Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin
I was just wondering if you would be coming to Spain with Porcupine Tree.So I could see you perform live with the rest of the band.
Oh! by the way if you're doing any clinics in Spain with SONOR. Let me know!
Cheers very much!!

DPenalver

Hey Gavin,

Heard the preview of the new PT album on myspace and it sounds fantastic... Cant wait to get that 5.1 version and turn it up very very loud ! So glad you guys are doing 5.1 mixes because I am spoiled on 5.1 music to the point where stereo sounds a little boring.

I wanted to ask you about timing. I have a lot of trouble playing with a click track it seems. I find myself coming out of fills a little bit off and my groove is just not there ! It's almost like the click is castrating my abilities or just messing with my head. Funny thing is that when I turn off the click and we record the tempo and groove sounds just fine as well as coming out of fills. I am no computer so I know the tracks do "breathe" a bit and are not perfectly metrical. Do you think this is a bad thing ? I mean if it sounds good to the listener isnt that good enough ? I know this is something I need to work on but I have to admit that I cant stand a click track in my ear. There must be another way to practice in metrical perfect time. Very excited about the new cd Gavin. You and Rush with new discs ?!? Alex Lifeson on the new PT ?!?!? Im giddy like a school girl !

Thanks,

Hi Gavin,
I have yet another question I'm afraid. I have a few PT boots and of course I own the official dvd but there is something seriously lacking from all the live shows...a bloody live solo mate! I know it's currently the done thing NOT to solo but myself and no doubt myriad others would love to hear one. Is there any official recordings that does feature a Gavin Harrison live solo? From any era of your career?...I'm not fussy.
Thanks for your time yet again.

Ogg.

Hé Gavin,

Love your drumming , really dig your style, sound and chops.

Watching you play I noticed that you sit rather low. Exactly the way I play drums. I find this the most balanced way to play.
Is this something you put a lot of thought in or did it just happen.
I heard Thomas Lang talk about having his knees a little lower than his hipjoints in order to play fast foot ostinato's. Do you think that your seat height affects your double bass playing or do you think this has no affect at all.

Maybe I'll be going to Frankfurt, so hopefully see you there

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
it depends who's listening. If you and your band mates think that it sounds fine then go ahead without a click. If you want to use sequencers and quantised keyboard/percussion parts - then you're going to have to get good at playing with a click. I know most producers would insist on recording with a click. The track can still breathe and have a nice feel even if you are playing with a click. The only way to get good at it is to really practice with it and really listen carefully to the results. You have to subdivide the beats correctly. If you find yourself out with the click after a fill - then you may have rushed it by not subdividing the beats properly.

Cheers
Gavin

I wanted to ask you about timing. I have a lot of trouble playing with a click track it seems. I find myself coming out of fills a little bit off and my groove is just not there ! It's almost like the click is castrating my abilities or just messing with my head. Funny thing is that when I turn off the click and we record the tempo and groove sounds just fine as well as coming out of fills. I am no computer so I know the tracks do "breathe" a bit and are not perfectly metrical. Do you think this is a bad thing ? I mean if it sounds good to the listener isnt that good enough ?

Hi dannypenalver,
we have no plans at this moment for gigs in Spain - but we are going to tour Europe later this year - so let's hope so.

Hi Ogg,
I don't really do the classic type of 'drum solo' where everyone goes off the stage and leaves the drummer to play a huge solo for 20 minutes. I'd rather improvise over a section - such as the end of "Hatesong". I don't think I've done the classic solo since my Renaissance days in 1983.

Hi Drizzle,
Yes I like to sit low - 19.5 inches to be precise - I've tried many different heights but that feels just right to me. I've always preferred the feeling of sitting behind the kit rather than on top of it - but each to his own. I know I can't play the pedals as well if I sit a lot higher.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin.
Just got your Rhythmic Visions DVD. Very interesting and answers a lot of queston for me personally. I notice that, on this occasion at least, your playing is quite light. Is that important when playing with such precision? Do you tend to be a light player in general and do you think such well executed grooves and fills can be accomplished by a heavy handed drummer? I've played loud heavy rock for so many years I find it difficult NOT to hit the drums hard which may prove to be a handicap when it comes to more subtle, clever chops etc. Lastly, is that a Delite kit your using on the DVD? Nice tuning!

Hey Gavin-

Got a quick question (You have probably answered this before) how many cotton balls do you place inside your toms for the sound you want? is it personal preference?

I heard the sound bites for the new Cd off of PT's myspace...can't wait till the release so to PURCHASE PT's songs and not DL illegally. Sorry, I'm just tired of the illegal DL's.

Have a GREAT day GH!

-Rob

Gavin,

After watching your drummer world clips about 50 times over the last month I could no longer resist and purchased rhythmic horizons. I had planed on getting both however rhythmic visions appears to be out of stock. Any idea when there may me more copies available ? Cant wait to sink my teeth in to some new inspiration !

Hi Pywacket,
I think because I recorded it at home - that's the kind of volume I tend to play at when I'm practising. I know that when I play in a band I tend play much louder (and usually regret it after the first few songs). It very hard to resist when you've got the adrenaline rushing round.
On that first DVD "Rhythmic Visions" I think I'm using Vic Firth 5a Extreme - when I play with Porcupine Tree I use Vic Firth Rock Hickory which are about three times bigger.
I think you lose some articulation when you start hitting much harder - but if you're playing rock music you need the heavy intention - otherwise it doesn't come across properly. So you have to work harder to make LOUD backbeats and (not so quiet) ghost notes cut through.
Yes it is a Sonor DeLight on that DVD.

Hi crookedrook,
I'm now trying something different in the floor tom. I've made a few "zero" rings out of old drum skins - and I lay one inside the 14" floor. It's the same principle as with the cotton wool - it should act as a subtle 'gate' by moving off the head and then resting on it again. I made a few of different sizes to find the right amount of muting.

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
I don't know when I will have some more "Rhythmic Visions" in stock. You may find that DVD elsewhere - it is on general release. Hope you enjoy Rhythmic Horizons.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Liquid_ Drummer. I got Visions off Amazon last week. It got the juices flowing and I'm now eager to get my hands on Horizons and tickets for PT's Bristol gig in April.

I hope it gets the juices flowing for me as well. I need some inspiration big time. I have not felt any growth in my drumming in a long time. Well I take that back. I was working on the moeller and my left hand was starting to come alive in traditional grip however this was all practice pad work and when I began to apply it to the kit I found that I cant stand playing technical hard rock in traditional grip. Seems that the improved speed and rebound techinques I had been working on for my left hand weakness do not transfer over to matched grip very well. Well, to make a long story short I am going to use this dvd as a foundation for some reinvention. Due to my job I just dont get to play everyday like I used to so I have a practice pad at work and on my lunch I sit in the stairwell and practice to the amusment of my co-workers. I feel stale behind the kit and I think that Gavin's ideas are just what I need injected in to my brain !!

Couldn't agree more with that last sentence. I use practice pad, acoustic kit and a TD20 electric set up and each feels totally different.The rudiments I can do around the kit on the Roland with it's, imo, ott bounce I find difficult when behind the acoustic kit. The power I can play with on the acoustic is sadly lacking on the electric. For me at the moment, trying desperately to re-invent my drumming, it's a trade off and I'm seriously considering kicking the electric stuff into touch and concentrating on real heads only.

wow, excellent to see Gavin himself here~

what an inspiring drummer! Love your work with PT, and I've recently learned that you worked with Mick Karn, another favorite of mine.
I've found your work VERY inspiring of late, I really dig the concepts and design aspects involved in your style. Motivating to no end!
Hoping to catch a show eventually.

just wanted to express some admiration- no one has moved me to work harder in the studio lately than GH!

Anyone looking to get Rhythmic Visions can find it on amazon.com. Mine will be delivered today ! Cant wait !

Gavin,

I read that you sat low on the throne. 19.5 inches ? Just curious, how tall are you ? I am wondering if I can get better pedal action by trying different throne heights.

Damn...I knew you were tall but I didnt expect you to be that tall at the height you sit!

I'm 6'5" and if I try and play on a low stool I start getting cramps in my thigh muscles....whats your secret?!

Back