Hardest Led Zep song on drums and why

I'm right there with you on those songs. Besides, I've never been in a band that had a singer that could sing like Plant anyway.

What's interesting is that even Bonzo doesn't replicate Bonzo exactly when he played in concert. There were several songs that are changed up when they played live. Of course, Bonzo still plays an incredible version, but just slightly different. And I couldn't replicate either. ;)
IMO Bonham was better live than in the studio always improv. of course the studio stuff is phenomenal but when he played live you really understood the groove & power he had.

Bonzolead

Fool in the rain has always been a toughy for me. I find the main beat really difficult, also the single foot triplets in the beginning of 'Good times, Bad times' is a killer.

Fool in the rain groove is an art I have not been able to master... I have payed around with other versions of Purdy shuffle, but still struggle to make sound natural!

Fool in the rain groove is an art I have not been able to master... I have payed around with other versions of Purdy shuffle, but still struggle to make sound natural!

there is a you tube video with Jeff Porcaro he explains the Purdy shuffle more clearly than anyone i think. just look it up

first note of the triplet isn't on the right foot/kick .

that was Bonzos big trick he never played the 1st note of the triplet on his kick alot of times he played it on his 18" floor tom giving it that wild double bass sound. he had a HUGE bag of tricks thats for sure

Back to the thread..lol...."Dyer Maker" seems easy at first & then you & your bandmates try to jam it & I mean try..lol..this is where the fun begins..Bonham making something simple & powerful yet difficult to master.

Another one of my fav's is "Sick Again" the total off but dead-on groove along with some crazy fills towards the end of the tune..."Physical Graffiti" what a masterpiece.

Bonzolead

Some of Bonham's drumming sounds quite easy - until you try to play it!

Some of his most challenging songs (for me) are Good Times Bad Times (I need a double pedal), The Crunge and Fool In The Rain, among others...

that was Bonzos big trick he never played the 1st note of the triplet on his kick alot of times he played it on his 18" floor tom giving it that wild double bass sound. he had a HUGE bag of tricks thats for sure

In 1969 I saw Zep at the NY State Pavillion.It was general admission and there was no seating unless you sat on the floor.I was glued to the stage which was about shoulder height,and no more than 15 feet from Bonzo.He did NOT use his floor tom to do his infamous triplet in "Good Times".He played it with his Ludwig Speed King only.

That triplet I have heard done by other drummers as well..so It's not impossible to do with a single pedal,Steve Smith being just one of them.The vid is on Youtube.

Steve B

I can do all the Zep stuff, the foot, the long songs-if we jam something. I usually get bored playing to the records though :-( .... but, I CAN'T DO F.I.T.R!!

Each individual part I "get", and a "version" of it I can do, but not the "real" part. The feel of everything together just eludes me--that FEEL thing again!!
I have the Purdie video, the Porcarro video.... I "get" it (do ta ta on the hands etc..), I just can't put it all together...one of these days it'll just click though, and I'll go "oh yeah"....

Gvdadrummasum was able to just pick it up no prob, and early. Shows how we are all different.

Bonham never seemed that hard to me. I think because maybe it's just my natural "mindset" and approach.
Bonham always threw in stuff as he felt it, and the studio version was just that. What happened at that time, on that take.

Ian Paice talks about this a lot too with Purple. People would ask why he didn't play a certain fill exactly as they expected at a show, and he'd say it was always different every time-- a "what comes out at the time" kind of thing.
I P was a cool guy when I met him. I wish there had been more time to talk about a couple other things.

Its funny how we all think stuff came out with no trouble, but there's tapes of them doing it 10 times and getting pissed just like "normal" people haha!

The big thing I liked about 4 Sticks is the sound of the cymbal and the long decay pppsssssshhh.....
The zippy fill at 1:17 in Achillies is pretty dang cool sounding.

The Wanton Song is a favorite. Out on the Tiles is fun of course... it's screwed up in parts, but they just kept it. That's what Jason Bonham told me at a clinic.

Used to play Custard Pie in one band, have done the Ocean, Dancing Days, Misty Mountain Hop is a blast... We play the Rover in one of my bands now.

One KICKASS thing I heard once was, in The Ocean, and as the break down "la la" part ends, instead of it being "space", it comes in as "Blap boom boom boom boom boom crash!" (1 and a 2 and a -the crash is the 1) back into the song. Totally didn't expect it and it blew me away. I do that every time now haha!

The first note of the triplet in G,T.B.T. is on the hat and cowbell. The kick is only playing the second and third note of the triplet. No need to use a floor tom. It's sounds harder than it is.

For some reason,the ghost notes on "Fool in the Rain" give me trouble.

probably because I'm a hack. :)

i just tried Nobody's Fault. it's do-able. i can get the licks and the timing. just a matter of smoothing it out and trying it with the band - which i don't foresee happening because i'm a guitarist. if i were to play it with a band, i'd probably be on guitar.

come to think of it, PMS (my old group) played it a few times. we were good at picking songs that no one else played. it went well.

In response to "when the levee breaks":

The foot work feels unnatural in parts. That, to me, was the hardest part to get down.

Back