Good short film about a drummer

he's not dumb. he's not mute. and he's not depressed. he just doesn't doesn't have s*it to say.

his only concern is what time do we hit ?

he is not looking at the store drumset wistfully. he is lamenting the change in style and his place in this world without an abundance of big bands. this is not his world.

when he looks at the same kit at the end, he has reaffirmed - don't nobody need no stinking double bass heavy metal kit. all i need is right here. and i'll play them right in front of you.

Dave is not a bad man. he knows "there is room in the world for both of us".

yes.

That's great. I really enjoyed it.

Some are speculating what the drummer is thinking as he views the big double-bass set in the window. Well, from the filmmaker himself, in response to a question he was asked about it:

Ben,

You bring up a moment in the film that is interesting for me because of the many ways it's been interpreted. The Pawn Shop interpretation makes sense... and works... but that's not what the moment is about. Another interpretation I received is that Dave was coveting the black Pearl set in the window and lamenting the fact he couldn't have them... definitely not what's going on there. The truth is Dave is a guy who worships the classics, a different era, the big band boys, the jazz greats. Thus his signature Radio King set. The Pearl set in the window has a double bass drum, a cascade of cymbals, etc... it's flashy, very arena rock. A kind of music and sensibility that is completely foreign to Dave. Dave has no connection with them or what they represent. For him those drums are just a painful reminder of how NOT in demand he (and the music he loves) is. He looks in the window at those drums and gets that sinking feeling - his dream has passed him by. It is the salt in the wound that is his 40th birthday.
In the end of the film he is once again at that window looking at the Pearl kit. But he has been reborn and is moved to pull out his brushes and play his Radio King snare. He's celebrating who he really is and what he's about. Cause that's enough.
Don't let anyone tell you your dream is over. As long as you're still passionate about what you do and what you love... you're living your dream.
Thanks for asking Ben.
Cheers,
Bill

You're welcome. I do have a diploma, but I'm not a professor. Thanks for your unnecessary sarcasm. Why can't/don't you write what you DO think instead of what you DON'T? Hmm...
So, you come after me with an ad hominem attack, and now you're saying that some well-deserved sarcasm is not necessary? I think it is. Your passive aggressive implications are only necessary to obscure any logical argument.

he's not dumb. he's not mute. and he's not depressed. he just doesn't doesn't have s*it to say.

Nah, he's depressed and he has the social skills of a pebble.

he is not looking at the store drumset wistfully. he is lamenting the change in style and his place in this world without an abundance of big bands. this is not his world.

when he looks at the same kit at the end, he has reaffirmed - don't nobody need no stinking double bass heavy metal kit. all i need is right here. and i'll play them right in front of you.

You nailed that one, though :)

Eyup. Bugeyed with too much crank during the week, stupified into social paralysis, grateful for a kind word, ... gimmie a break. Tired, tired tired.

Im not suggesting we go 'Disney' on drummer ( or musician ) themes, but c'mon film makers, there's got to be other angles to a musician.

Last edited:
Eyup. Bugeyed with too much crank during the week, stupified into social paralysis, grateful for a kind word, ... gimmie a break. Tired, tired tired.

Im not suggesting we go 'Disney' on drummer ( or musician ) themes, and c'mon film makers, there's got to be other angles to a musician.

Always reminds me of The Big Bang Theory ... Penny's musician friend was staying over for a while. Her boyfriend asks where the guy's going to sleep and she replied, "He's a musician. He'd sleep in his vomit if he had to".

We seem to have a bit of a rep lol

On the plus side I liked that he was an artist rather than a wannabe obsessed with "making it", which is very old.

A less romantic but more realistic take on it would be a musician married with kids and struggling to juggle gigging, family and job. Can't you picture it? The boss yelling, the wife nagging, the kids screaming, and the audiences being as quiet as a mouse :)

Wonderful, could have skipped all of the F- bombs but anyway, I think the message is that he was on the verge of giving it up and as far as the kit in the window goes he is saying that he and his kit are still relevant. There is something there about him sharing his birthday with the other drummer, perhaps taking up the torch.
Thanks for sharing.

That's great. I really enjoyed it.

Some are speculating what the drummer is thinking as he views the big double-bass set in the window. Well, from the filmmaker himself, in response to a question he was asked about it:

Ben,

You bring up a moment in the film that is interesting for me because of the many ways it's been interpreted. The Pawn Shop interpretation makes sense... and works... but that's not what the moment is about. Another interpretation I received is that Dave was coveting the black Pearl set in the window and lamenting the fact he couldn't have them... definitely not what's going on there. The truth is Dave is a guy who worships the classics, a different era, the big band boys, the jazz greats. Thus his signature Radio King set. The Pearl set in the window has a double bass drum, a cascade of cymbals, etc... it's flashy, very arena rock. A kind of music and sensibility that is completely foreign to Dave. Dave has no connection with them or what they represent. For him those drums are just a painful reminder of how NOT in demand he (and the music he loves) is. He looks in the window at those drums and gets that sinking feeling - his dream has passed him by. It is the salt in the wound that is his 40th birthday.
In the end of the film he is once again at that window looking at the Pearl kit. But he has been reborn and is moved to pull out his brushes and play his Radio King snare. He's celebrating who he really is and what he's about. Cause that's enough.
Don't let anyone tell you your dream is over. As long as you're still passionate about what you do and what you love... you're living your dream.
Thanks for asking Ben.
Cheers,
Bill

Thank you for taking the time to research this enough to help put it all in perspective. That shed's a different light on it for me.

For some reason I did not make the pawn shop connection with the JJ kit, as if someone else pawned it off because the "band thing" was'nt working out.

Amost like he was serinading that kit at the end.

I think you're right but we all know the REAL reason is conservatism ... that it would be intolerably radical in entertainment to have vocals only accompanied by drums for an extended period! I mean ... it's ONLY drums ... *sigh*

IMO it would have been much more poignant if they panned into closeups of the musicians and rapturous guests during the performance and, with each closeup, the other instruments faded in and, as they panned out, the other instruments would fade away.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea - - -

Ben,

Well well said. That is what I was trying to get at when I said that scene "set the tone of the generation gap between what's happening now vs where he is coming from" but your explanation is much better.

You nailed that one, though :)

not to mention that he pulled the singer. oh sure the sleepy guys were added for comic relief, but yea...he pulled the singer.

walk softly and carry a big stick.

[get it ? drummer...stick...a hee heeeeeeeeeeeeee]

Back