other hoops? Then it's the hoop?

Realistically, the potential scenarios I described are what we're really seeing here. Ultimately, this may have absolutely nothing to do with quality control and everything to do with spec/tolerance incompatibility. The point I was making is that people tend to immediately gravitate towards "QC issue" or "bad batch" when that's not always the case.

Nope not QC or defects. Tried several Evans and Aquarian heads on undersized Sonor shells. Very loose fits. Remo fit tightly. On the toms not a problem but on kick drum the hoops will not seat unless the head is a tighter fit. Like Stroman said it could be a variety of factors such that Remo fits the best.

I got some pinstripes delivered yesterday….they work and fit great. I like to fit the head inside the hoop before mounting to the drum….and all the remos fit squarely in the hoop. The Evans is noticeably larger and it never seats inside the hoop….it wobbles on the collar. Did not matter on remo head type….coated amb, clear amb, coated dip, silver dot, clear emp, and now pinstripes
53548810136_9627357dec_k.jpg

Remo Ludwig Silver Dots have crimped collars and fit much easier in my experience. No thick glue channel getting in the way. I like them on all my toms.

Back