The gigging scene in your area

It pretty much sucks in Dallas-Fort Worth. Bar and venue owners don't call back, overbook, or host 5 bands in one night, charge patrons $20 to get in, then don't give the bands anything from the door or bar but offer a free pitcher of beer if the bands bring in 5 people or more. Let's see, my math used to be good. 5 people x $20 = $100. That pitcher of beer costs $100. And usually it's in a small pitcher and it's Coors Lite or something lame like that.

Plenty of free mic nights or jams going on, but you never get paid unless you are the band hosting. A lot of bands host jams two or three nights a week around town, so newer bands don't really have a chance to do much.

The bar bands have been playing together for years - literally - 10 years or more and get first calls at bars or venues, or are the owners "friends".

A few play VFW posts, but only get maybe $50 per band person to play 3 or 4 hours.

There are a few bands that go after corporate / wedding gigs, but the field there is stiff...too many trying to break in and make it, setting their fees low in order to get the gig, thereby driving down prices for musicians.

I subbed in a country band once recently at the world famous White Elephant Saloon in Fort Worth. The leader plays there maybe twice a month with his band. He's been playing there years and the fee is always the same $120.00 plus all the draft beer you can drink. He's afraid of charging more for fear the owners will get po'd and hire someone else. Which there are plenty of bands trying to play there.

The market is better in Ausin which is 3 hours away from me. Or Houston, which is farther.

Back