Most Under-rated Drummers

relyc said:
I'm kind of partial to Adam Topol of Jack Johnson's band. He plays a lot of similar stuff but always manages to spice it up just a bit to make it interesting. I also love his sounds; dark and warm and pleasant to listen to. Oh, and Will Champion completely. If Dave Grohl says you're a great drummer- well, then you've got something, haven't you?!

cheers.
you are so right i love Adams drumming on the brush fire fairytails album. He can really spice up some of those songs with some really cool and solid bell beats. I think every one should hear him at least once.

Nick Mason of Pink Floyd
John Densmore of The Doors
Danny Seraphine of Chicago
Jim Keltner- session drummer etc.
Larry Mullen Jr. of U2
Sib Hashian of Boston
Abe Laboriel Jr. of Paul McCartney

Larry Mullen Jr. is DEFINITELY under-rated! No question about it.
Hmmm who else...
Chad Kent- Atomship
Dude from Chevelle
Neil Peart- Rush
Chad Butler- Switchfoot
Michael Ewacha- Me

i don't know if he's been mentioned already, but taylor hawkins of the foo fighters is a

pretty good drummer that is under-rated in my opinion. i haven't heard his work on "in

your honor" but his stuff on "there is nothing left to lose" is very nice. as is "colour and

the shape". the drumming on "one by one" is ok... it leaves a bit to be desired.

ronnie vanucci - the killers

mick (woody) woodmansey - bowie's spiders from mars

dennis davis - bowie (he was on station to station and scary monsters... i apologize if i spelled it wrong)

steve fogarino - interpol

steven morris - joy division/new order

i know he's well known, but i thoroughly enjoyed bill bruford's work in king crimson... especially discipline, beat, and three of a perfect pair

imperfect gentleman said:
ronnie vanucci - the killers

mick (woody) woodmansey - bowie's spiders from mars

dennis davis - bowie (he was on station to station and scary monsters... i apologize if i spelled it wrong)

steve fogarino - interpol

steven morris - joy division/new order

i know he's well known, but i thoroughly enjoyed bill bruford's work in king crimson... especially discipline, beat, and three of a perfect pair
I can't believe I forgot these two guys!

Haha thanks Wile E. Coyote.

this was posted by mikkeydave

1.Listen to his songs just like "creep" or something, he plays the hihat sooo "stiff" that even sounds like a drum program, rather than a real human drummer playing... obviously that's what a studio newbie doing when being nervous and afraid to make mistakes.
2. on one of their 2 disk live album, i already forgot name. before a song, he plays a stick click 1-2-3-4 to set a tempo. Very easy to tell he started too fast and just slowed down at 3-4. Poor feel for tempo.
3.same albume, the live version "just" ..... holly sh!t that was a mess... poor control
4. have u ever listen to their studio version "just"? pretty cool song, i love it.
however, phil once in an interview said "just" was a song that brings him to the "top" in recording.... compared to other songs, yes, "just" is a bit more complicated. but everyone believes for ANY studio/session drummers that can be a true piece of cake. But in this track u can also feel that phil has less confident to play it with more "moving dynamics". Just another programmed machine, very nervous to "catch up" the song not to screw it up.

live situations are always a disaster waiting to happen.

with the common men... my drummer sometimes plays at a tempo slower or faster than what the clicked intro is... oh well... it happens...

in fact... some press has labeled our shows as violently entertaining trainwrecks... where sometimes the only thing holding the show together is the audience's applause.

i guess i'm different when it comes to my live performances... i like some unknown... so rawness... even loss of control in the name of emoting a song.

also... there is nothing wrong with sounding like a programmed machine. in the band i druym in... razorblade monalisa... my goal is to sound mechanical more than half the time... it's what the music calls for.

badlydubbedsean said:
Andy Burrows of Razorlight, he is very creative and good live. Razorlight are one all time classic band.

Meh, debatable on that last point. but agreed, he plays some nice ride figures on that new single, though why Razorlight should be singing about trouble in America seems a touch odd. Playing up to the U.S. market?

Leonard Haze = Y & T =Yesterday & Today
Rob Reiner = Anvil = Canadians

There are so many great studio drummers out there recording and most people don't even know their names.

One day I am going to go to Mississippi and see the real Jazz with real heart and soul.

Re: Underrated Drummers

Stu_Strib said:
And what about both of Tom Petty's drummers (or did I already mention them). Steve Ferrone is the poster-drummer for underrated drummers.
Here, here! Watch TP&HB Live at the Olympic DVD. Ferrone lays a pocket a mile wide and just as deep! The guy plays so smooooooth and effortlessly. Phenomenal!

Also a big Stan Lynch fan! Too bad there isn't a page on him here on the Drummerworld home page. Very simple and right on. Good back up singer as well!

Another drummer I like is Kevin Ellman who used to play with Todd in the first incarnation of Utopia. Also Willie Wilcox who replaced Ellman - very good technique and a good singer.

It may be just me, but I don't think Antonio Sanchez recieves the recognition that he deserves. I don't see much people talk about him. I saw him in a clinic just a week ago, and I was in awe. Such a great drummer and nice guy. I won a free Yamaha T-shirt at the clinic : D

rendezvous_drummer said:
It may be just me, but I don't think Antonio Sanchez recieves the recognition that he deserves. I don't see much people talk about him. I saw him in a clinic just a week ago, and I was in awe. Such a great drummer and nice guy. I won a free Yamaha T-shirt at the clinic : D
I think I agree with you. He's not often mentioned among the masters, and he definitely deserves that.

The fact that he gave you that T-shirt is more than enough for me to respect him. LOL

toteman2 said:
Well my last "most under-rated drummer" (Sean Rickman) is now up on the DW site...Let's try and go 2 for 2...

Pete Drummond is INSANE! I've recently been checking out his stuff, and good god can he play...

Here are some cool examples from his site...petedrummond.com

http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Groove.mp3
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Solo1.mp3
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Solo2.mp3

this other example is a totally different style from the first...It's like Mike Portnoy on steroids...
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_On.mp3

What's up with Australia? There must be something in the water down there because they sure do spawn some amazing drummers...
Pete Drummond is a personal friend ... he actually has a new CD on its way - finished mastering just yesterday ... one word - INSANE. :)

Wile E. Coyote said:
I think I agree with you. He's not often mentioned among the masters, and he definitely deserves that.

The fact that he gave you that T-shirt is more than enough for me to respect him. LOL
Totally man! I jumped up and yelled "YEAH"! when I got it. He's such an amazing drummer, and even before the clinic I didn't know much about him except that he was really into latin music. I was completely blown away. There's a song he does with a band (I cannot remember the name, DAMN). Anyways, the song is 56 minutes long! He was tellin the audience about how he can remember the entire song. It was amazing.

I never hear much about Vinnie Cailuta either. What has he been up to?

Derek Roddy came to mind, then Dave DiCenso also came to mind, but I'm a bit confused here...

To me, being underrated doesn't have much to do with being well known or not. I see underrated as being considered not as good as the judged element (in this case; a drummer) really is. We all know what being famous or not means.

Am I misunderstanding something? I've been away from england for so long...

Regards,
Christopher.

Back