If you could Have Lessons Fron Any Professional Drummer Who Would It Be?

I don't think that macho man, Pete Burns, teaches drums, Kev :)

Pete Burns used to work in a local record shop here. He would look at the record you were buying and mock it and you with the sneering sarcasm.

Benny Greb - I love his feel and his musical approach to kit.
Jojo Mayer - His technique melts my brain regularly.
Chris Coleman - He just seems like he would be an incredible teacher and a great guy to hang out with.

Neil Peart (Rush)
Carmine Appice
Scott Travis (Judas Priest)
Chris Fryar (Zac Brown Band)
Phil Collins
Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)

Gavin Harrison hands down. I've seen interviews with him and clips on youtube of him at drum clinics and he offers up little tidbits of advice that really help my drumming. Moreso than any other drummer ever.

Or it would put you off entirely. You'd see his ghost notes, and yours would sound like a jack hammer... that's demoralising.

EDIT: "yours" generally, not "yours" personally. ;)

Hey Joker (or do you prefer Mighty? :), I was checking out this clip ... have a look at the top-rated comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0fovq9Tbk

It doesn't surprise me since his instructional vids on are so much fun.

I don't know about lessons, but I would love to spend a week hanging out in the studio with Steve Jordan.

Mike Mangini, Derek Roddy, Taylor Hawkins, Jimmy Sullivan, John Bonham, Dave Grohl, Phil Collins, Arin Ilejay, Cobus Potgieter, Yeah, I think that's it. (well, for me anyways.)

Ed Shaugnessy, Tommy Igoe, Steve Gadd, Andy Newmark, Graham Broad, Gordon Marshall or Alan White.

Each one an accomplished session and live player.

Last edited:
Back