Mic skills and entertaining the crowd

A very little dressed gorgeous female as a frontwoman usually gets the males juices flowing...

:)

Unfortunately, it often pisses off the women who come in and want the attention directed their way, not at the stage. And as many folks know, if you don't get single women in the club, the guys won't follow and you'll be playing to ashtrays. While male frontmen can be total clowns for the women, a woman singer has to try to relate to the other women and try not to be too threatening. The more physically attractive she is, the more she has to downplay that and come off like a girlfriend on ladies night. Not the center of male attention. Might not be politically correct, but political correctness never filled a club.

I don't think Henri was being entirely serious. If he was, I'll kick him in the shins :)

I don't think Henri was being entirely serious. If he was, I'll kick him in the shins :)

I was utterly serious...

...now, seriously, I wasn't serious...

It was something funny about what makes peoples juices flowing? ... it was a bit cliché :)

Unfortunately, it often pisses off the women who come in and want the attention directed their way, not at the stage. And as many folks know, if you don't get single women in the club, the guys won't follow and you'll be playing to ashtrays. While male frontmen can be total clowns for the women, a woman singer has to try to relate to the other women and try not to be too threatening. The more physically attractive she is, the more she has to downplay that and come off like a girlfriend on ladies night. Not the center of male attention. Might not be politically correct, but political correctness never filled a club.

... and the reverse situation doesn't???

The guy who goes to a gig with his girlfriend and she spend the whole night watching the gorgeous frontman doing his stuff and she's saying "he's gorgeous isn't he?"... I don't think the guy will too happy either...

Sex appeal and charisma works both ways, for both genders...

What makes my juices flowing, it's a very good drummer, fully or little dressed... when he's/she's very good, it doesn't matter who's in the front :)

reminds me of weak bar bands going through the motions of stuff they heard on old KISS records saying "it's great the be here tonight!! ...do you feel alright??!!!!" and telling people to tip the bartender

so incredibly tacky to me

like I said....just one mans opinion

Those fall into the category of what not to say, if it were up to me. That's so cheesy. I like it (for instance) when the front guy spontaneously notices an audience member and makes a comment that everyone can relate to or even ask that audience member a funny question. Include them as part of the show, break down the barrier. That's just one little thing. A guy who really knows how to unite a crowd in a fun way is a rare commodity in my world. It's an attitude.

Your general audience member....doesn't know that what you played was hard, or difficult....they don't care. Nor should they. They just want to have fun. It's simple really. The more fun they have, the more they drink and the more they will make it a point to come see the band and the better for all concerned. Granted this probably works best in a dance environment. If it's a jazz gig, that's a completely different situation IMO. But if it's a bar where girls want to dance and party, and the band is the main attraction, a good front person is invaluable. As long as it's not cheese city or cliche county.

Madge, I think he was serious!

a_560x375.jpg

Haga, had we known, we could have ripped our clothes off at the LDS. That would have cured him!

scared-makeup-gif.gif

the band is the main attraction, a good front person is invaluable. As long as it's not cheese city or cliche county.

Agreed Larry, it's called...

large.gif

Your general audience member....doesn't know that what you played was hard, or difficult....they don't care. Nor should they

do you actually know anyone who goes to see a band because what they play is difficult?

I have never heard of that in my life

I'm not sure I'm all that much younger than you Grea

:)

Doesn't need to be much :)

Re the topic, the small club gigs playing lounge music are so different to the old bar gigs I used to play. I think the talk is easier to understand and the rules of engagement are generally different (thankfully).

do you actually know anyone who goes to see a band because what they play is difficult?

I have never heard of that in my life

Lol no. Not a very good choice of words. Not what I meant to say really. I think what I meant to say was Mapex Saturn.

Back