Gavin Harrison here!

The drums at the begining of the song mellotron scratch. Are they sampled-drums or did you just put some kind of effect on them after you recorded them?

Cheers!

Gavin, first of all, thanks for your continuing help with the answers to our questions! It's an honor to have such a talent helping us on the drumming world!

But I need some enlightment...

I have this trip to London that I'll make exactly in October, I'll be there for 2 weeks. Actually, it'll be quite an experience since I'm going to follow a 2-week session at Abbey Road, cool huh?

Anyway, I was planning on going to the Indigo2 concert, but unfortunately it's sold out! Since I don't know how is the ticket system in London, I was looking for some help, 'cause I'm coming all the way from Brazil and I really wanted to see you guys. Do you know if there's any possibility the venue making more tickets available prior to the show? I REALLY need a ticket and if there's not any way I could get them through the venue, I'll have to stay outside the venue waiting for someone give up a ticket! Hope I can find a way to see you guys, it would really be a dream come true to me!

I'm SO sorry to bother you with this, but I'm researching ANY possibilities to get a ticket! Again, sorry to bother you!

Congratulations on one more MD Reader's Poll and best wishes!

Heitor.

Hello again,

so as it turns out...im gona be upgrading my kit in about a month
these guys at mapex are giving me an A level endorsement scheme and 30% off on Mapex Saturn (the kit that chris adler uses)
however i seem to be hell bent on buying a sonor....BUT my budget for a 5 piece is uptp 2000 USD
now force 3005 is available for around 1000 USD
i was wondering if theres any kit that costs between 1500-2000 USD
the SQ2 and Designers are obviously waayyyyy out of my budget

this is my current setup :)

one of my bands managed to record a song for a mainstream hindi movie at the best studio in India
i made the sound engineer listen to Trains and requested him to get my kit as well as the band to sound like Porcupine tree :D
id really appreciate it if youd review
1) the song
2) the drum phrasing
3) drum sound
4) production

the lyrics are in hindi so dont bother trying to get them :)
unless you know the language :)

thanks again :)

Attachments

• Rabbi-almost final.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 617
Hi DTrocks

The drums at the begining of the song mellotron scratch. Are they sampled-drums or did you just put some kind of effect on them after you recorded them?

They are programmed sampled drums.

Hi Heitor

Anyway, I was planning on going to the Indigo2 concert, but unfortunately it's sold out! Since I don't know how is the ticket system in London, I was looking for some help, 'cause I'm coming all the way from Brazil and I really wanted to see you guys. Do you know if there's any possibility the venue making more tickets available prior to the show?

I know the concert has sold out - and we have no control over the ticket sales or have any way of getting extra tickets. As far as I know they do not hold any reserve of tickets.

Hi drumbumhamza

my budget for a 5 piece is uptp 2000 USD
now force 3005 is available for around 1000 USD
i was wondering if theres any kit that costs between 1500-2000 USD
the SQ2 and Designers are obviously waayyyyy out of my budget

S-Classix ?...but I've no idea what they cost.

id really appreciate it if youd review
1) the song
2) the drum phrasing
3) drum sound
4) production

All good.

For those of you who are curious to see a bit of my performance at DRUMMER LIVE 08 there's a new video over at Vic Firth's site

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/harrison.html

It's the first track of my CD with 05Ric called "Unsettled"

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I've seen that video over at Vic Firth - great job!! I remember way back in this forum asking you how intense that recording session was for you and you mentioned it was very challenging. And that you might be a little nervous if you were asked to play it live. I can tell how proud you are of your drumming on the 05Ric album, and I want you to know it was just terrific to see you play Unsettled LIVE! Awesome job! You know, if you had time you could make an "advanced instructional DVD" on your drumming concepts for 05Ric alone! I know I would buy it...and you'd keep me very busy for months!

How soon until another 05Ric album?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Gavin,

Do you have any special tricks for memorizing and playing long/complicated songs, such as "anesthetize"?. I'm well aware of the theory behind Time signatures, phrasing, note values, etc. Besides relentless practicing, is there any tricks you've picked up over the years that has helped you?

Cant wait for you and the Crimson guys to put out a new record. I know you guys are going to do some shows in the US. Is that a mini tour, which will be possibly lead to a larger more thorough tour of the states?(most notably the Los Angeles area)

Sorry if someone has asked you any of this. I looked around for that question, and didn't see it.

I dont know if you remember my last post, but i mentioned that I played 19 days at my Berklee audition. It went very well, by the way.

Thanks for your time on this website.

mike.

Hey Gavin!

Just one question, that I came to think about the other day. Did you listen to porcupine tree (or any of steven's projects) before acctually joining the band?

Hi Zildjian232

Do you have any special tricks for memorizing and playing long/complicated songs, such as "anesthetize"?. I'm well aware of the theory behind Time signatures, phrasing, note values, etc. Besides relentless practicing, is there any tricks you've picked up over the years that has helped you?

If you're using a backing track of any kind - then it's really easy. Record vocal cues for yourself on a separate track that only you can hear (or you can put makers in the click track). Other than that I usually have a chart written out - and it's just a question of playing it many many times before it sinks in. Occasionally you have to count (which I really don't like doing) but sometimes it's the only way.

Hi DTrocks

Did you listen to porcupine tree (or any of steven's projects) before acctually joining the band?

Short answer - no.

cheers
Gavin

Do you have any special tricks for memorizing and playing long/complicated songs, such as "anesthetize"?. I'm well aware of the theory behind Time signatures, phrasing, note values, etc. Besides relentless practicing, is there any tricks you've picked up over the years that has helped you?.

On the Rhythmic Horizons DVD he talks about a visual association system that's good for counting long sections. Say, for instance, you have to count a part that goes for 10 bars and you use five toms, you could look at one tom at the start of each bar and start over at the first tom after five bars to save yourself from having to count up to 10. I've used this system quite a lot in my own playing; even if its a part that goes 32 times or something, using everything on your kit--shells, cymbals, hardware--you can usually come up with enough combinations of things to last for that whole part. I like this system because I am a big fan of anything that lets me take my mind off of counting and timekeeping and lets me concentrate on other things like feel and improvisation (this is also the reason I like playing to clicks).

Of course as Gavin says, there's no replacement for just playing a part hundreds of times until you can just play it on autopilot.

I got introduced to Gavin by the singer of my band bring along a Porcupine Tree Cd, In Absentia. I sat down and listened to a few tracks and i thought it was good but nothing to amazing, then my singer stood up and changed the track to a song called The Creator Has A Mastertape and i loved it from then on with the complex polyrhythm between the hands and feet, I then went back of all the tracks and just listened out for the drums and i realised that there is alot hidden in these drums, after that i was hooked. I then got more of the albums(eg Deadwing). I was inspired by the creativity of Gavin and the way that he could come up with groove that no one else could play but everyone else could listen to, so he has the perfect balance.

I then went and his dvd set and could not stop trying to learn his stuff even though it was too hard but i pushed myself and am now getting there, so i should thank Gavin, for his mastership of his instrument has made me into the drum i am today.

So for any drummer who want to be amazed watch this, and just wait until 1:20 for the beauty that is Gavin Harrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNViiEpx8Y

Hey Gavin

May i ask how you do that high hat fill in the song Swerve (it is at about 1 minute 20 sencond)?

hello,
another recording related question

after we recorded our song, there was this band from UK that had come down to record some fusion stuff with an Indian artist
now their sound engineer....reversed a speaker....so it works like a mic.....and attached it (using a metal extinguisher can for support) to the bass drum resonant skin....
our sound engineer said it was to capture some low end bass rumble or something...
have you come across such a setup ?

hello,
another recording related question

after we recorded our song, there was this band from UK that had come down to record some fusion stuff with an Indian artist
now their sound engineer....reversed a speaker....so it works like a mic.....and attached it (using a metal extinguisher can for support) to the bass drum resonant skin....
our sound engineer said it was to capture some low end bass rumble or something...
have you come across such a setup ?

I've used this in a couple of recordings. It's the same thing as a Yamaha sub kick, but luckily it's pretty easy to build one so there's no reason to pay out the ass for one from Yamaha. I used one on a recent recording that was just a speaker cone wired in reverse housed in a wooden box and attached to a tom arm on a small stand. It is really good for picking up low end off of the kick.

Hi odrummer,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNViiEpx8Y
May i ask how you do that high hat fill in the song Swerve (it is at about 1 minute 20 second)?

yes it's very simple. Groups of 3/16 between the right hand, left hand & the hi hat foot. Then I just double the notes in my hands. So it's still a group of 3/16 one is the hi hat foot then 2 32nds with my right hand on the hi hat and then 2 32nds on the snare with my left hand. At that speed it sounds like a continuous roll.

Hi drumbumhamza,

as NeuroAxis said - Yamaha make this kind of thing. I actually bought one - but sent it back as I didn't like it.

cheers
Gavin

I've used this in a couple of recordings. It's the same thing as a Yamaha sub kick, but luckily it's pretty easy to build one so there's no reason to pay out the ass for one from Yamaha. I used one on a recent recording that was just a speaker cone wired in reverse housed in a wooden box and attached to a tom arm on a small stand. It is really good for picking up low end off of the kick.

oh :)
thanks
hehe it looked kinda weird to me

Hi Gavin...

I have a technique question...

I recently put on Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales album which features the brilliant drumming of Vinnie Colauita.

Anyway as I was trying to play along to the song Seven Days, I found it challeging to play the fast 16th notes he does on the hihat.
To me he plays 16ths and accents every quarter note RrrrRrrr, and the song being in 5/8 the hihat pattern overrides, am I right???

On the video it looks like he makes the motions of playing only the 8thnotes while at the same time playing Rrrr, as I mentioned earlier. Playing it like playing 8th notes makes the overriding easier, because of the placing of the bass and snaredrum..

How would you play this rhythm, motionwise.. also like cycling 8th notes or only accenting the quarter note???

And do you play it thumb up or thumb down on this tempo???

I know it might be hard to explain, but please try

Hey Gavin ,

I bought recently a Sennheiser MX 460 ( i think the dont make the 400 anymore.. ). I heard it and i thought it has extreme high snareoutput on records .. do you feel that similiar to yours?

Another Question .. im searching for an Hi-Hat Mic , i know you where using the AKG C 391( which is available in Germany for 269 € ) do you use it live also? And why did you prefer a very cheaper mic that e.g. your overheads?

Finally , how you set up your hi hat mic and did you use effects or eq's on it?

very thankful ,

B.

Hi Drizzle

Anyway as I was trying to play along to the song Seven Days, I found it challeging to play the fast 16th notes he does on the hihat.To me he plays 16ths and accents every quarter note RrrrRrrr, and the song being in 5/8 the hihat pattern overrides, am I right???

Correct.

On the video it looks like he makes the motions of playing only the 8thnotes while at the same time playing Rrrr, as I mentioned earlier. Playing it like playing 8th notes makes the overriding easier, because of the placing of the bass and snaredrum..
How would you play this rhythm, motionwise.. also like cycling 8th notes or only accenting the quarter note??? And do you play it thumb up or thumb down on this tempo???

First off - he's miming on this video - it's just a playback thing going on. I would do the same motion for this rhythm - and play thumb on the side (more German grip than French).
A good track to play along to and build up right hand 16ths stamina is Michael McDonalnd's "I Keep Forgettin'". You soon realise that Jeff Porcaro had incredible control to make it feel that smooth over 5 minutes.

Hi Trains'

I bought recently a Sennheiser MX 460 ( i think the dont make the 400 anymore.. ). I heard it and i thought it has extreme high snareoutput on records .. do you feel that similiar to yours?

I don't know what you mean.

Another Question .. im searching for an Hi-Hat Mic , i know you where using the AKG C 391( which is available in Germany for 269 € ) do you use it live also? And why did you prefer a very cheaper mic that e.g. your overheads?

Live, our sound engineer likes the Neumann KM183 on the Hi Hat. For overheads at home I now use a pair of Neumann TLM103's

Finally , how you set up your hi hat mic and did you use effects or eq's on it?

I have pointing down near the edge of the top cymbal (about 3 inches above it when the hi hat is open). EQ wise I just roll off all the low end frequencies - that's it.

cheers
Gavin

Hey,

sorry for my awful english :-/

I will try it a second time .. i ment , have the sennheisers a different sound through the inearplug ( the custom thing.. ) ?

And i forgot a question.. do you already know which concert you will film for the dvd? I would like to travel to that concert so .. ;-)

Thanks for your time and sorry for the worse english

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

I have 2 questions:

First one about tuning
You once posted on this website:

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 5th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

which would be in correspondence with

tom 5 G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

What would you recommend if you have a 3-tom setup? For instance (from small tom to larger tom) A - Eb - G or recommend A - D - A

--

Second, I would like to know something which you played on your instructional DVD Rhytmic Horizons.

It's in the chapter of 'Overriding' and then the DVD player says chapter 16 of 'Overriding'. The fill leading you in the groove after the snare notes is that kick-kick-lowtom-snare snare-snare. Would be really cool if you could explain it a bit further since it's quite up to speed there (I want to apply it to my one basspedal setup which can be done, but I would like to know the exact thing).

Thanks!!

Back