Issues with the base drum foot

theo Milojevich

So for the past few months, and I dont remember exactly when it happened, i have been having troubles with my bass drum foot. It sounds weird i know but its like when I hit the bass drum (heel up) my foot wants to continue pushing down as my leg is trying to lift back up for the next hit. This is throughing off my balence and causing timing issues to the point where I have had to play a whole set heel down just to get through it. Its like I somehow developed bad tech. (maybe playing too hard for a while or being unable to hear my self in my in-ears) and am trying to re-learn correctly. I have tried messing with seat hight and pedal tension. Its deff. an issue internally with me.

Has anyone had this same issue or know of someone who has?

Any suggestions on correcting this problem?

Did you use to play heel down? Sounds like it to me, and now when you play heel up you are continuing with the heel down motion like a follow through. It is difficult to tell without seeing you play. May be if you raise the throne so that you can't reach the floor with your heel it will help. However I'm not sure if this will cause bak or leg problems later on. I play a little of both and have no issues with your particular problem.

If I were you, I would lay off playing for a few days. I've never experienced the problem you are facing, but sometimes taking a break is the best thing you can do.

Mayer in his DVD briefly covers the idea of power and nimbleness of the muscles getting out balance and the difficulties this can cause. This may be the source of your problem. You've put the majority of your playing\practice time into power drumming and it's effected your "touch" playing.

This is just an idea to consider from what you wrote.

Mayer in his DVD briefly covers the idea of power and nimbleness of the muscles getting out balance and the difficulties this can cause. This may be the source of your problem. You've put the majority of your playing\practice time into power drumming and it's effected your "touch" playing.

This is just an idea to consider from what you wrote.

What is his DVD Called? Your talking about Jojo right?

Did you use to play heel down? Sounds like it to me, and now when you play heel up you are continuing with the heel down motion like a follow through. It is difficult to tell without seeing you play. May be if you raise the throne so that you can't reach the floor with your heel it will help. However I'm not sure if this will cause bak or leg problems later on. I play a little of both and have no issues with your particular problem.

I actually never played heel down until I started having this problem. Its not that i am following through with heel down but that my toe is staying pointed and the link between my brain and my foot seems to be interupted almost as if my foot doesnt know when to stop burying the beater.

I appreciate you feedback...

Resurrecting all old topics so I don't get the "search the forum" thing when I bring it up.
Having a somewhat similar problem. Went into it deeper on another post, but I was a combination weird technique drummer but I had an overall GREAT right foot. Doubles were heel-toe but speed of these was great and timing was perfect. I eventually wanted to get better control over longer, fast single foot runs however and heel-toe didnt allow that as much so I started learning heel-up....
Essentially since then I have an almost locked feeling in my foot and calf that has DESTROYED my playing near completely. The right foot not producing the sound my brain is calling for basically stops me dead as far as keeping a groove goes. It's honestly been one of the most if not the most heartwrenching experience of my life and I've been through some stuff...I love playing and I can barely bring myself to get on my kit now

Back