Things you hate to have happen while drumming

Playin outdoors somewhere extremely cold and not being able to move your hands and fingers as you normally do. It has happened to me and i warmed up like 30 min before the show.

The worst musical experience I've ever had was a 'live audition'; In other words it was an audition at a gig.

So; already I'm playing someone else's gear/set-up, which we all know is very uncomfortable and a lot of hard work.

It was a function band playing at a wedding, I'd been given the click tracks before hand, learnt them and was perfectly confident in my ability to pull it off.

As I'm on my way to the gig I get a call from the band leader "Oh, do you have headphones with you?"

No, I said, thinking I could have done with a little more notice.

"Not a problem" he said, so I forgot about it.

So I got to the venue and he hands me these in ears that absolutely would not fit, let alone stay in my ears.

So, I couldn't hear the click and the backing track was completely out of sync: a true train wreck.

I felt so useless as I know I would have played fine with my phones.

I know it's the whole 'bad workman blames tools' thing but...

I can't paint a picture without any F*cking paint...

If you see what I mean.

1. Dropping sticks. I have my stick bag tied to the lugs on my floor tom, so it's not as bad of a problem as it used to be.

2. Playing particularly fast rolls and hitting my face with the stick on the rebound. Hit myself in the eye once and it hurt like hell!

3. Sliding equipment - this happens a lot with my pedal-operated tambourine. Putting weights behind the pedal help though.

4. Having a fellow bandmate glare at you if you miss a cue while playing live. If there were ever a time for your stick to fly out of your hand (and hit said bandmate), that's the best time for it to happen!

Missing bits of the kit, broken snare head with no backup, falling cymbals, bleeding finger from trying to stop the falling cymbals and demands for an encore...all in a 40-minute set.

having to desperately go to the bathroom in the middle of the set....and i don't me to pee!!!

Things I hate to have happen when I am playing.

Dropping a stick isn't a big deal because I have a stick holder to my left, stick bag to my right.

Slamming my finger between a diecast hoop and the stick, that sucks.

Gashing my hand open on said hoop, or a cymbal.

Having my rack fall apart while playing, causing the drums to fall on to the kick... that sucks.

Having everyone in the room walk out when we start playing... yup... that sucks.

Having a fight brake out, causing me to leap from my drums and pin them up against the wall... that was funny... but still sucks.

Smashing my self in the face/nose with a stick... that sucks.

Forgeting how the song goes... mid song... that sucks.

Not being able to hear the guitars...that sucks.

Busting heads.. that sucks...

that's all I got right now.

Haha, I love it when 4 year old threads come back to life! :D

For me the worst is hands getting sweaty. That's horrible, you know that any moment soon your sticks are gonna fly, so you have two options:
1) keep playing normally and eventually you'll drop one, or
2) stiffen your grip making a fist, play like shit and get some nice blisters on your hands, (but no flying sticks).

That alone makes me want to take hand powder to the gigs.

Cheers.

Mainly just the usual, boring stick-dropping. Another small thing is failing at a cymbal choke.

When I was playing rock bass drum and hi hat creep used to bug me. Also, having the lights put too close to my back so I was being roasted. But the worst was weak or unbalanced foldback.

I hate it when I get busted while on break lol.

That and getting my van stolen while playing, yea I hate that too.

I'll take bass drum creep, dropped sticks and the like any day over that.

You drop a stick and when you reach over to pick it up, you knock over a cymbal severing the hand of the trumpet player next to you. Blood is going everywhere. I an attempt to control it you knock over your drum set, rendering the sax player in front of you unconscious. When the singer attempts to help, she trips over the microphone cord and knock over two other players and bends the trombone players' slide. I hate it when that happens.

Today a drumstick broke when I hit the 10" tom right in front of me, causing the top piece to fly right towards me and hit me right in the forehead... Can't really say I enjoyed it, it still hurts!

When your cymbal stand comes loose and flies around. Worst of all... It's your ride, your on the stage and playing a prog song...

And also really high thrones :/ and snare's breaking mid song live too... So you're tuning it as high as possible to get a tone!

Back