PDP Maple X7 Opinions?

Take your time, play as many kits as you can, trust your ears and eyes.

The best kit in the world is the kit that inspires you to sit down and play.

I'm late to the party, but I'll give a review anyway.

I've had a PDP X7 maple since January of this year. After 7 months, I can say I am very happy with the purchase. There were no QC issues at all. The bearing edges are well cut and the finishes are pretty. The STM tom mounts work well and you can arrange the toms low and close together (which I like).

On the interior of the shells, the maple isn't sanded as smooth as on some more expensive maple kits, which should reduce the resonance slightly. It's not necessarily a bad thing and likely one the ways they save money on production.

I'm using Evans EC2 SST on the toms with the stock resonant heads. I would the describe the sound of the toms as warm, punchy & fat, with good resonance (and not at all boxy or dull). The tuning range is fairly broad. I have the resonant heads tuned a bit higher than the batters, and the batters are setup for attack (fairly loose).

The low light of the set is the snare, which I could never get quite where I wanted it although I would describe it's sound as "okay", and the stock batter heads which got dented up after 30 minutes of playing. This goes for nearly every set in this price range.

I think people should refrain from judging a set until they have heard it, as things can change quickly. My first set was a Pearl Export series from the mid-90s; it was made of poplar and cost $1500 at the time. The PDP X7, which is made of maple, has 2 extra drums, and was $600 cheaper, absolutely blew the Pearl kit away in sound quality.

I think the X7 Maple kit represents great overall value. It is certainly not the best sounding kit on the planet, but for sound quality at this price point, it's hard to beat.

Financial aid

Hello, my Dear Friends.

My name is Roman, I found myself in a difficult situation. He worked in the company Utair, wage arrears was 4 months old, and I have several loans at 3 million rubles. Retired, paid 30% of the salary. Sue them useless (there were several ships a losing) they are bankrupt and nobody will pay. Settled in other airlines, at the moment, because of the crisis in the country there is a delay in salary, it is necessary to pay loans and moreover, very urgent.

In debt, as in silks. Please help,
Sberbank card number 4276 3800 9385 3336
Paipal - account number [email protected]
Sincerely, Roman.
Site - http://podolsk-pomogi.ru
Google Translate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Original text
Меня зовут Роман, я попал в трудную жизненную ситуацию. Работал в компании Utair, задолженость по зарплате была 4 месяца, а у меня несколько кредитов, на 3 миллиона рублей. Уволился, выплатили 30% от всей зарплаты. Судиться с ними бесполезно (было несколько судов, дело проигрышное), они банкроты и никто ничего не выплатит. Устроился в другую Авиакомпанию, на данный момент, из-за кризиса в стране идёт задержка в зарплате, а кредиты выплачивать надо и причём, очень срочно.
Номер карточки сбербанка 4276 3800 9385 3336
PayPal - номер счёта [email protected]
С уважением, Роман.

Hello. For a while I've been looking around for a high-end drum kit with a budget of about $2,000. I'd like to have something a little bigger than a 5-piece so it hasn't been easy with the budget. I then stumbled across the pdp Maple X7 series.

Although I don't recognize it has a high-end kit by label, it surprised me... a lot. 7 Pieces, %100 Maple, Lacquer finish, all priced at only $900 from musician's friend?! I would think drums like those ought to be at least three times the cost!

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/PDP-X7-Maple-7Piece-Drum-Shell-Pack?sku=581619

I've heard not-so-good reviews from the X7 before, but they kept mentioning that it uses cheap mahoggany or poplar wood. This is Maple! What's the deal here? I heard that they come in really bad heads, but those can be replaced. And I'd probably also replace the snare too with the extra budget money. This deal sounds amazing! Is it too good to be true?

Edit:
Sorry I didn't realize that there was another pdp X7 post not too far below this one. I tried searching before posting but the engine didn't find anything. I would still appreciate responses based on my personal desires and budget.
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my cheapo kit, a Gammon 5 piece kit that I received as a retirement xmas gift from my wife in 2018. I am now retired at 69 yo. I play for enjoyment in my basement "studio" which I created during the COVID hibernation. New stereo system setup to play My Music (Woodstock era , classic rock), and I "play" along with it. I had a hiatus from drums of over 50 years!!! So glad I did !! I have made upgrades for a better sound from the Gammon kit : new Evans G1 and G2 heads ( experimented with Remo Ambassadors), all new Paiste PST 7s and 8s Cymbals, added 3 drums - DW Designer brass / nickel 14 x 6.5 snare ( love the sound), pdp concept maple 8 x 10 rack tom and a pdp concept Popcorn snare - so the question is this: should I consider purchasing a pdp X7 Maple 6 piece kit ( no snare) on Reverb for $699 or simply purchase a used Floor Tom to replace the Gammon floor tom ? The economies of scale seem to dictate thst instead of adding drums from different makers , creating a mish mosh of a kit , to simply getting a mint condition used kit like tge one I cited above..... could I trade my existing kit to a store like Sam Ash or others, or sell it on eBay? Thx for anybody's input. I will say, over the course of 50 years, the array of equipment selection is Mind Numbing....... in my starting era 50 years ago the names of kits were pretty simple : Slingalind, Gretch, Pearl, Ludwig, .......Gotta stay away from Youtube.

Back