Help with buying drum set

im looking to get a nice affordable drum set for under $350. i have some knowledge of what brands make good quality drums, but does anyone have some recommendations?

In Washington, if you want to buy local, you'll probably look at craigslist, and if you have a musicgoround, or a local guitar center store, you could try there.
If you don't mind having something shipped, guitar center currently has 305 used drum sets for $350 or less.

Last edited:
mapex, ludwig, roland, etc. anything really
Well ..... Roland makes e-drums, the other two acoustic ..... so, does it matter to you which?

At your price point, I'd look at Craigslist, and see if anything local looks good. And if you need hardware & cymbals included in that $350, you're looking at probably a used entry level kit being sold by someone who is either giving up, or stepping up into a more expensive set.

Are you also looking for cymbals (hats, ride, and crash) and hardware (snare stand, hi-hat stand, throne, two cymbal stands, and bass drum pedal)? If you want everything for $350 you'll have to buy used off CL or fB marketplace. I would recommend a whole set (everything together) in order to get the most value. It will be beginner quality but will get you drumming while you save for and decide if you want a better kit. Are you near Seattle?

Another nod of the head to local Craigslist/Marketplace here. Just don't be in a hurry - you'll find the right kit within your budget. Plus, as you wait, you can add a few bucks to your drum fund! I spent a bit over six months looking on CL and found my forever drum set.

Another nod of the head to local Craigslist/Marketplace here. Just don't be in a hurry - you'll find the right kit within your budget. Plus, as you wait, you can add a few bucks to your drum fund! I spent a bit over six months looking on CL and found my forever drum set.
What was your forever drum set?

I would really love to pitch in and give you my advice......but unfortunately $350 over here would get you the page the advertisement was on! 🙄

If you want half decent cymbals as well, I think $350 may be really stretching it.

Or maybe get a spiffy snare and stand for $350 and work on your basic stuff with your hands and you'd be cookin' by the time you get your kit.

You would enter a whole new world if you could be a little patient and keep saving your coin.

But in saying that.......jeez, there are some bargains out there in the second hand market.

Pearl Forum or an.old 80s Pearl Export, Ludwig Accent, Mapex Mars, Yamaha Rydeen or Gigmaker...... they are all ripper little kits in terms of build and hardware.

Sound wise?....... maybe a bit meh.

Good luck Skully! ☺️

$350? you're getting, close to scraping the bottom of the barrel Unless some Christmas miracle..

😁 Now watch someone post a mint 65 Slingerland Tiger Red set w/original heads, original stands, Zildjians, cases and a Krupa brass snare
on Craigslist for 300.

That could happen . If the calendar year was 53 years earlier 1970.

Last edited:
I checked my local Craigslist. I'm not in a huge metro area. I'm in Louisville. There were several OK kits with cymbals & hardware for under $500. A few around the $350 mark. Most looked that they had been gigged, so they sounded good enough to the seller to even play them with bands. The "kicker" (yes pun most assuredly intended) is buying for $350 with cymbals/stands/pedal/throne. You can pick up a used Gretsch Cat or comparable good intermediate kit for $350 pretty easy most of the time, but not with cymbals and hardware.

Back