My Gear-Snares and kits

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
What I did last summer.... Haha!
I was pretty stoked to find some deeper, taller shelving units for a good price in early summer, and was finally able to really organize my gear.

The shelves were $40 each, and had 3 tiers. Since I only used two levels (they were exactly the right height) for each section, I was able to get 1 more 2 shelf "unit"! The "extra" one holds hardware in another area.

DrumShelves.jpg

Kits
L-R, Top of each shelf: 20x26, 16x26, 20x26
Shelf #1 Black Glass Glitter 2nd & 3rd levels:
13x16, 9x13, 8x12, 16x18, 14x16

Shelf #2 Red Sparkle, 2nd & 3rd levels:
14x16, 9x13, 8x12, 16x18, 14x16

Shelf #3 Kit Cymbals, stands, stick bag and FT legs I use for my Cheap Trick Tribute band.
2nd shelf has the hardware for another band.
Bottom shelf: 15x16, 13x15
The large square thing in between the units is the "bag" I made for my gong. It also conveniently holds a full set of spare heads (JIC!!).

I also have a kit set up on the other side of the room.
Sable Black, long (Mach) Lugs 18x26, 13x16, 8x12, 14x16, 16x18.

Snares, and more toms/ft's:
These shelves are in "my" side room of the basement, and were there from the original owner.
The shelves are perfect, and only take up a small area of the room (yes, my basement kicks major ass!). The original owner made a really cool work room with a couple long work benches, LOTS of electrical outlets, and a big wall "cubby" unit that holds parts just right. It's like the place was made for me 50 years early!
There's one more shelf under the snares, but that area looks a little messy, so I cropped it out :)

AllSnares.jpg

Top shelf:
Red Sparkle: 13x15, 12x14. BGG 10x14, SS 9x12 (it's Silver Sparkle from a project in '09).

Snares:
Everything but the World Max snare has a P-86...doesn't fit hole spacing :-(
I use Ludwig's (Gold-ish colored) snare cord.

5x14 Acrolite ('75) (I know, why did I paint it? Hey, I did it in 1987 gimme a break :) ).
The classic Acro workhorse snare that works for anything, and sounds cool doing it.

5x14 World Max "Vintage Classic" Brass ('02-'04-ish) Straight hoops and claws.
Very cool snare. Quality sound and build, nice price. Not a huge fan of 5" deep snares, but I like this one.

6.5 Bronze BB ('89)
Freaking LOVE this drum. It's my #1. It's been "ready to go" withing a minute of putting it on the stand for recording as long as I can remember. I only use it at home, or recording. I'm afraid to take it to gigs.

6.5 Classic Maple ('08 I think). BGG, Bowtie lugs.
Kick ass snare. Real sensitive for very soft playing/brushes, and it can also get loud, with lots of crack. Lots of life in this shell.
I LOVE the Bowtie lugs on this drum!

7x14 Custom ('11). 10 ply Maple with Ludwig Hardware, and rounder bearing edges.
Deeper sounding than it is, good tuning range, sensitive, fat, takes tighter tension without choking, and has less ringing overtones when I use it medium tight.
A friend of mine (also a Ludwig fan) built this for me and did an awesome job! The interior has some sweet flame in the grain too!

8x14 Custom ('93 or '94) with Ludwig hardware.
Ludwig WAS going to make this drum. They originally said they could put just 10 lugs on an 8x14 (usually 12), and they could put Mach lugs on it (instead of the longer fatter lug) to match my kit.
When my guy called to place the order, they then said they couldn't do it.....so, I just had it made myself. This is my "Peter Criss Alive 2" snare sound--and I like it that way!

6.5 Hammered 402 ('93)
Slightly drier than a 402, with a tiny bit shorter sustain.
Alex Van Halen told me this was a cool snare in '93, so of course I had to buy one.
Bun E. Carlos signed the inside in '99, and that day I introduced Charlie Banante to him.
True stories.

6.5 Acrolite Classic ('12)
Got this one from our very own "Uncle Larry", who was kind enough to let it go to me.
LOVE this drum!! I waited for a 6.5 Aluminum finished snare to come out for over 30 years! I knew about the couple hundred NYC Schools 6.5 drums, but I wanted to play the thing, and not have it be rare and worry about something happening to it.

6.5 Brass BB ('00 I think, can't remember)
6.5 Brass BB (year or so later)
They're BB's, what else needs to be said?? Haha!
These are awesome drums. I've used these on almost every gig I've done since I got them. I have 2 because I wanted a back-up equal to my main snare, and happily, I was able to get it.

6.5 Brass Edition B-stock ('11)
This snare sounds like the BB's, I know, but I just love a Brass snare. I kinda wanted one in chrome, and it was at a sweet price. The interior is mainly what made it a B-Stock where the chrome didn't look as good on the plate job in a couple spots. It's on the inside! Who cares!?! The outer shell has 2 very slight areas where you can see that it was rolled on the machine, which was enough to make it a B-Stock and a good buy for me!
I use this drum, or the 6.5 Acro in one of my bands. I'll also use it in place of one of the BB's sometimes.

The snare in the bag....
On the Top shelf is a 6.5 Acrolite LTD (all Aluminum finish).
The deal with this one is, the shop asked me if I would take trade instead of cash on some stuff I had on consignment. I WAS going to use the money on the Acro from Larry, but I said OK to store credit. So, I ordered an Acro Classic.
Wasn't thrilled at first, but, I figured, hey, one for back up, no OOP, plus, I'd have more credit for other stuff.
They gave me an awesome deal and no tax on top of it for doing them the favor.
When it arrived, it was a LTD instead. The LTD is more money, but they stuck to the deal anyway which was cool.
I decided to keep the drum un-played and factory new. You never know what's gonna be popular and fetch a high price in 20 or 30 years!

I'm pretty fortunate, and I never forget it, or take it for granted.

Cymbals are for another thread...

Thanks for looking!

Wow Karl, would it be fair to assume you quite like Ludwig then? ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, what impresses me here is the obvious care & efficiency in storing your gear. All well looked after to. An advantage in having multiple interchangeable drums is the endless setup possibilities. Very practical, very workmanlike, very passionate.

I love it!

Im not impressed.......ok i lied, WOW! Nice gear you have there.

Karl, awesome collection there.................IMO, you can't beat Ludwig's metal snares.

From the pics, looks like you're a Remo guy also

That is a great collection of drums! Peace and goodwill.

Thanks for the post, Karl! That is a fun bunch you have there. The Bun E, Carlos story is pretty cool. He is one of my favorite drummers. He stops in my drum store when he is in the Denver area, and I always seem to miss him. Next time......

Damn, Karl. Beautiful! And so organized.

Color me jealous!

Beautiful stuff. As a fellow Ludwig fan I congratulate you. I'll be using these pics to convince my wife that I need 12 snare drums.

Karl,

There's a Luddy: 26, 13 & 18 on Ebay UK. I'm thinking about it for The Waterboarders.

Unless a nice Yamaha comes along...............

;-)

That black glass glitter and the way you photographed it/set it up is one of my favorites. I actually just stared at the pics for a while and I really prefer wood finish drums (not wraps).

Snare collection is ridiculously nice-

Great basement- any sound deadening/absorbing stuff down there? Just remembering the concrete block wall behind the kit.

I echo everyone else in saying how great your space is. It shows how respectful you are towards your instruments and the care you provide.

Nicely done!

Thanks for the nice words guys!

Oh, I definitely would not say no to a stave snare :)

Yeah, repetitive I'll admit it. I just know what I like (and what I don't) after trying different things over time.

I even like a particular type of snare sound when I'm playing. I always end up with it-- no matter if I start with something different on a drum.

After the usual "fiddling while playing", it always ends up with the same "type" of sound, and just the individual drums shell character/tone is the main difference.
I stopped fighting it, and, for my own sanity (and wallet), I decided "I'm done".

My kits can all be set up the same way too, which might seem crazy, but, I like a particular set up, I can do anything I want with it, I know I like (and go back to) particular sizes the best, and I like different colors :)

It would be cool to have 18" and 20" bass drums though. I don't play Bop, or Jazz, but I do like the vibe of those kits, and how they sound a lot.

I found what I was always looking for in cymbals--right in front of my face (ears) too, which is the stupid thing.

I just had to face it, & stop trying to find what I exactly wanted, in a brand I was never going to get exactly IT with.

I still love all my other cymbals, they all sound great, but they aren't IT like the Paiste's are.
Other than a couple things I'd like to have, I'm done with the "cymbal search" too.

You can check out some YouTube vids pretty easily. Some audio is pretty good from the bigger places too. A song or two from our last show with Steel Panther is up I think.
There's the Artificial Agent facebook page too.

Look up Artificial Agent, or Class Three Overbite.

I don't have any video recording devices. I've kept putting that type of purchase off. It's something I should probably have, if only for recording rehearsals.

I guess I'm not in the age demographic that cares about putting up YouTube stuff haha!

I've tried a few times to post some stuff from my Artificial Agent bands CD, but the file type never links right here for some reason.
I have a couple nice recordings of my Cheap Trick Tribute band, where I used a 28" bass drum too, but those won't link either :-(

If people want to PM me with an email, I can do a mass send (Blind CC of course) of a few songs.

I really did record with a 20x26:

studio8-15-10.jpg

Steel Panther gig (12-22-12). Sold out, and they were turning people away at the doors. This is a 1,700 seat theater.

407180_10151196992536378_375952999_n.jpg

181825_10151196982461378_838173162_n.jpg

71761_10151196992816378_731132044_n.jpg

547622_10151196991911378_801002553_n.jpg

Oh yeah, 20-22 and 24" cymbals that are played "solidly", all on flat base stands!
Rack tom on flat base stand too.

A light load in the hardware case is very awesome!

Rack tom on flat base stand too.

A light load in the hardware case is very awesome!

I'm considering a flat base snare stand as well, seems as though it would sit a bit tighter to a smaller sized bass drum.

Obviously a 26" you could fit tripod legs under easier due to the height, a 20" poses more of an issue.

Yes, the live shots are the new Atlas flat base stands. The studio pic are my DW 6000 flat stands.

For the stands in a couple of my bands, I actually use the Atlas straight/boom version (as a straight) with a DW boom arm for the "top part".

I do this because the "in line" stem for the cymbal puts it in the exact position I want, and the cymbal movement can be adjusted by DW's space adjuster. I'm pretty picky about the amount the cymbal moves, so I just don't have to think about it with the DW tilter.

The Atlas tilter is actually pretty awesome, and very well built. It's just that, in most cases with the couple bands, I need to just plop the stand down on my marks, and I don't have time to fiddle around, so I just use the DW tilter I'm used to and don't have to think about.

I like how it looks together too. The DW's "3 ring" styling goes well with Ludwig's "3 lines" and the circular hideaway boom piece. the Black and Chrome make for nice contrast also.
I'm an artist, so I look at, and think about all this stuff....I like to fiddle with gear and stuff to, so that's also part of it haha!

I also have some straight stands I use "stock", just the way they come too, in another band :)

The flat base Atlas hi-hat stand is AWESOME. It feels great, very responsive. It folds down (and up) easily, and it's light with no sway. Even playing pretty hard with 15" hats, it's solid.

The snare baskets hold solidly, with no loss of resonance on a snare, or for a tom.

The feet on the flat base stands are genius IMO.
In the high position (which is how I have everything), cords laying about the stage are no issue at all. The feet keep the legs totally off the ground. In low and high positions, stand legs can overlap. The stands are very stable with my large cymbals. No probs.

The wing nuts are great. The size is good, they're comfortable, they're solid, and spin on and off very smoothly. They look nice too.

The ONLY thing I wish the Atlas flat base stuff had are memory locks.
The PRO stands have them, and are integrated, but those are just heavier than I want to deal with these days.
The flat base stuff is the "Classic" line, so most people probably want to break them down as short as possible, but I just fold the legs up, so I like locks to keep everything the same. I just used Gibraltar hinged ML's to get what I wanted.

Back