Gretsch Quality and Advice after getting a "Dud"

Gretsch has always been hit or miss..as far back as I can remember..and thats a long time...lol..
In the 1980's it was really bad...really really bad...QC that is...a well known drum shop warned me about them..the bad quality..they said..stay away from Gretsch.
But that said..if you want that sound..just dont worry about the quality..as you aint gonna get that sound from anyone else..
If you are anal about this kind of thing..just go Japanese and be done with it.
Kinda like cars..
Buy American..QC troubles..
Buy Japanese..get a good car...lol...
But that said...I still miss that sea green Gretsch set around 1980 that I was looking at..it was so fkn beautiful. Maybe the best ever..
I shoulda bought it..

since summer of 75
have three 1966 sets (Gretsch) and one 2007
two 67 and 71, brass snares one 1965 (had another 66) wood snare
have no idea
about bad luck quality stories
absolutely none
think it's something to do with unfamiliarity going in blind
like a lamb to slaughter

drums are not really that hard to build
I think someone is screwing with your stuff
or some thing..

I've never had bad build mistakes with any brand I've bought that includes used Ludwig ,New Premier, New Tama, Baltimore.
I never had a drum single or a set I can recall with a build mistake
Of course my Timing has always been pretty good

I go in positive and I've only gotten positive back
It's Ju Ju and I think some have bad Ju Ju they didn't realize going in.
And got bit regardless of brand

If you ever have negative second thoughts about something don't do it until they pass
what you negatively think might happen often does
If you're in or sense unfamiliar territory may just be a snake bite waiting for you in the grass

Last edited:
I got a bad Sonor Phonic back in the day. Bought a brand new 10" rustic oak tom as an addition for my jazz kit..the veneer bubbled up a few months later..they refused to replace it. That was the last Sonor drum I ever bought..as their customer service ruined the brand for me.
I have a lot of Gretsch drums from 3 ply to Jasper 6 ply RB to current Renown..and all have been great.
But back in the day the hardware was the weak point for Gretsch..problems there.

knowing the limited details

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the problems some drummers have had with Gretsch drums.
I own a Catalina since 2010 and a Renown since 2014, never had any issues with them.

Qc can be a hit or a miss.

And they tout it as a hand made.

Which is very odd, for such high priced drums with such a legacy.

Here are some horror stories in regards to their waiting time (and QC matters for good measure).

I got a near new mint 1966 Gretsch RB set in 20 minutes
and within 5 hours it was in my garage

can't see any weakness in a USA Gretsch set from 60s NY on up Arkansas era had odd tom mounts as many sets in the 70s were experimenting with tom holders
I think people's problems are in how acquiring goes not in the drums themselves
the roadblocks are in acquiring; that's what you have to watch for; and seek a more direct path. They aren't just sitting on their hands waiting to take your specific order like a McDonald's drive-thru so you go about acquiring- another route and not smash your nose against the wall

ust got back from seeing Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Big Band

Staff Sergeant Wesley Anderson drums and spoke with him after
Thanks for posting that. As a vet, I have a real soft spot for the military bands. Glad he is sharing the Gretsch love around the country.

I'm on my second Gretsch kit; no issues with either one.

Last edited:
since summer of 75
have three 1966 sets (Gretsch) and one 2007
two 67 and 71, brass snares one 1965 (had another 66) wood snare
have no idea
about bad luck quality stories
absolutely none
think it's something to do with unfamiliarity going in blind
like a lamb to slaughter

drums are not really that hard to build
I think someone is screwing with your stuff
or some thing..

I've never had bad build mistakes with any brand I've bought that includes used Ludwig ,New Premier, New Tama, Baltimore.
I never had a drum single or a set I can recall with a build mistake
Of course my Timing has always been pretty good

I go in positive and I've only gotten positive back
It's Ju Ju and I think some have bad Ju Ju they didn't realize going in.
And got bit regardless of brand

If you ever have negative second thoughts about something don't do it until they pass
what you negatively think might happen often does
If you're in or sense unfamiliar territory may just be a snake bite waiting for you in the grass
HUH?
These came directly from Gretsch. It's unlikely anyone was "screwing" with my stuff. This is a QC issue, bottom line. The wrap has specks missing (nobody inspected before applying), the shell had an obvious crack and they covered it up (laziness and QC). Out of round hoops...that can happen, I suppose. Not the end of the world. Gretsch has their opportunity now to make it right. In the meantime, they sound amazing :)

Lesson...never buy directly from manufacturer...
Buy from someone you can return stuff to.
Totally. I should clarify, these were purchased through a dealer. The drums were shipped to dealer, then dealer shipped to me.
I have good news: the dealer is working directly with Gretsch. The advice of "give them an opportunity to make it right" is good advice...so that's my path! Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted. As mentioned, one of the best sounding kits I've ever played. So I have high hopes this will get sorted. :)

Believe it or not, I even TOLD the person who bought my drums about the troubles that I had experienced. He didn't care. There is a certain segment of the drumming population that worships Gretsch drums regardless of these issues. So...you won't have much trouble selling the kit.
As a drumsmith, I'll typically go over a new kit with a fine-toothed wrench to ensure all is well & good. More to your point, I shouldn't have to, but that's been my go-to method for a while.

I left Gretsch about 2 years ago & went to Tama. Mainly because I had a buyer for my Catalina Club kit that was willing to pay me what I bought it for back in 2011. That cash allowed me to seriously upgrade and I don't see myself going back anytime soon.

QC control has really gone to pot of late & if you have a kit that works well and are on the fence about selling it, DON'T!
Let these stories be a lesson to love what you have, over gambling on what you want.

So are you saying that all of the Gretsch hardware is bottom tier or just on the Catalinas? Thx :)
Granted the Catalina I played was a beat to sxht one at GC. A few tuning rods stripped, the Tom mount didn’t really hold well but the sound was fantastic. It was no Yamaha concerning the hardware on it that’s for sure.

Totally. I should clarify, these were purchased through a dealer. The drums were shipped to dealer, then dealer shipped to me.
I have good news: the dealer is working directly with Gretsch. The advice of "give them an opportunity to make it right" is good advice...so that's my path! Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted. As mentioned, one of the best sounding kits I've ever played. So I have high hopes this will get sorted. :)

Good on you! I'm glad you went this route. I think it's a good decision to give Gretsch an opportunity be the hero. I really hope it works out for you. Keep us updated!

I think savvy shoppers spending their $$thousands in today's saturated drum market understand that there's a lot of options available to them and they shouldn't expect anything but an expertly crafted product when purchased new. Especially after the long wait that occurs with some manufacturers.

Hope it all works out and they're keepers for a life of good music making.

Last edited:
Also wrong to take a handful of cases over a hundred years and paint that there is some lack of quality or culture of sloppiness
Frankly if a shop employee dropped that drum at shipping at the factory or was a veneer split then tried to cover it up and ship the drum -if caught he likely would have been taken out behind the building and given a good whipping then fired or stern warning 1

Last edited:
Frankly if a shop employee dropped that drum at shipping at the factory then tried to cover it up
or the freight handlers at any point of the process (from factory to store)... or the store employees... or the freight handlers for the second time (from store to customer). Like, was there any visible damage to any of the shipping boxes?

Question for @jazztubs ... I'm trying to understand how/why it took 10 months to discover the issues you mentioned? Were the drums visually inspected upon arrival or did the issues develop over time? Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand the situation. Thx :)

Last edited:
Back