Help identify drum model

Maxx016

Hi everyone, this is my first drum kit and I know very little about it. The only thing I'm certain of is that the floor tom is a wood-fiberglass model probably from the late 70s. All the other components are without fiberglass so it's a mix. Does someone know the name of the model for the bass drum and toms? The drums are in bad shape and I'd like to know if they're worth keeping.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 60
The tom brackets are throwing me, I don't recognize that diamond-shaped bracket. After Pearl went to the 7/8" tom arms, their brackets tended to be shaped in pentagons (home base shapes). The lugs date it the mid-80s or prior, when they did all high-tension lugs for a while.

More references: https://www.vintagedrumguide.com/pearl_drumsets.htm

The tom brackets are throwing me, I don't recognize that diamond-shaped bracket. After Pearl went to the 7/8" tom arms, their brackets tended to be shaped in pentagons (home base shapes). The lugs date it the mid-80s or prior, when they did all high-tension lugs for a while.

The previous owner told me that the tom brackets and hoops might not be from the original model, and who knows what else. I'm not sure. Thanks for the reply.

The drums are in bad shape and I'd like to know if they're worth keeping.
They are worth keeping if they sound good to you. However, you won't know how good they sound without putting new heads on them.

The current heads probably make them sound pretty bad. I can tell just by looking at them.

Upon further contemplation, the badges put the toms at before 1980. So we can safely assume that they're probably 70s vintage.

Hi everyone, this is my first drum kit and I know very little about it. The only thing I'm certain of is that the floor tom is a wood-fiberglass model probably from the late 70s. All the other components are without fiberglass so it's a mix. Does someone know the name of the model for the bass drum and toms? The drums are in bad shape and I'd like to know if they're worth keeping.
They don't look bad.. two things going for them 1)They are traditional sizes- depths- so they are back in style and 2) that 22 bass with metal hoops will be/ should be/ Loud so you can sit in any band with them.
That snare? what is it..Looks like a supraphonic or if it's a steel pearl- you can get more miles from it.
So depending on price it's a great set. Good sizes. Bass on the big side; but you're young you can carry it around, for a few more years/..
Best bonus-they are traditional sizes

The current heads probably make them sound pretty bad. I can tell just by looking at them.
The bottom heads are even worse. I'm replacing them asap. The thing that I'm concerned about is that some lugs are broken (some screws from inside the drum that hold the lugs can't be screwed in) so I don't think that the drums can be tuned properly.

They don't look bad.. two things going for them 1)They are traditional sizes- depths- so they are back in style and 2) that 22 bass with metal hoops will be/ should be/ Loud so you can sit in any band with them.
That snare? what is it..Looks like a supraphonic or if it's a steel pearl- you can get more miles from it.
So depending on price it's a great set. Good sizes. Bass on the big side; but you're young you can carry it around, for a few more years/..
Best bonus-they are traditional sizes
The snare is a pearl mirror chrome steel, I think it came with some export kits. I bought it recently and it's awesome for the price. The price for the rest of the kit was very cheap at least for where I live. The sound of the drums even with bad heads is okay for my taste, I'm just worried that the drums are in a bad shape and that I would need a lot of money to invest in them to sound great and serve me for a long time. There's rust everywhere, the bass drum legs are worthless, some lugs are broken, the toms are too far from my sitting position and i can't reach them properly...

You have Music stores in your area that sell new drums?

You have Music stores in your area that sell new drums?
Yeah, not an option for me because I'm on a tight budget. I was wondering if it was worth it to keep them and invest in some new heads and maybe tom brackets or sell the kit and add some money to buy something like a used 1st gen stage custom...

Dress them up get them as Original as Possible. Play them.
You should be able to find screws for the lugs inside

Dress them up get them as Original as Possible. Play them.
You should be able to find screws for the lugs inside
I'll probably do that, thanks for helping me out. I love the vintage sound, especially the wood-fiberglass floor tom, I wish the whole kit was wood-fiberglass.

I have the lug screws but they can't be screwed in because the part of the lug where the screws go from the inside (I don't know how that is called) is broken. Not all the lugs but some. Not sure if that can be fixed without changing lugs.

You need a used drum- that used those lugs- Sound Percussion was a brand- that Used those lugs. Go to the Music Store ;junk yard; and look around.

Yeah, not an option for me because I'm on a tight budget. I was wondering if it was worth it to keep them and invest in some new heads and maybe tom brackets or sell the kit and add some money to buy something like a used 1st gen stage custom...
Those lugs are called coffin lugs. You're in Serbia ??? Don't know what kinda drum parts sourcing you have available, but these are easy to get on eBay & Reverb (and some sellers will ship overseas see link below).

The wood/fiberglass floor tom would have been from a hi-end (for the time) Pearl kit. The rest of the kit looks like an Export. 8 lug bass drum. I think World Series had 10. (World Series was basically an upgraded Export). I'd count how many lugs you need to replace, figure out what the cost to you would be, and then decide if you want to pursue.

The thing that I'm concerned about is that some lugs are broken (some screws from inside the drum that hold the lugs can't be screwed in) so I don't think that the drums can be tuned properly.
Yeah, that's a problem, because you won't be able to tune them properly. It could also cause some damage to the holes in the shell. Anyway, here's what I'd do until you can find some replacement lugs: Take apart the two small toms and assess the damage. If you have 12 lugs without damage, I'd complete one tom and put the other one away for the moment. No idea, if the Floor Tom and Bass Drum have the same lugs and hole spacing, but if you're lucky you can also swap any problematic lugs on those drums.
While doing this, check the shells for flaws, especially the edges. If the mounting holes for the lugs are worn out, you could use some type of wood filler or resin and redrill once it's dry.
And while you're at it, clean the rods - rust and gunk will make it harder to tune the drums. It'll be a bit of work, but you can probably improve this set a lot for relatively low cost. This might help, too: https://vintagedrumguide.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html

Those lugs are called coffin lugs. You're in Serbia ??? Don't know what kinda drum parts sourcing you have available, but these are easy to get on eBay & Reverb (and some sellers will ship overseas see link below).
I searched for a bit and didn't find those lugs anywhere in Serbia. For sites like eBay and Reverb the problem is the shipping, which might cost more than a whole set of lugs...

In total I think I have 3 broken lugs, 1 on each tom, so that's not really bad right? Also the bottom lugs on the floor tom have some weird cube shaped tension rods and I can't take them off with a regular drum key...

Thanks for replying :)

Yeah, that's a problem, because you won't be able to tune them properly. It could also cause some damage to the holes in the shell. Anyway, here's what I'd do until you can find some replacement lugs: Take apart the two small toms and assess the damage. If you have 12 lugs without damage, I'd complete one tom and put the other one away for the moment. No idea, if the Floor Tom and Bass Drum have the same lugs and hole spacing, but if you're lucky you can also swap any problematic lugs on those drums.
While doing this, check the shells for flaws, especially the edges. If the mounting holes for the lugs are worn out, you could use some type of wood filler or resin and redrill once it's dry.
And while you're at it, clean the rods - rust and gunk will make it harder to tune the drums. It'll be a bit of work, but you can probably improve this set a lot for relatively low cost. This might help, too: https://vintagedrumguide.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html
I've opened all the drums, and the wood is fine, all the holes are okay, edges very good for the age. No need to use wood filler or something like that really... I have 3 broken lugs and I'm considering taking apart the 13 inch tom and swappng broken lugs on the other two toms with It's lugs. Also I'm hoping to find a listing for these coffin lugs somewhere in my area and then complete the whole kit.

I've cleaned the rods and put a little bit of gun oil (not really gun oil but some sort of a lubricant like that) and I''m not sure if that was a smart thing to do. I tried cleaning the hoops with WD-40 and aluminium foil, also not sure if that was a smart thing to do :) . There is so much rust but I really don't think that it could ever come off.

Thank you so much for sending that link, it's really helpful and I'm definitely going to use that information in the future.

I have 3 broken lugs
Good news - I'm sure you'll eventually find some replacements. I don't know where to get the parts in Serbia, but I guess that you should be able to import them somehow without paying too much on shipping and customs. If you're on Facebook, there might be a Serbian drummer group that could help - after all, you're looking for a pretty common replacement part. Best of luck!

Back