Thinking of getting some Paiste 602s

This thread is a little more than two years old so those of you who had just picked up 602s hopefully have plenty of feedback. I am a recent Paiste convert from Zildjian and am looking at some 602s in my set up, specifically 15" hats and a 24" ride. My crashes are 2002 18" and a GB Multi 20". My band plays classic and folk rock and we don't play out very often and never where it would need to be "loud". What are your thoughts on the 602s? Also, it appears the 15" SE 602s are no longer in production. Any thoughts why they have gone the way of the dodo?

I have a set of 15" preserial 602 hi hats that I'm selling. PM me if you're interested. These would be perfect for what you're playing.

Last edited:
This thread is a little more than two years old so those of you who had just picked up 602s hopefully have plenty of feedback. I am a recent Paiste convert from Zildjian and am looking at some 602s in my set up, specifically 15" hats and a 24" ride. My crashes are 2002 18" and a GB Multi 20". My band plays classic and folk rock and we don't play out very often and never where it would need to be "loud". What are your thoughts on the 602s? Also, it appears the 15" SE 602s are no longer in production. Any thoughts why they have gone the way of the dodo?

I think the 15" SE's went the way of the dodo simply because Paiste didn't sell many because of the price. They are extremely expensive. Though there are plenty of drummers who would love to purchase them, most just can't afford it. But I may be wrong.

In my opinion, the 602s are the best sounding cymbals ever made, followed closely by the 2oo2's. But the 2oo2's should only be judged within the context of other instruments and in recordings. They may sound harsh from the throne to some ears.

I think the 15" SE's went the way of the dodo simply because Paiste didn't sell many because of the price. They are extremely expensive. Though there are plenty of drummers who would love to purchase them, most just can't afford it. But I may be wrong.

In my opinion, the 602s are the best sounding cymbals ever made, followed closely by the 2oo2's. But the 2oo2's should only be judged within the context of other instruments and in recordings. They may sound harsh from the throne to some ears.

Im pretty well set on 602s for hats. Looking at the 15" from Mendozart and also the 14" SE 602s.

As far as the ride goes, it's down to the 2002 Rev. Al and the 602 24" medium.

As far as the ride goes, it's down to the 2002 Rev. Al and the 602 24" medium.

Tough choice. Both beautiful sounding cymbals. Both very different sounding cymbals.

How does one possibly decide? Whichever one you choose leaves a hole. It'll leave you pining for the other.

You might just have to get both I'm afraid.

Add a 24" Giant Beat to the equation and you're well and truly screwed for choice.

Tough choice. Both beautiful sounding cymbals. Both very different sounding cymbals.

How does one possibly decide? Whichever one you choose leaves a hole. It'll leave you pining for the other.

You might just have to get both I'm afraid.

Add a 24" Giant Beat to the equation and you're well and truly screwed for choice.

I have been listening to youtube vids of each one. Just closing my eyes and listening. I came across a vid of the Rev. Al. Listened to it about three times in a row. It has "the" sound I'm looking for right now. I think that's the one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again , 602's are the Cheese.

I have owned 15" pre-serials, and 14" SE's, 16, 18, 20, 22 Thin Crashes, a 20" ride and 24" ride in the 602 Reissues.

They have a fantastic sound to them - great for recording and a fantastic balance between bright and warm. The crashes in particular are excellent - I couldn't find a 602 ride that I liked. Bought and sold both available sizes (20, 24), then priced up a 22" custom job from the factory ($$$$)

After a while, they all ended up sitting in bags, as I had too many cymbals and not enough arms. I've since sold the entire 602 collection, and moved on to other sounds that appeal to me more.

I will say that they are very versatile, though, and I could comfortably cover any mainstream type gig with these pies and never worry about the cymbals sounding right. They have been so heavily recorded over the years that they sound 'right' in just about any genre!

Peace.

Back