Lightweight Hardware Pack

Just curious, if the Yamaha stuff was working well, what made you switch to the DW?
OCD! 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

Simple as that. Got my first DW set in 2021 and used the Yamaha stuff for about a year more along with the DW drums, but the eye-twitching, teeth-gnashing and hand-wringing that came with seeing one brand of hardware with another brand of drums finally got the best of me. LOL.

Last edited:
I can recommend the DW6000UL. I have used a 2nd hand set for over 100 gigs and it is still working pretty good. All the moving and fastening components are still working well.

Things I have noticed:

The snare basket tilter is a bit weak. I have adapted my technique which means I get a tired back if doing a lot of X-stick

It the weight and size reduction makes set up and take down a lot easier. This is the part of drumming I like the least

The hi-hat stand creeps away if I'm playing fast and using the pedal on the even beats. The spikes in the feet are not that effective

One more thing I forgot to mention was. I do not even try to use my light weight hardware outside. In Kansas, 20 to 30 mile, an hour breezes are very common and if you have a 18 or 20 inch crash in the wind, you really need a heavy tripod.

I've owned the Canopus, Tama, DW UL, and Yamaha Crosstown. And I'd vote for the Crosstowns by a WIDE margin, with the Tamas in second place. I haven't had the "bounding snare stand" problem at all with the Crosstown, though I'd imagine that's because of differences in the way people hit the drums since I've done a bunch of high-volume gigs with it.

I use a set of Yamaha 700 series stands in my studio and the Crosstowns feel like a lighter version of those, which I love. The Crosstowns work better on grass or other uneven surfaces and don't blow over in the wind. I've used 24" cymbals on them with no problem.

I was initially put off by the appearance but now I'm OK with it. I think it looks cooler in person than in photos.

Yamaha AHM w: Paistes Big Band.JPG

I've owned the Canopus, Tama, DW UL, and Yamaha Crosstown. And I'd vote for the Crosstowns by a WIDE margin, with the Tamas in second place. I haven't had the "bounding snare stand" problem at all with the Crosstown, though I'd imagine that's because of differences in the way people hit the drums since I've done a bunch of high-volume gigs with it.

I use a set of Yamaha 700 series stands in my studio and the Crosstowns feel like a lighter version of those, which I love. The Crosstowns work better on grass or other uneven surfaces and don't blow over in the wind. I've used 24" cymbals on them with no problem.

I was initially put off by the appearance but now I'm OK with it. I think it looks cooler in person than in photos.

View attachment 144690
I play with a variety of bands, including a Classic Rock/Country Rock band and I have also not had a problem outdoors or with the snare stand. I am not an overly hard hitter and I have compared the Crosstown snare stand to heavier Yamaha and Pearl stands. There is a little more bounce with the lightweight stand but I have never had a problem with this. I do set the stand feet as wide as possible and this works well for me.

Hey all

I am looking at getting a lightweight hardware pack as I am sick of lugging the mapex b900 stands.

Choices are;

Yamaha
Tama
DW

Did I miss any?

Which one....and why?? Budget not a concern.

Gearless tilter would be good.

Cheers
So I went another direction. I wanted the light weight and simplicity but I also need stability so I bought a bunch of carbon fiber tubes off ebay/amazon, 38MM is the diameter close to 1.5" of Gibraltar/DW tubes, and then I used Gibraltar and DW HW. Mostly DW puppy bones with booms from DW. I configure the "rack" in a stealth approach (what Gibraltar calls it) so my hi hat is one end, attached to a carbon tube to a vertical post tube that goes down to a horizontal "leg" tube. And then I can mount anything off of that side, cymbals, drums, accessories. The other side I do the same except I use two horizontal "leg" tubes for added stability and off that I can mount any number of cymbals, drums, or accessories. That eliminated 3 tripods or about 60lbs. Length of all of my tubes are 500MM which is about 20" but you could go longer if you needed to span further. Was it cheap? Tubes were $50/2 500MM tubes and I needed 8 tubes. I already had all of the gibraltar connectors so no added expense but you would have to buy those as well unless you just used top mounts on the vertical tubes. I'll include pictures if anyone wants to see it set up after my next gig on April 5th. Elegant set up, light weight, quick to set up and tear down. And ROCK solid.
Crash from
www.facebook.com/spincycleband

I bought a set of Gibraltar flat-base stands to hopefully lighten my load. By the time I loaded up my drum throne (base and seat) and my Gibraltar mixer/laptop stand, the weight of my hardware case wasn't much different than the case holding my double-braced DW 3000 stands. The extra 5-10 pounds is worth it for the stability of those stands. I sold my flat-base stands a few months ago with zero regret.

Back