Help re-heading Blacrolite?

jojopassion

I'm trying to rehead an old 5x14 Blacrolite and having trouble putting new heads on it. I was trying an Aquarian coated response 2 and a classic clear on the snare side and they weren't able to get seated properly on the rims. Do I need to get vintage heads to fit the slightly wider rims on the Blacrolite?Should I try different heads? What heads are y'all using on your Blacrolites?

I'm using Aquarian heads on my Blacrolite with no issues (Studio X Coated for batter/Classic Clear Resonate). If you have access to an absolutely flat, level table surface, remove both batter and reso heads, place each side on the flat table with a light source inside the shell. If you can see light anywhere where the shell is touching the table you likely have an out of round shell. I would check that first before ordering any more new heads.

I've had occasional trouble with Aquarian fit. You shouldn't need any special heads for that Blackrolite, though.

My personal preference is for a coated Ambassador topside and a Hazy Ambassador snare side. The coated G1 and Hazy 300 from Evans covers the same ground.

One thing to clarify before you spend $ on new heads - are the heads not fitting easily on the drum, or are the hoops difficult to seat? If it's the hoops, it's worthwhile to ensure they are not bent or warped.

• Like!!
Reactions: I-P
I'd try a Fiberskyn Amb. Dry it out a bit and add some funk (I don't have an Acro or Blacrolite but- works on a Brass (another metal) G sd
should fit too...

I'm using Aquarian heads on my Blacrolite with no issues (Studio X Coated for batter/Classic Clear Resonate). If you have access to an absolutely flat, level table surface, remove both batter and reso heads, place each side on the flat table with a light source inside the shell. If you can see light anywhere where the shell is touching the table you likely have an out of round shell. I would check that first before ordering any more new heads.
I think it is a little out of round, some light peeks out more in some parts of the drum than others.
I've had occasional trouble with Aquarian fit. You shouldn't need any special heads for that Blackrolite, though.

My personal preference is for a coated Ambassador topside and a Hazy Ambassador snare side. The coated G1 and Hazy 300 from Evans covers the same ground.

One thing to clarify before you spend $ on new heads - are the heads not fitting easily on the drum, or are the hoops difficult to seat? If it's the hoops, it's worthwhile to ensure they are not bent or warped.
It's not easily fitting on the heads. It lays on top but can't get fully down, we have tried hammering the head's rim onto the snare itself so it can get snug on but it doesn't work either.

Another thing to note: when we took off the old heads, the old heads were so snug on that it took two people pulling the head and drum apart to remove the heads.

I have an Acrolite from around '82-84. I bought it used almost five years ago, and when I went to change the heads, I discovered a standard Ambassador snare side worked perfectly. The batter side was a different story. I tried both Remo Coated Ambassador, and Evans G1 heads. Both had to be forced on. I went and bought a Vintage Coated Ambassador which solved the problem. I believe the shell became V-shaped, or somewhat conical, due to undue stress from tension, or just the fact that aluminum can distort, or warp. Not to mention the drum could have been dropped. Try the Remo Vintage Ambassador route, as my problem was identical to yours. I needed a screwdriver and hammer to remove the original batter head.

Last edited:
hammer & drum......usually....not good.
light at beds is normal.
measuring tape is friend.....it will tell
measure across shell every few inches around.
hope you get a fit......good luck.

Back