My New Ludwig Centennials (good and bad news!)

Yes I agree, the edge is smooth. With my eyes closed, I probably could not tell the difference myself. It's the *look* of the repair job that's disappointing to see on a $1900 kit. The point is that this is a new kit. It may not be "high end" to some, but $1900 is a lot of money. If you were to spend $1900 on a brand new Yamaha, Pearl, Pork Pie, DW, Tama, etc., would a repair job one one of those kits be acceptable to you? Looks are important too ;) To each his own... I am still disappointed in Ludwig. I have to say my dealer has been great in helping to replace the drum though. I will soon find out an ETA for the replacement shell. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to wait several weeks again, but at least they are replacing it.

At no point have I said this was acceptable. My whole point all along has been that this is blowing WAY out of proportion. With all of the bandwagon bashing of companies nowadays, it really isn't fair. I'm sorry your shell was sub-par. It happens. It happens from all companies. I understand you weren't happy. But posting it here fro al to see when it is being replaced seems over the top to me.

Its too easy to jump on the internet and bash a company for the world to see nowadays. And then everyone piles on. I could see posting this if they were NOT going to replace it, but they are. So why bother. Things go wrong in the world everyday. Not all of them need to be a thread here or anywhere else. That's all.

Remember this. While your are disappointed with your $1900 Ludwig drumkit, there a plenty of less fortunate drummers who'd pay $1000 for an entire kit of factory repaired Ludwigs..

What I'd really like to see is a new thread with the praises of the new shell and the company. Too many people find it easier to bitch about things then give praises when needed....

Good luck with your new drums....

First of all congrats jesseleite on your beautiful kit!

Also on getting the replacement drum!

Now....I'm probably gonna take flack for this.

But.

Some wood filler on a drum isn't a huge deal. It happens. Companies make a drum and then something goes wrong while routing the bearing edge (maybe an overheated or dulled bit) and instead of scrapping the wrap AND the shell you put some wood filler in it.

The drum still sounds great, plays great, and feels great. Getting a 7 piece maple shell pack in a laquer finish for under $2000 is amazing! Unfriggin heard of until recently and this is bound to happen. We're not talking about a high end $4000 for 5 piece drum set. We're talking about an intermediate kit.

When you're making drums in Taiwan you're worried about margins, and throwing out a hundred dollar wrapped shell as compared to putting some wood filler in it makes a lot more sense.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Ludwig Centennials as they are one of (if not) the best sounding drums in the price range. I will admit that i love Ludwig drums to anyone who asks and I'm willing to take heat for this one.

But again....maple shell.....7 pieces... lacquer...actually tunes well....seriously....they tune up like a drum...and they sound great.

I rest my case

Amen....................

I get what you guys are saying, but I DO think this is a big deal for someone buying a kit,opening a box and seeing this.
It's NOT a used kit, it's new.
It's part of a $1,900 new kit.
I wouldn't be happy if it was mine.

I get that kits cost more these days, and any real decent kit costs a lot more.

Sure, things happen, a missing gasket, maybe a slightly off hole, some splinters sticking out from under a washer...

However, THIS drum should have been set aside, and could be sold as a B stock drum to someone EASILY--and someone would be happy to get it.

But it was put into a shell pack as A stock and a "that's good enough", and that's the problem.
They put other drums in B stock for WAY less than this.

If the Centennial was a discontinued line, and "this is all there is, this one doesn't look pretty but it's got a perfectly smooth edge" that's one thing.

This is something that Ludwig should be made aware of, as I said twice already, and I hope jesseleite follows up and makes Grant aware.

It wasn't done in his plant, but he's someone that should be made aware to let the people in charge of the Taiwan plant know the situation.

For anyone who thinks I'm "piling on" Ludwig--you couldn't be more wrong.
I love Ludwig drums, have been playing them since 1975. I have 3 great kits, and all but 2 of my 11 snares are Ludwig.
I've been "loyal" because they sound great, work great, and never let me down.
I personally haven't gotten anything but op-notch gear from them ever.

Les would probably classify me as a Ludwig "slappy" sometimes, and we've gone back and forth having debates (and fun) on Ludwig stuff over some time, but I agree with Les on this one.

Having corresponded with Kevin Packard and Grant Henry a few times, I KNOW that this is something Ludwig DOES NOT want happening.

From my dealings with these guy's "that's good enough" isn't gonna cut it.

Companies make a drum and then something goes wrong while routing the bearing edge (maybe an overheated or dulled bit) and instead of scrapping the wrap AND the shell you put some wood filler in it.

So LUDWIG has a screw-up and they pass it on to the consumer? That's not a company anyone wants to deal with, not for a $2000.00 drum kit.

With all of the bandwagon bashing of companies nowadays, it really isn't fair. I'm sorry your shell was sub-par. It happens. It happens from all companies. I understand you weren't happy. But posting it here fro al to see when it is being replaced seems over the top to me.

Thanks for posting the LUDWIG screw -up, we should all be aware. The informed are now going to think twice about ordering/waiting 8+ weeks for Taiwan made product. LUDWIG took a chance and sent this garbage out, the person was smart enough to ask for a replacement, LUDWIG lost this time.

What's going to happen when someone who's not experienced with drum gets this shoddy workmanship, then takes a huge loss when they try and sell a few years down the road?

Consumers shouldn't be expected to pay for LUDWIG'S (or any companies) mistakes.

The point is Ludwig are rebuilding their top-end reputation. They're still suffering from their reputation from fifteen years ago and it doesn't take an awful lot of these kinds of stories on the Internet for Ludwig to have to rebuild their reputation yet again. In this day and age, they should be treading very carefully and all companies have to do the same, so to let a drum out like this undermines their own goal in so many ways.

It takes years for a company to build a reputation, but weeks (and now days) for that same reputation to be ruined, especially if it is entirely avoidable!

True, there shouldn't be filler on the edges of a $2000 kit or any other kit.
It appears from the pic that it was a very small repair.

I don't think that the minor repair was that unacceptable.
Many drummers would not have really noticed it.
I'm sure that the drum played fine.

You noticed it, and you didn't accept it.
Ludwig is sending you another drum.
All is OK.

The point is Ludwig are rebuilding their top-end reputation. They're still suffering from their reputation from fifteen years ago and it doesn't take an awful lot of these kinds of stories on the Internet for Ludwig to have to rebuild their reputation yet again. In this day and age, they should be treading very carefully and all companies have to do the same, so to let a drum out like this undermines their own goal in so many ways.

It takes years for a company to build a reputation, but weeks (and now days) for that same reputation to be ruined, especially if it is entirely avoidable!

This is exactly right. Today, information is instant and ubiquitous. I can walk into a store and scan a bar code with my phone and instantly read customer reviews of that product and the company that created it.

I've ripped Ludwig a new one several times on here. It was entirely deserved. I doubt that I'd ever order from Ludwig directly, again. My honest opinion is that they can't get the job done right. I had to go to the used market and hold another consumer accountable for the product I received, instead.

That being said, I LOVE Ludwig drums and that's what I play. I finally got what I wanted and would go into the used market again, for more Ludwig products.

The internet has empowered individuals/consumers in a revolutionary way, much like the printing press did after the 15th century. Reputations are made and broken at the speed of data, today.

Don't misinterpret this thread for being a Ludwig hate thread... I am loving my new drums and cannot wait for the new tom to come in! I don't think Ludwig's reputation should be shot down by my thread alone, but if other people are experiencing the same problems with Ludwig's Taiwanese drums too, then consumers should be able to read about it on a forum like this. I value internet reviews, and I am sure Ludwig does too (as long as they are constructive).

It's a bittersweet thing... I ordered my dream kit, had problems, and that left a bad taste in my mouth... but I hope this doesn't turn too many people off Ludwig as I am loving my new kit! It really is a nice kit; the nicest I've owned :) ...that said, I don't regret sharing my story! I think it needed to be shared.

Ludwig's quality control these days is very poor if your experience and mine are any indication. Late last year I took delivery of a new Keystone Series kit, made in North Carolina. Apparently made in U.S. is no different than made in china. Several of my bass drum tension rods were bent. The packaging was in perfect condition so I doubt that occured during shipping or transit. Additionally the memory locks took a lot of muscle and pounding to get them on the floor tom legs. Also, the black strip on the bass drum hoop was coming up slightly in a couple places. In my opinion, the hardware (lugs, hoops, etc.) are made out of budget metal and chrome, at least compared to my other drums. I bought into the whole nostalgia thing with the name as I thought owning a Ludwig kit would be something special. Big disappointment. Comparing the Keystones to my Masters MCX or Collectors DW kits is like comparing a Yugo to a Rolls. I've earned the right to bash Ludwig by paying $1800 for those four drums. While the drums themselves sound all right, and I do love the mint oyster finish, I expect better quality when shelling out that kind of money.

I recently bought a new Ludwig kit (Legacy Classic), and it is perfect, beautiful and sounds amazing. I also recently bought a new Ludwig Black Beauty, and it is perfect, beautiful and sounds amazing.

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your Cent. That sucks, and I'm glad they are replacing the drum. That is as it should be.

Now, I think some of you are over-reacting just a bit here. Quality control issues happen with a huge number of brands. Here are some issues I have had over the past dozen or so years. (All of these issues were problems that came DIRECTLY from the factory.)

2006 Grestch USA Custom- kick drum out of round to the point that it took FIVE minutes of heavy pulling to get the front head off. In addition the bearing edges were not smooth-rough to the touch and not even. I sent the drum back and they replaced it. The replacement drum took ANOTHER two months to get-they didn't rush it back to me.

2008 Ludwig Classic Maple- kick drum wrap started to lift after one month. I sent the drum back and they sent me a new one in less than a week. The new drum was flawless as were the rest of the drums I bought.

2010 Ludwig Legacy kit- flawless with absolutely no problems.

2010 C&C vintage mahogany - the kick drum had buffing wax left on it. I tried to get it off by hand, but could not. I had to send the drum back. They sent the drum back in two days via FedEx. The floor tom leg on my 16" drum blew out the first day I played the drums. I called and C&C sent me a replacement the next day. This kit is probably my favorite sounding kit, by the way.

2003 Ayotte - I bought a 16" floor tom with legs. They forgot to send the legs. I contacted them and they sent them to me about two weeks later.

2007 Pork Pie- the lugs in every single drum would loosen up to the point of falling out after about an hour's worth of playing. So damn frustrating. I have/had never had an issue like that before. I contacted the company and they suggested Lock-tite, which I used.

2008 DW kit- absolutely flawless. Not my sound, but the kit was in perfect shape and played like a champ.

2000 Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute- bent/warped rims on the 12" tom and the 16" tom. I just bought some new rims and went about my business.

2011 C&C maple kit- The kick drum arrived with TWO clamps/lugs missing! Woo-hoo! I contacted them but have not heard back.

My basic point? Sh*t happens.

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your Cent. That sucks, and I'm glad they are replacing the drum. That is as it should be.

Now, I think some of you are over-reacting just a bit here. Quality control issues happen with a huge number of brands. Here are some issues I have had over the past dozen or so years. (All of these issues were problems that came DIRECTLY from the factory.)

2006 Grestch USA Custom- kick drum out of round to the point that it took FIVE minutes of heavy pulling to get the front head off. In addition the bearing edges were not smooth-rough to the touch and not even. I sent the drum back and they replaced it. The replacement drum took ANOTHER two months to get-they didn't rush it back to me.

2008 Ludwig Classic Maple- kick drum wrap started to lift after one month. I sent the drum back and they sent me a new one in less than a week. The new drum was flawless as were the rest of the drums I bought.

2010 Ludwig Legacy kit- flawless with absolutely no problems.

2010 C&C vintage mahogany - the kick drum had buffing wax left on it. I tried to get it off by hand, but could not. I had to send the drum back. They sent the drum back in two days via FedEx. The floor tom leg on my 16" drum blew out the first day I played the drums. I called and C&C sent me a replacement the next day. This kit is probably my favorite sounding kit, by the way.

2003 Ayotte - I bought a 16" floor tom with legs. They forgot to send the legs. I contacted them and they sent them to me about two weeks later.

2007 Pork Pie- the lugs in every single drum would loosen up to the point of falling out after about an hour's worth of playing. So damn frustrating. I have/had never had an issue like that before. I contacted the company and they suggested Lock-tite, which I used.

2008 DW kit- absolutely flawless. Not my sound, but the kit was in perfect shape and played like a champ.

2000 Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute- bent/warped rims on the 12" tom and the 16" tom. I just bought some new rims and went about my business.

2011 C&C maple kit- The kick drum arrived with TWO clamps/lugs missing! Woo-hoo! I contacted them but have not heard back.

My basic point? Sh*t happens.

Your point is well taken. I'm sure there are potential quality control issues, to varying degrees, with just about any line of drums across manufactuers. Nonetheless, from reading Internet posts like these of late, I just have noticed an increased number of problems attributed to Ludwig's poor quality control. My kit was made in North Carolina and the Centennial kit was made abroad. Doesn't seem to matter whether a kit is made here or abroad unless what we've experienced is an anomaly.

Since I've returned to drumming 8 years ago, I've purchased a number of kits including three made by Pearl, one DW, and the Ludwig. The Keystone happened to be the only one I've encountered numerous fit and finish problems. Perhaps this is not indicative of Ludwig across the board but for a kit that cost more than $400 per drum, I expected better.

Point taken, and I appreciate your opinion as well. Like steadypocket said though, "Perhaps this is not indicative of Ludwig across the board but for a kit that cost more than $400 per drum, I expected better." That's exactly how I feel... My first drum kit cost less than $400... so for a $350 (+tax) floor tom, I just expected better.

Nonetheless, I AM really enjoying the kit so far... cannot wait for the replacement tom to come in!

Not to stir anything up, but here's a happy end to my story above. My 18" floor tom replacement finally came about a month ago. It took longer than it should have because the store made a mistake with the RMA/ordering. It's kind of frustrating that it took about 5 months to get my floor tom after sending it back, but at least they made good and delivered at no cost to me. I still never heard back from Grant Henry from Ludwig though.

Anyway, I bought new Coated Emperor batter heads for the whole kit, and a Coated Ambassador for my Blackrolite snare. I had to order the 24" Coated Emperor for the bass drum though. Man do I ever love a fresh set of remo skins... I should have replaced the stock ones earlier! I find that the kit is so much warmer, and so much more dynamic now with the coated emps. I feel it's better suited for quieter country and jazz now, although it can do that 70's rock sound too if played hard. My advice to anyone buying a new kit: replace the stock skins with your favourites and spend some time tuning them up properly; it can really make your kit sound and feel like a top notch kit!

Here's some pics of my newly skinned centennials along with my 2 year old son's first kit (grandpa just bought him his first drum kit yesterday).

P1000601.jpg

P1000600.jpg

P1000587.jpg

P1000592.jpg

P1000596.jpg

Last edited:
Glad it worked out. Looks great!

The shop finally got one of these kits in (your same green!).
There are some "cosmetic" things with wood grain dark spots and stuff like that, but who cares? It's wood forcryinoutloud.

It sounds really good. Even with the stock heads on it. I even like the 13" snare.

I hated the badge in pics but it's really nice in person, and so are the lugs. I liked them a lot too.
If I would have bought one for my son, I would have been happy with it (even for myself on occasion).

Glad things worked out again!
BTW, the reason you never heard from Grant Henry, is that he has left Ludwig. That happened a few months ago.

Have fun with the kit!!

Even with the stock heads on it. I even like the 13" snare.
The stock heads did sound great when tuned nicely, but I like the warmth of these coated emperors; made a big difference in my opinion. Also, I didn't realize a 13" snare was an option. Mine came with a green sparkle 6.5x14" snare. I'm using a 5x14" Blackrolite with a coated ambassador as my primary snare though. I'm thinking of putting a coated emperor on my deeper Centennial snare and tuning it lower for a different sound.

I hated the badge in pics but it's really nice in person, and so are the lugs. I liked them a lot too.
Yah the mini classic lugs are nice. I agree the badges aren't as nice as the keystone badges or blue olive parallelogram badges, but it does look good in person with the embossing and the Coca-Cola lettering :) I do like Centennial badges a lot better than the Accent, Epic, or Element series badges though.

Glad things worked out again! BTW, the reason you never heard from Grant Henry, is that he has left Ludwig. That happened a few months ago.
Ah I see... Thanks for letting me know. PS. That's a nice red sparkle kit in your pic there!

Hello,
I to have just purchased a set of Ludwig Centennals as well. Sad to say That I'm not too happy with them! I live in Australia and after having them shipped out here and assembling them, the first thing I found was a small gouge inside the kick drum ( which seems to be from the floor tom packed inside?). I would like some thoughts on what long term effect it may have? After having assembled them and giving them a tune I packed them up without any problems, then that Sunday at the first gig when I went to set them up the bolt for one of the legs on the floor tom had stripped out?? So had to do the gig minus the floor tom!! I am now waiting for an answer from drum shop? Has anyone else had any problems with their Centennials?? Once I get them working I'll let you know how they went.

Cheers David H.

Hello,
I to have just purchased a set of Ludwig Centennals as well. Sad to say That I'm not too happy with them! I live in Australia and after having them shipped out here and assembling them, the first thing I found was a small gouge inside the kick drum ( which seems to be from the floor tom packed inside?). I would like some thoughts on what long term effect it may have? After having assembled them and giving them a tune I packed them up without any problems, then that Sunday at the first gig when I went to set them up the bolt for one of the legs on the floor tom had stripped out?? So had to do the gig minus the floor tom!! I am now waiting for an answer from drum shop? Has anyone else had any problems with their Centennials?? Once I get them working I'll let you know how they went.

Cheers David H.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I don't know if the gouge would negatively affect sound, but I guess it depends on how bad it is. I would send the bass drum and the floor tom back for fixing though. They should cover the cost in repairs for you, or send you new drums altogether. For my floor tom issue, they sent me a new floor tom.

It's a great kit though... just a shame they let these kinds of things slip past quality control for their paying customers. I wonder how many Centennial owners have had problems like us, or if threads like this make them look a lot worse than they really are (being as happy customers are much less likely to post than unhappy customers)? Nonetheless, this kind of quality control shouldn't be associated with the Ludwig name, or any name for that matter.

Back