The ballad snare

Well Lar, seven years on.........did you ever get that ballad snare?

In fact, did you ever play that ballad again?

No Jules I never did.

I lasted with that band until spring 2012. This recording was the apex of that band. It was a slow downhill descent musically for him after this was recorded. The guitar player was never as good as this...after this. He always tried to duplicate this solo and always fell far short. I don't know why he declined. He slowly unraveled right before my eyes. He is a responsible man, a successful doctor. But his great musical playing just slowly eroded away, to the point where I had to leave in 2012. I can't support going backwards musically.

Thanks for asking though.

Larry i look forward to the day I can reply to my own thread I started on DW... 7 years ago. That is quite a feat. I have to wait until 2018.

But if one thing I learned on here it will be the drummer not the drum, on any ballad or not.

Perfect excuse Larry to ask Andy to build a unique segmented ballad snare. Made out of walnut, you'd reach a new low (pun intended).

Larry i look forward to the day I can reply to my own thread I started on DW... 7 years ago. That is quite a feat. I have to wait until 2018.

But if one thing I learned on here it will be the drummer not the drum, on any ballad or not.

Hey you don't have long to go Louis :) 2017...I can smell it.

I agree with the drummer over the drum thing, like all the way. But on a recording, there's the extra mile you can go to really pad out the sonics.

The ballad snare was all about making the track sonically more satisfying.

I was hearing just this massive, gigantic, over the top (and under the bottom) snare apocalyptic event on every backbeat.

I am not trying to stop your GAS. But, have you tried just throwing an old head upside down on top of the snare for when you play that song? Or maybe buy or make your own version of the Big Fat Snare Drum?

I am not trying to stop your GAS. But, have you tried just throwing an old head upside down on top of the snare for when you play that song? Or maybe buy or make your own version of the Big Fat Snare Drum?

I didn't try that. Honestly, I don't think there is a substitute for sheer size. Which is what I was after at the time. And it wasn't that important really, or I would have acquired one. I don't have a use for a ballad snare anymore, that band is nothing but a memory now. So this whole thread isn't relevant anymore. It's like when FB tells you that you said this or that 5 years ago.

record sounds fantastic uncle L!!

you know I've always been a fan of your playing

as for the snare situation .... a buddy of mine converted a 14" floor tom into a snare drum that he keeps to the left of his hats for these situations ... it sounds ridiculous !!!!

just installed a throw and snare reso side hoop and boom ....literally

I'm far too lazy and cheap... I just use these
https://bigfatsnaredrum.com/

EDIT: just realized this was from '09

Thanks Tony. The BFSD is impressive. The far away sound sample, where just the drummer was onstage, was a real convincer. I might get one.

BTW, your cotton fiber tension rod detuning prevention method, or CFTRDPM, is genius. Great tip.

Back