The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Buddy Rich one handed roll video

I'am looking for the video in which Buddy originately did this. Is it on Drummerworld ? If so where ?

Thanks

Buddy Rich concert clips previously unpublished

Hi everybody,

I'm a lifelong drummer, (since 1964) and was hugely influenced by Buddy Rich, as many of us were. I've also traded links with Bernhard since around 2000, and am a big DrummerWorld fan.

I've been compiling previously unpublished concert clips of Buddy and his bands, contributed by drummer friends and me, and am hosting them (free to download, of course) on my site at http://www.mikejamesjazz.com/br_clips.html (previously NextCraft™)

If you have unpublished audio clips, video clips, or photos that you would like to share with other drummers, please email me, and I will happily host them. This is a completely non-profit venture. I host the files for free, properly crediting the source they came from, and make no money of any kind from that. It's just sharing great music with others.

I encourage those of you who have these things "in your closet" to consider allowing the rest of us to hear and see them.

Enjoy!

Re: Buddy Rich concert clips previously unpublished

Great Site!

Thanks for this added collection of Buddy Rich Material. I know I speak for many people when I say that we can never get enough! I was wondering if there is any unpublished video clips of Buddy still out there and whether or not it could get on your site.

Yes Mike James - great

I know, I must also update your links....will do.....

Bernhard

My pleasure to share this with all of you. I just hate to think of how much great music there is like this of Buddy and other artists, that we will never hear.

On Cathy's BR site forum, ( http://www.buddyrich.com ) I've offered to host video too, if anyone contributes some that won't get me in legal trouble. Of course, that invitation goes for all viewers here, too. I have plenty of space for hosting, and I do web design, so I can post whatever comes in almost immediately. Regardless, thank you for visiting!

And Bernhard,
You have created the best drum-related site on the planet! Keep up the tremendous work, and I appreciate the link update when you have time. Drummerworld is first class.

Take care, everybody.

Re: Buddy Rich on Bonham

For me, Rich was the greatest drummer even, and bonzo too, i think if we could make a time machine and put them side by side in a drum battle, we have a very rare style drum battle, ver interesting and rare!!!!!

organochloride said:
For me, Rich was the greatest drummer even, and bonzo too, i think if we could make a time machine and put them side by side in a drum battle, we have a very rare style drum battle, ver interesting and rare!!!!!
I dont think so. Im pretty sure Buddy would just lay a smack down on old Bonzo.

dothecrunge said:
I highly doubt that Kathy Rich had backstage access, and I also highly doubt that Buddy Rich would've even wanted to go backstage to meet these "incompetant musicians" as he was probably mumbling to himself when he was at the show.

I think quite of other musicians thought Led Zepplin were incopetant. The name Led Zepplin even came from harsh comments, Kieth Moon said "They'll go over like a Lead Zepplin" he heard/was told about the band. I hve no doubt in my mind that Led Zepplin were definatly one of the best bands ever, mainly because of the way they could all play together and be so good inidvidually.

As to Buddy's comment, for him to even take notioce of Bonham and know who he was, that surely shows that Buddy has some respect for the man.

Last edited:

If Buddy Rich and John Bonham had a drum battle, John Bonham would get his nuts handed to him.

i think the arguement is a moot point. we will never know...and they were different styles.

btw, bonham and moon were friends and 'going down like a lead balloon is a compliment. when a gig goes down it means it is going well. git down ya'll. kieth could see the ingredients were all there for a super group....he knew they would be a sensation.

j

"Going down like a lead balloon" is most certainly NOT a compliment!

Having done many gigs that have gone that way I know!

i beg to differ. the slang in the midlands of england circa 1970...going down meant it was going well...think of swallowing a pill or drinking a pint... it's going down. just like heavy and phat are compliments these days too.

according to all sources i've come across kieth admired bonzo and they were mates.

j

NUTHA JASON said:
i beg to differ. the slang in the midlands of england circa 1970...going down meant it was going well...think of swallowing a pill or drinking a pint... it's going down. just like heavy and phat are compliments these days too.

according to all sources i've come across kieth admired bonzo and they were mates.

j

The Midlands of England is where I'm from, and "going down like a lead balloon" is one of the more polite ways of ariticulating that something has not gone well. However I utterly concur that it is a matter of record that Moonie and Bonzo had the highest regard for one another.

Buddy Rich was arguably known as the greatest drummer of all time...kind of like Xerox being the king of copiers, if you know what I mean...but what made Bonham extra cool was that NOBODY got a sound like him. I think Buddy may have copped the groove that Bonham did but he sure wouldn't have copped the sound. Could you hear Buddy playing "When the levee breaks' and it sounding as powerful as Bonzo? Probably not...Just my opinion...

Re: The Buddy Rich sound

A few prerequisites...
Buddy used drums made differently than they're made today. (fewer, thicker plies, and usually maple) Also, the vintage drums I've played (like "Radio Kings") have slightly larger diameters, so there's less of that modern "ka-wang!" overly-resonant sound. He used white coated Remo "Diplomat" heads mostly. To my ears, almost any drum set sounds a lot better in a big concert hall. (where we typically heard Buddy) Buddy typically carried a piece of 1/2" plywood with the band, on which the drums were always set up. (no carpet) And of course, his awesome technique made the biggest difference in the sound. But anyway...

i've heard Buddy play drums tensioned in a variety of ways, and have even followed equipment trucks back to the music store, when a local store provided drums for certain concerts, and tapped on them myself, using a pitch pipe as a reference. I would say that this was a waste of time. Buddy was a "normal" drummer, in that he didn't spend hours sitting at the set with a drum key in his hand. If the drums sounded "good", or even "ok", Buddy could kick a band and thrill us with the sound. He may have been a little more finicky during recording dates, but I can't even guarantee that, since the drums vary (quite a bit, sometimes) from one album to another.

Buddy typically tensioned his drums a little tighter than most people would think. Using pitch as an example for the top head tension: snare: a to c - (bottom head about a 4th to a 6th higher, say E to F# - (Toms, both heads the same) 9X13: d - 16X16(1) g - 16X16(2) c - Bass drum: a to c

Important...
Buddy often did not touch the drums for long periods of time. So, especially using "Diplomat" heads, the top head pitch would naturally go down, over time. There are recordings of Buddy where the drums are obviously loose, but still tensioned to about the same (5th) intervals. The pitch is NOT important... In fact, I'd say that you really don't want the pitch to be heard, because it can interfere with the music. It's just a combination of high, medium, and low tones, brought to life by a drummer who really knew how to play emotionally.

Back