Revisiting an old friend

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My dad would be laughing at me now since he bought me my first kit back when I was a kid, and over the next 35 years I had to try all sorts of new drums only to end up back where I started. Today I’m re-visiting my old Tama Flexi-Flyer pedal from 1978 - ironically, I’ve made every pedal I’ve played over my career feel like this one. This is basically the old Camco design of the 60s (the one everybody copied). I think I like this one because of the wide footboard and my foot feels better on it. I may put a new beater on this one and gig it into the new year…..

49D54B02-5CE0-46B6-B2D2-985D0405191F.jpeg

You've come back around to that pedal a couple times, haven't you?

It's funny how we always come back to our old favorites. I recently sort of did the same thing. I started out on an Iron Cobra but stupidly sold it a few years ago. But, I was really happy with my Camco pedal for quite a while until the spring broke on it one day. This lead me to re-visit the world of ICs again. I found the Iron Cobra felt VERY similar to the Camco, but with a little more power.

I THINK I've settled on the pedal I will stay with now...

You've come back around to that pedal a couple times, haven't you?

It's funny how we always come back to our old favorites. I recently sort of did the same thing. I started out on an Iron Cobra but stupidly sold it a few years ago. But, I was really happy with my Camco pedal for quite a while until the spring broke on it one day. This lead me to re-visit the world of ICs again. I found the Iron Cobra felt VERY similar to the Camco, but with a little more power.

I THINK I've settled on the pedal I will stay with now...
That’s why I kept this one. I figure I’d come back to it sooner or later. Before this I was using a Yamaha Flying Dragon with a single chain, but the trap case got the regular cheap Yamaha 7210 with the single chain for the gigs. This pedal may go into the trap case next.

THAT sir.....is my kind of pedal. nice.

I still use my dads speed king from the 50's!! The pedal I grew up on, though it does not go out to my metal and punk gigs....

This is basically the old Camco design of the 60s (the one everybody copied). I think I like this one because of the wide footboard and my foot feels better on it. I may put a new beater on this one and gig it into the new year…..
You don't mind not having a solid base plate on the bottom?

I’m 50-50 on having a bottom plate. Since I carry my own rug having a plate doesn’t help as much as we’re told. It does make the pedal more solid, but not so solid that I’m convinced I need one.
That makes sense. So for those of us who remain rugless, the base plate (not BASS plate :ROFLMAO:) may be a good thing.

I have two Dw 5000 and 9000 pedals, and I never hesitate to play my old tama pedal that came with my early 1990 rockstars.

When I see that pedal why do my thoughts go to Premier but not a metal foot board. Crap..now my mind is working overtime at 3 in the morning. I just got up to drink some 7up.

Nice!!
I had a pair of King Beat pedals that had that same footboard. Always felt great.

Back