Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
learning a beat that my band members try and teach me, but i can easily make one up almost on the spot or remember a beat in my head and play it with little trouble!

also i have trouble with single pedals, i usually can't do more than doubles at 16th's

rudiments are getting easier but if i do to much, three to six minuets at the most, than i get tired and concentrating is extremely difficult, then everyone gets angry and disappointed.

finding a good double bass kick set for around $100 / $350ish American money.

tuning the toms and floor toms, they sound so damn bright it sounds horrible.

dropping sticks in the middle of a song.

(yuep i have a lot right now)

I usually tend to speed down in a jazz setting.. to the point where my ensemble teacher loses his patience very often.. I practiced playing and singing the melody along with a metronome, but that problem seems to be really hard to eradicate
sounds like you have trouble concentrating. try and concentrate and pay attention to the songs, and catch your self from messing up and fix a problem before it starts or gets out of hand. do you even like jazz?

My greatest weakness is double bass playing. This is basically because I've never really worked on it nor do I own a double pedal. I love drummers who do it well and my of them are among my favorite players.

It's just that I've never been in any kind of musical situation where it was required or even encouraged. I did own a double pedal years ago and worked on some things, but when I pulled out a lick or two on one song the band leader looked at me and said, "Leave that thing home tomorrow."

Now, I know that it was more an example of poor musicianship on my part rather than double bass playing itself but it just shows I never was called upon to learn it.

That being said, I do whant to get better at it. Any recommendations on a goo double pedal?

I have been playing for about 5 years, and am quite proud of my achievement with technique, style etc. (not cocky, just pleased)
but i have noticed something pretty scandalous recently;

y'know your basic rock beat, the first thing your average teacher will teach right?
the second thing i have commonly found taught is then the 16th note basic 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a fill from the snare around the toms, ending on the FT

(anyone not familiar with this is an alien)

... I can't do it.

i never practiced it, always worked on technique, grooves, improv.
seriously, it's really weird; here you have me with my fancy push pull and my flashy moeller pull out accents, and i can't play that!!!

FAIL.

My greatest weakness lies in my creativity sometimes i just dont know what to play when i sit at my kit and technique wise its probably in getting around kit...

I'd have to say it's my tendency to overestimate myself. I'm not a great player (yet), but I'll often expect myself to perform beyond my capabilities.

Then, after I'm left fatigued or off rhythm from not being conditioned enough, I face my other weaknesses: impatience and rage hahah.

I'd have to say it's my tendency to overestimate myself. I'm not a great player (yet), but I'll often expect myself to perform beyond my capabilities.

Then, after I'm left fatigued or off rhythm from not being conditioned enough, I face my other weaknesses: impatience and rage hahah.

Sorry all...its been awhile since i posted on my own thread...I apoligize...got sideswiped ... and still shaking off the cobb webbs...

Warheart...This Post is about stating your personal greatest weakness so others can help you...but you have the ability to help the majority of the drummers in this thread...even your name maybe descibing your character...Heart & War has extrordinary meaning

- Look at your first line your honest about your ability and then say (yet) thats confidence & a strength...not a weakness

- Then you expect to perform above your level..."well how else do you think anyone can reach the next level if they don't go for it & give it their all ? and strength you have.

- impatience & rage may be a problem..but its easy to fix...."you won't get so upset if you practice having a little more patience with yourself"...

You'll be fine my friend with all your great qualities...

I think that my weak point is the bass foot (in my case, the left one) . Finding the sweet rebound spot in the pedal is something not easy to do... But, as I consider that as my weak point, It is also the thing I practice the most...and I get to improve it with practice...
Using double pedal was never in my mind, cause I do not play such things that would require the usage of double pedal.
I am always working on my left foot.

Weak points should be a motivation for us drummers, it´s important to discover them and work hard on them, and not to feel bad for having them, with time and practice, weaknesses can be overcomed and turn into something good.

Independece. Especially fast samba type of stuff - I wan't to do it, but can't yet, at least not with a good touch, it all becomes F'ing loud and undynamic. yuck.

Double bass-I spent the better part of my early years trying to be the next Bonham-refused to play double bass. Now I want to learn it, but I get frustrated with my weak left foot.

Swing-I want to be able to do the Fool in the Rain type stuff. I also want to be able to do jazzy type things...Buddy Rich stuff.

Confidence-people I play with have more confidence in my drumming than I do. I have very little confidence in my timing. I am always wondering-Am I speeding up, am I slowing down.

I was even called Mr. Metronome before-by a great drummer whom I looked up to..Still no confidence.

The logical answer for me would be "I don't have a drumkit or virtually any experience".

But I'd rather blame my impatience...because I can.

double bass :((
I also tend to slightly float in tempo...

There are 3 posts out of the last 5 saying double bass & left foot are your weaknesses...try these few options and maybe one will click in

- Play & practice everyday for the next 2-3 months right handed as normal and left footed to strengthen the coordination and abikity of your left foot...even an AC/DC album could help..those BD patterns are simple

- alternate hands & foot on just SD & BD's...play "Monkey see...Monkey do"
examples:

SD = RedSD - RL
BD= BlueBD - RL
Keep repeating these hand & foot combo's seperately at differant tempos starting slow and build...then try and combine them for coordination

RRLL
RLRL
RLRRLR
RLRLRLRL

Good Luck & let me know if this helps......Lee

kryptonite, no but really for me its staying focused and getting my left hand chops up

A weakness I've noticed is occasionally dragging the backbeat. My tempo is solid, yet for some reason I occasionally play the snare a split second late, or at least it sounds that way to me. The band doesnt' seem to recognize this. Guitar players, what do they know? Suggestions anyone?

Left hand weakness
Left foot weakness and independance
and i hate abonormal time signatures!!!!!

My weaknesses are rooted some basic fundamental issues that I'll be working on till the day I die. Things as simple as basic time keeping and different feels and tempos.Yes, I would be considered an "advanced" player at this point but I think the basics are the hardest thing. That is, to really get them honed and mastered is not so easy. This has been my experience. This is what I have learned from older more experienced players and this includes all musicians, not just drummers..

doubles with my left hand. I can do them fast, and I can do them slow, but I cant really do them in between very well.

Everyone Post you greatest weakness & let the world of drummers help you fix it...I'm certain we have all been there or not there yet !!!....You may recieve multiple tips on how to overcome any drumming problem...

Peace! Lee
Hmm - weaknesses:

Overindulgence and Underachievement & an insatiable love for big breasts and tight shorts

Seriously - i don't have just one thing - I am just beginning and have a lot to learn and practice, so making time to practice, not play is my answer.

Discipline when it comes to practicing. When I hit an obstacle I get frustrated and move on to something else.

Back