Home vs gig

Home vs gig

• Home

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Gig

Votes: 50 82.0%

• Total voters
Now that the baby is on the way I definitely will be playing at home much more often. Again, I have an ekit so I can play essentially silent. I'm playing my last gig tomorrow night before taking six or seven months off to help my wife during her last 9 weeks of pregnancy and to be present as a new father as well as focus on acclimating to my new way of life.

Congratulations! The best gig I've ever had was raising my daughter. I'm super happy for you and your wife!

Due to noise my drums at home are set up for “display purposes only”, but I’ll happily spend an hour air drumming or tinkering with the angle of the ride or something, by a minute amount when everybody else is in bed..
I’ve never really been one for solitary hours of rudiments on a pad, drums to me are “social”, so I only get to let rip at weekly band rehearsals or gigs.

I don’t have a kit set up at home. I have a practice pad, and that’s it.

The only time I play my kit is at full band rehearsal, or gigs.

I’m the same way (almost) in bands where I play guitar. I don’t even have an amplifier in the house. I’ll practice on an unplugged instrument, but the amp & fx are for rehearsals & gigs.

:)

I usually only drum at gigs or in our rehearsal space together with the band or when preparing for a new song. Also, any drum recordings I do for our band happens in that rehearsal space as well.

I do have a small e-kit at home, but that's not seeing much use nowadays, especially not with retired neighbors that already complain about the noise our kids make on a regular day.

So when preparing any music at home, it's mostly programming my drum tracks in Logic to the riffs our guitar player writes so we can bang on them together during rehearsal.

I do a church gig once a week, which will likely increase this fall. My home play is both gig prep and personal improvement. I try to play every day on either set, hand percussion or practice pad to keep up my skills.

I very rarely play at home because of the lack of a space to do it. I do go to my church once a week to practice "drummy" kind of stuff. Peace and goodwill.

I play at home in my shop/studio all the time.I've played with a lot of bands but I'm 68 and don't care about loading and unloading and hauling my drums all over the place anymore.I can play with any band I want with a click on my laptop through my PA.

I like gigs, definitely. Small or less small, even I’m kind of nervous before, I like this tension, I like seeing people reacting to the sound, I like the atmosphere.

I play an old e drum set at home (permanently setup on a rack in the basement) and have acoustic drum sets for gigs and rehearsals. I never play my acoustics at home.

I gig but, honestly, if or when the bands I'm in break up, I'll not seek out new bands. I'll just retreat to basement and happily play along with my Tidal playlists by myself. I'm 68.

Back