How long could it take to be a good drummer.

life is a journey not a destination. when you are good you will want to better and when you are better you will want to be even better. Indian classical musicians believe that you need 3 lifetimes to master an instrument.
there is always something new to learn, another style to explore, another genre to dabble in, another technique to get your head around.
3 hours a day with lessons once a week is a great place to start from. it won't be long before you can hold the beat and lay down a groove. you will get the hang of it in no time.
after that it's up to you. if you are into it you will keep getting better.

oh 4 years hey ? he should be pretty good by now then if he kept at it !

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been drumming for fifteen years, had lessons all my life, played around the world with amazing people and recorded and even played with a hero of mine. I'm backstage now between sets at a gig and I googled "how long to become a good drummer" and found this post.

I don't consider myself a good drummer yet. But I also don't believe in not getting out there and doing it anyway!

Goes to show you are never done. I'm happiest when I'm the best I've been at any one time and I am practising hard. Other than that you just gotta enjoy it as much as possible because in the end it doesn't matter what sounds you make on the drums, what matters is what fun you had and what fun you brought to others.

what is the golden rule for anything?

10,000 hours to master anything?

I think that's fair

2 hours a day, every day for 14 years?

you won't be a master but you'd be damn good.

set goals for yourself and a time frame.. the first few months are rough, learn to read music, rudiments, the stuff that isn't as "FUN"

then learn to play a rock beat, a jazz beat, a few fills, keep growing.. I've played for almost 20 years.. I'm good and some things and need to improve on many more.

just have fun. it's not a race. after a few years of practice you should be ready to join a band which helps a bunch too.

It helps immensely to be musically inclined to begin with. At 11 years old I was drumming in my head long before I got my first kit. Then it was only a matter of developing the proper mechanics and technique, but not having to learn from scratch how to play music, if that makes sense.

So, six years after the OP, wouldn't it be nice to know how this OP turned out? How long did it take before he joined his first band? Or is he still drumming? He only posted 3 times. I need some closure, dammit!

If we were born all equals, with the exact same abilities, talent and DNA's, we could answer the question...

... but (thankfully) we're not, everyone's journey in the never ending drumming trip is different, as long as you're as good as you can be at any stages during the process, you're a good drummer.

I was a good drummer even before I started drumming. :):):)

A Good drummer, as in having natural timing, a natural groove, your own style, and speed, along with tasteful playing. That can take a couple yrs. Being able to make beats naturally without thought, and play fills id say about 3-6 months. Depending on your determination, and practice set up...

Hi everyone. This is a really helpful comment. I'm 54 and I started drums one year ago. I have been taking lessons the whole time, I practice every day (b/w b/w 15 minutes and an hour), and I have a small band I'm forming. I realize "good" is relative, but last night I started wondering if my talent will ever match expectations. Without going into detail, I still struggle with fast kick drum syncopation, and just keeping rock steady - I'm definitely not there yet in spite of many hours with the metronome.

I really want what AADrummer4Life describes - that is my goal. I know everyone is different, but after one year I thought I'd have what he says. Maybe I need to change my expectations, and give myself another year.

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks!

Youth and genetics make a whole lot of difference as to how long it may take.

Vince Colaiuta played flute up until 8th grade.

He switched to drums ,and by 10th grade ,he made PMEA Honors band.

http://district1.pmea.net/home/honors-band-audition-info

He was the only sophomore in its' history to do that up until that point.

In other words ,some folks got it more than others.

Back